IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is way better than I expected. Pretty much like the original 90s show in name only. None of the bullshit overload of indie rock background music and it's dark as fuck visually. I went in expecting MOR supernatural binge watching and it's totally exceeded those expectations.

No snarky self-deprecating cat though.

Salem not speaking is my only real complaint with the show so far (besides Miranda Otto and Lucy Davis’ wildly different accents for sisters), but the rest of it is so bugfuck ridiculous that it’s easy to overlook.

So much happens in each episode that even though they explained the entire Cain/Abel grave plot like 20 minutes prior, I still lost my shit when Sabrina slit Agatha’s throat without any hesitation whatsoever.

It's been entertaining so far, if they can just tone down the teen angst and play up the occult angle more.

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is way better than I expected. Pretty much like the original 90s show in name only. None of the bullshit overload of indie rock background music and it's dark as fuck visually. I went in expecting MOR supernatural binge watching and it's totally exceeded those expectations.

Salem not speaking is my only real complaint with the show so far (besides Miranda Otto and Lucy Davis’ wildly different accents for sisters), but the rest of it is so bugfuck ridiculous that it’s easy to overlook.

So much happens in each episode that even though they explained the entire Cain/Abel grave plot like 20 minutes prior, I still lost my shit when Sabrina slit Agatha’s throat without any hesitation whatsoever.

It's been entertaining so far, if they can just tone down the teen angst and play up the occult angle more.

I thought they were gonna drag out the “witch academy or Baxter High” plot the entire season, was very pleasantly surprised when that got settled in episode 2.

they wont because as mentioned this is a show for teenage girls

I'm confused about the excitement though because, yeah, in the 90s it was just a light-hearted sitcom? And now it's some slightly edgy drama? it'd be like getting excited for Fraiser coming back as a depressing and seedy look into the upper classes. Branding and all that I guess.

Same reason I find Riverdale weird, it's got all the hallmarks of a slice of life teenage drama and stuff like Jughead's dumb hat and that ridiculous car, but it's this "gritty" drama where the antagonists look like they're going to break out in song and dance at any moment

anyway I stopped watching because it became clear at no point would Cheryl be nude on camera

Yeah this, I'd like more too but it's pretty generous in the context of the show's plot and angle. It's American, it's about a 16 year old in high school. I'm surprised they've been so unfiltered about Satan, occult themes, and left-hand path ideology. Usually that stuff is rather sanitized.

Yeah this, I'd like more too but it's pretty generous in the context of the show's plot and angle. It's American, it's about a 16 year old in high school. I'm surprised they've been so unfiltered about Satan, occult themes, and left-hand path ideology. Usually that stuff is rather sanitized.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the real reason why they jumped from CW to Netflix.

Haunting of Hill House is incredible, horror in TV and movies has been so bad for so many years, this show actually gets it

Exactly.

I just finished the series today and the level of quality was EXTREMELY high, all throughout. I wasn’t expecting it to be as good as it was. Top notch writing, acting, directing, editing... you name it. The last episode didn’t exactly live up to the standards it set, in my opinion.

Whatever the case, if y’all aren’t watching it, change that.

Haunting of Hill House is incredible, horror in TV and movies has been so bad for so many years, this show actually gets it

Exactly.

I just finished the series today and the level of quality was EXTREMELY high, all throughout. I wasn’t expecting it to be as good as it was. Top notch writing, acting, directing, editing... you name it. The last episode didn’t exactly live up to the standards it set, in my opinion.

I didn't mind the ending too much but they could have cut the last 5 minutes or so. The script also liked to punch you in the face now and then which was jarring.

Got three more episodes of Haunting of Hill House to go. I agree, for Netflix, it's a pretty solid show. A kinda gothic "This is Us" meets haunted house mash-up. Episode 6 in the funeral home may have been a standout as far as production goes. To film that long of a tracking shot was pretty brilliantly choreographed. Having to run the adult/kid actors in and out and not miss a beat with any fuck-ups was well done. Look forward to finishing it off. I got to get to Channel Zero's latest.

Edited by olo

Exactly.

I didn't mind the ending too much but they could have cut the last 5 minutes or so. The script also liked to punch you in the face now and then which was jarring.

My wife read that the ending was originally intended to be slightly different.

When she told me what it was, I thought that it would have been A LOT better... to me, anyway. 

Read "spoiler" for HUGE spoilers...

Edited by J3FF3R00

Exactly.

My wife read that the ending was originally intended to be slightly different.

When she told me what it was, I thought that it would have been A LOT better... to me, anyway.

Read "spoiler" for HUGE spoilers...

Ok, trying to convince the missus to give this a go. She's concerned that this is going to be too heavy on the dark drama and we basically established that American Horror Story (which we both love) is about the limit of heaviness she's interested in watching. And even that had moments of levity.

From the trailer, this does look dark and then more dark. Is that accurate, or is this more rounded than the trailer would suggest?

This Is Us banged a haunted house and had a baby = Haunting of Hill House

I wouldn't say it's all that dark compared to other shit out there. 1/2 gothic horror (no gore) / 1/2 family drama.

My wife is watching it & she is not down with horror at all.

But, it shits all over AHS if that's of any worth. At least so far, I got 3 episodes left.

Edited by olo

... true. But... I would say that the family drama is pretty dark and quite realistic, at times. Having said, beyond some legitimately creepy horror stuff, the realistic family drama is what really works about it. What’s more, it isn’t manipulative or sensationalistic.

The cast is fantastic and the script/performances/direction is as good as it could possibly be in a genre show like this.

100% worth anyone’s time.

I don’t think it’s really a spoiler but I’ll put it in spoilers anyway... I’ll tell you what the family drama angle DOES NOT involve...

The family drama DOES NOT deal with child abuse or sexual abuse in any way. I know that is a big deal breaker for a lot of people, myself included. It’s also usually a cheap way to get a strong reaction from an audience and this show is smart/mature enough to not use anything like that as a narrative device.

Edited by J3FF3R00

Ok cheers to ya both (and that spoiler/non-spoiler is actually pretty helpful. Woulda been a deal breaker).

Still probably sits in the edge, but think enough clarity here to get her to try at least an episode. Thanks ya'll!

... true. But... I would say that the family drama is pretty dark and quite realistic, at times. Having said, beyond some legitimately creepy horror stuff, the realistic family drama is what really works about it. What’s more, it isn’t manipulative or sensationalistic.

The cast is fantastic and the script/performances/direction is as good as it could possibly be in a genre show like this.

100% worth anyone’s time.

I hear you. It's definitely not schmaltzy like some major network show. That is for sure. So no, not manipulative imo. But it doesn't go to say the depressed viewing that "The Killing" was. Kid murdering and that effected the family & shit.

Like I said earlier, there's some great sequences. The funeral home lone camera tracking shot for like 20+ minutes was very well done. Kudos.

Edited by olo