IGNORED

Actress - R.I.P

Redruth

So this finally arrived in the post today. I got the Machinedrum Rooms extended version too. But RIP is going on first.

I am looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about. Nice too sink into stuff once all the hyperbole has subsided.

Beginning to see what all the fuss is about. After a few weeks of sporadic listening I am starting to hear great things. Wow.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only downloaded R.I.P. about two days ago. I'm still new to the album, let alone Actress. But I find it oddly therapeutic while driving and listening to it. Makes me more calm and collected, therefore it makes me a safer driver.

Oh, and..

jesus christ, that thread title almost gave me a heart attack!

omgz guys, i totally has a hartattack.

shut up

;)

..lol.

So this finally arrived in the post today. I got the Machinedrum Rooms extended version too. But RIP is going on first.

I am looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about. Nice too sink into stuff once all the hyperbole has subsided.

Beginning to see what all the fuss is about. After a few weeks of sporadic listening I am starting to hear great things. Wow.

I've listened to his previous albums 2 or 3 times each and I still fail to "get it". Like, at all. Someone enlighten me!

Maybe it's just not for you. I think he has a very unique sound, and I hear a lot of care being put into this music to make everything just so.

Splazsh didn't totally click with me right away, but I enjoyed it a lot and there was a textural and aesthetic sensitivity in it that I hadn't heard in a long time. A painterly quality, maybe. That was a very refreshing thing to hear, but since it was all dance-oriented music I wasn't sure whether that was the "point". Then I heard R.I.P. and it made it very clear what he was doing.

In that NPR interview, he talks about making music about things in nature. I think he gives an example of a dried piece of wood in shallow water with sunshine illuminating it. That is exactly what "Uriel's Black Harp" makes me see. It's a weird feeling, I just sense that he listens very similarly to the way I do and that makes me feel so much less alone in the universe.

Oh shitty :( I hate to be the bearer of bad news... http://seattletimes.com/html/matsononmusic/2019255838_actress_cancels_at_decibel_fes.html?prmid=head_main

London electronic artist Actress has cancelled his Decibel Festival performance this Friday at Baltic Room. From Decibel:

The Decibel Festival regrets to announce that due to circumstances beyond our control, Actress was unable to obtain a Visa in time to perform for the festival. Thus he won't be performing at the XLR8R showcase.

I just remembered this show today and was starting to get bummed thinking about how I'd regret not going to this. I was thinking about taking the day off, renting a car and booking a hotel, and making the 5 hour drive. I gotta say, I'm glad I didn't.

:(

Well I guess that makes it easier for not missing Ariel's show. But damn, that was the highlight for this festival :(

Seriously. I hope he is able to play in the PNW soon. This recent visa drama (thinking of MF DOOM here as well) is discouraging.

Is it just me or does Serpent sound like both Quaristice-era Ae and I Care Because You Do-era Aphex with its own thing going on all at the same time?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't heard anything quite like this before... I'm listening to the tracks out of order on Youtube, which is obviously far from what the artist intended with regard to listening. It seems to be a veritable Chimera of an album... I am definitely missing the point by not listening to it as a proper album. This is reminding me of 2007 when I bought Untrue and just could not grasp what all the fuss was about; until around the third or fourth listen I started to understand what Burial was all about... I am nowhere near this level of comprehension for Actress's work yet, but I can tell that it'll be worthwhile.

It seems to be a veritable Chimera of an album... I am definitely missing the point by not listening to it as a proper album.

This, RIP definitely his most conceptual and holoistic album, although you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you don't check out Hazyville and Splizazsh in their entirety.

N.E.W. and IWAAD close out the album beautifully, would love to know what they're acronyms for, if anything.

Also glad to see that the new single has a digital release date now too ッ

Burial has always kind of bored me. I dig it a little and have had flashes of "wow this is spiritual shit" but for the most part I can't get over the repetition and general feeling of malaise.

I felt similarly about Actress... they both come from that area of music... but I did immediately like Splazsh more than anything Burial had done. And then with RIP I felt that, in terms of new artists, he is one of the best and we should be glad that there even exist new artists like this. Music is more than just technicality (not that RIP doesn't have exceptional technical features) and in the case of RIP you are getting the same feeling of old IDM classics, which is what the present needs. The present needs music that goes beyond surface level and will be remembered and cherished. That kind of thing is not contained in technicality necessarily.

I still haven't made it all the way through this album... I dunno... if I wanted hazy techno beats and such I'll just listen to biokinetics... again and again and again.... It seems like the first 4 tracks on RIP are just him trying on port gentil or something. Whatever! Keep trying!!

I still haven't made it all the way through this album... I dunno... if I wanted hazy techno beats and such I'll just listen to biokinetics... again and again and again.... It seems like the first 4 tracks on RIP are just him trying on port gentil or something. Whatever! Keep trying!!

I think the better tracks are on the second half, this one especially

the charm of this album is the multidimensional world that it represents, that has been built by actress. the music, the back-story, the mythos, the cover art, the name of the album. actress let us into his mind concerning how he was feeling, what he was reading, what he was thinking while constructing rip. the music then conveys these same moods directly, playing out the thoughts, feelings and states of being, the subject matter and it does this very accurately so we feel close to actress, to the experience in an intimate way while listening. you are truly taken into the actress world and apparently a lot of people liked what it was they found there, in this particular, most recent world.

all musicians should take note of artists who do this as part of their creative process. it is not just about the music, it is about the musician, what is divulged and what is secret, what they think, how they feel, what inspired them, but not in any mundane way. the real success comes when one creates a world which the listener is drawn, magnetically pulled into. whether it be fictional or not remains unclear and becomes an additional layer of the experience itself, of the abstraction.

Nicely said. This album is really good!

. Music is more than just technicality (not that RIP doesn't have exceptional technical features) and in the case of RIP you are getting the same feeling of old IDM classics, which is what the present needs. The present needs music that goes beyond surface level and will be remembered and cherished. That kind of thing is not contained in technicality necessarily.

Archived