IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest ex-voto

hah! i did both--IN THE SAME DAY!

liek ah bawss

edit: it sure wasn't as alpine and romantically french as the movie tho :D

LOL YESTERDAY you were crying for your mom, stating the route was too difficult...

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Bruges is great. Looking forward to the director's next movie

Yeah In Bruges gets better on repeat viewings. Weird but very good film. And yes, Colin Farrel slays it...completely overturned any preconceptions I had about him as an actor. It was like watching Brad Pitt actually be good in a movie, but better, since even at his best Brad Pitt is kinda shit.

I just re-watched Kaboom

10_kaboom_560x863.jpg

and still love it. Quite unique... If I would be the director I would be very proud of having made this film before the end of the world :sorcerer:

ride the high country - kind of plodding (maybe intentional to reflect the old-timers' struggle) until some unsettling strawdogs-esque weirdness and an awesome all-guns-blazing finale. still a beautifully shot western. 7.4/10

Abre los ojos - Original Spanish version of Vanilla Sky. Never seen Vanila Sky and had zero idea what this was gonna be about. Pleasantly surprised though figured the twist out prettty soon. Plus I am completely in love with Penelope Cruz so that's always a bonus. 6.6 / 10

36 - French police thriller pitting Daniel Auteil's good bad cop against Depardieu's bad bad cop. Unusually hollywoodesque for French cinema, in fact had the feel of a Western set in modern Paris. Again had no idea what I was getting as I don't like to read blurbs or watch trailers so another pleasant surprise. 7 / 10

I found Dead Man Shoes pretty awful, don't get the praise for it.

i too didn't get the praise for it but i didn't think it was awful more just mediocre. I liked the whole scene where he makes everybody take too much acid, but beyond that it was underwhelming

Guest Coalbucket PI

Indiana Jones 4 - maybe after all this time of hearing it was awful I expected less, but it was really good. I'm fine with the alien aspect but it just didn't need that ending. Marianne is still nice.

Deathproof - a lot better than I expected even if it's a bit of a mess. It's either extended Tarantino conversation in a car/bar or a violent car chase. Fun though.

Kite Runner - very solid adaptation of the book. I cried a bit but I think I was more remembering the emotions from the book which made me sob like a wild bitch a few years ago

edit: thought of some more

Planet Terror - enjoyed it but it goes on a bit aimlessly for a while before getting shamelessly stupid which was what it was supposed to be about

Le Donk & Scor-Zay-Zee - pleasant, nothing really happens and Considine is playing the same guy from Rome Brass pretty much. A few lols from Scor Zay Zee, something about his pronunciation of 'keyboard'

Stroszek - yeah, bizarre, amazing ending but lost me a bit in the middle

...and we need to talk about kevin. i feel all fuzzy inside.

I was kinda disappointed by it.

I knew before starting the movie that it was about a boy who kills a bunch of pupils at his school... but because of this I wasn't really sure if it was supposed to be a big twist or what? Left me kinda confused and I think it might also be the reason why I thought it was a bit boring

Now Final Destination 5 on the other hand... 999/10

For the record, Dead Man Shoes is one of my favourite movies of all time. If you don't like it I don't think I can make you understand why, but it's about the atmosphere, the candid realism, brother-brother relationship, and absolutely depressing story. Like everything else Shane does, in every single scene it feels like you're there, it does alot with a very small setting.

Guest ex-voto

I watched insidious yesterday, was too tired to think of something else;

somewhat of suspense in the beginning/ 10

starting to lose its suspense, and some introduction of funny elements in the middle / 10

director lost his mind in the end/ 10

the page turner - Plodding but short French "thriller" revolves around the revenge of a young woman on the pianist who caused her to fuck up her piano recital as a 10 yr old girl. Predictable but very watchable. Probably because Déborah François is now the new love of my life. ---- 6 / 10

deborah_francois.jpg

t01.jpg

:wub:

Archived