IGNORED

Skrillex - Discuss, Debate, Praise, Hate

YEK

Guest funkingwithdata

After reading this and the other Skrillex is a douche threads.... I have come up with one conclusion:

deadmau5 hired Skrillex to get the internet hate machine off his back.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

considering all three were djing at raves here for many years, you are incorrect. its just funny when someone labels goldie "rave" thats all. the use of the word rave as a genre is rare and mostly inaccurate and entirely different from when people use the word as an all encompassing title for a culture/movement/period.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

The "rave" genre

The genre "rave", also known as 80s hardcore by ravers, first appeared amongst the Acid House movement in the UK during the mid 1980s as a reaction to New Beat. While New Beat usually borrowed an aggressive industrial sound, rave tended to borrow New Beat's elements that were harder than Acid House, while retaining the neutral mooded sound of Acid House. Rave tended to be a happy genre that favoured synthesised melodies over the duller sound of the TB-303 in order to attract a wider audience. The genre was later reestablished as oldskool hardcore, which lead onto newer forms of rave music such as drum n bass and jazzstep, as well as other hardcore techno genres, such as gabber, hardstyle and happy hardcore.

I would not consider rave a genre but more like what Sneaksta said.

considering all three were djing at raves here for many years, you are incorrect. its just funny when someone labels goldie "rave" thats all. the use of the word rave as a genre is rare and mostly inaccurate and entirely different from when people use the word as an all encompassing title for a culture/movement/period.

Incorrect about what?

I guess nobody's ever played Shy FX, DJ Zinc or Aphrodite at a 90's, UK rave in this little alternate reality either?

That was sarcasm. I'm aware that they are rave djs (more specifically, drum and bass djs who spun at raves). I'm pretty sure that I've seen all 3 of them at raves, myself.

Let me clear this up.

I never used the term as a "genre" label. I was arguing from square 1 basically that drum and bass is a genre of music played at raves, which is what you seem to be saying. Being someone who has personally attended dozens of raves, I seem to consider myself somewhat of an authority on them... to a certain extent. I can guarantee I've heard LOTS of drum and bass spun at these actual raves I attended (in the mid-90s, to be specific), a good chunk of them being strictly drum and bass parties.

As far as Goldie is concerned, I have personally been in the attendance at multiple, mid-90s raves where Goldie's tracks have been spun by multiple different DJs (not to mention numerous other tracks by different artists releasing on his record label, Metalheadz). It is quite possible I may have even attended a rave he was spinning at. He did that quite a bit.

I also happen to be an actual jungle DJ, with hundreds of old school jungle 12"s (some of which are Goldie's) turntables and the whole bit. I have been since the 90s. I gained interest in the jungle/dnb genre primarily through my attendance of actual raves.

I know enough about jungle/dnb that would qualify me to say that it is a genre synonymous with raves, much like acid, trance, house, techno, hardcore, grabber, etc.

We may have a misunderstanding here?

The "rave" genre

The genre "rave", also known as 80s hardcore by ravers, first appeared amongst the Acid House movement in the UK during the mid 1980s as a reaction to New Beat. While New Beat usually borrowed an aggressive industrial sound, rave tended to borrow New Beat's elements that were harder than Acid House, while retaining the neutral mooded sound of Acid House. Rave tended to be a happy genre that favoured synthesised melodies over the duller sound of the TB-303 in order to attract a wider audience. The genre was later reestablished as oldskool hardcore, which lead onto newer forms of rave music such as drum n bass and jazzstep, as well as other hardcore techno genres, such as gabber, hardstyle and happy hardcore.

I would not consider rave a genre but more like what Sneaksta said.

I would agree.

i saw a middle aged methhead at costco today wearing a badly stained deadmau5 sweater. she had a daughter that she had given skrillex hair. no lie.

i saw a middle aged methhead at costco today wearing a badly stained deadmau5 sweater. she had a daughter that she had given skrillex hair. no lie.

:cerious::facepalm: and this is why I hate people sometimes...

LMAO

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS

Brostep is music for true cocksuckers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmEhCDRvQKA&feature=share

sigh

dude, he's clearly pretty skilled with that MPC

the music is not to my taste, but he knows what the fuck he's doing.

so... i don't really get the hate here.

Guest Backson

Yeah, was about to say.

Araabmuzic is a cool dude. He's not some brostep dude, he just chops up different stuff on the MPC. He did it with Cannibal Corspe too.

Yeah, was about to say.

Araabmuzic is a cool dude. He's not some brostep dude, he just chops up different stuff on the MPC. He did it with Cannibal Corspe too.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS

Brostep is music for true cocksuckers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmEhCDRvQKA&feature=share

sigh

dude, he's clearly pretty skilled with that MPC

the music is not to my taste, but he knows what the fuck he's doing.

so... i don't really get the hate here.

this and this

btw anyone notice most of the top comments for his live MPC vids are fingering jokes?

Archived