IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

obviously it's impossible for me to experience an environment like that but i just get a feeling that the show isn't really doing a good job of portraying it faithfully.

Ya know it's based off the memoir of the real life Piper Kerman who spent a year in a women's prison right?

Just finished Bloodline, which I thought was just excellent. Great performances from the two brothers and nice to see a background of Miami that didn't focus on being a tourist postcard. A+, will trade again.

Now a couple of episodes into Sense 8... I guess it's ok... editing is a bit of an assault on the senses though. I'm pretty sure the title sequence was done by one of Michael Bay's drunken interns after seeing the one from House of Cards. Bit of a quality drop after Bloodline.

do you ever feel like there is a piece of media that truly captures your life? your friends, your culture, your way of being in the world? this happens often with books. "that book was my childhood" or "that novel is just about my life"

well GIRLS is that for me and my life and my friends and my culture.

a lot of that sucks and im sure everyone here who hates lena dunham for some reason will be like d-lo is a dumb idiot with no taste. oh well. i totally understand that GIRLS isn't for everyone, but people whine and whine about how unrealistic it is --- sorry, breh - thats about as close to real life as ive ever seen on tv. and for that it should be applauded.

GIRLS GREATEST SHOW EVER

[youtubehd]Hv4ABEEbabQ[/youtubehd]

doesn't say much besides a tone-setter. But I am excite.

edit:

An uncommon woodpecker of the northern coniferous forests, the Black-backed Woodpecker prefers burned-over sites. It moves from place to place, following outbreaks of wood-boring beetles in recently burned habitats.

Edited by olo

I love Columbo. So great.

I also watch The Outer Limits from the 90s regularly.

Current shows: The Whispers, Mr Robot, Humans, Dark Matter, Halt & Catch Fire, Wayward Pines. The new british show Humans is pretty good. The general idea has been covered for decades but it's pretty up to date with modern times which changes the tone of the story. There's mystery in it and conspiracy tones, so I'm very curious where it's going to go. The Whispers and Wayward Pines is pretty standard broadcast sci-fi thriller stuff but I like them just to zone out to

Is Wayward Pines the shamalamam twin peaks ripoff ? I thought it was supposed to be terrible...

it's got nothing to do with twin peaks, starts off more like the prisoner, but once the twist is revealed it's not much like that either

it's alright, got a decent cast, but they don't have an awful lot to work with

It's shot pretty nicely and doesn't seem shittily acted. I skimmed the first and read the synopsis for the second. I still can't understand with all this anime out there why you guys do this to yourselves though, heh.

edit, i never got up to the twist, might have to read the wiki spoilers now that more eps are out.

[youtubehd]Hv4ABEEbabQ[/youtubehd]

doesn't say much besides a tone-setter. But I am excite.

edit:

An uncommon woodpecker of the northern coniferous forests, the Black-backed Woodpecker prefers burned-over sites. It moves from place to place, following outbreaks of wood-boring beetles in recently burned habitats.

I absolutely loved the first season, can't wait for the 2nd one. I'm damn impatient/curious to see Nick Offerman in it :

Season 2 will be set in the year 1979 in Luverne, Minnesota, where a young Lou Solverson (Patrick Wilson) is investigating a case that “involves a local crime gang and a major mob syndicate,” according to the show’s description of the season. Offerman will assume the role of the town lawyer, Karl Weathers (that’s with a K, not a C). He is described as a Korean War veteran who is a “flowery drunk blessed with the gift of gab and the eloquence of a true con artist.” Offerman did not reveal any other details about Karl, though he did note: “He likes to have a good time.”

just started watching Fringe on Netflix coz me and my girlfriend wanted something trashy and stupid and lots of it. 3 episodes in i can't say I'm disappointed...it's definitely trashy and stupid...but enjoyable in a throwaway sense. easy watching you don't need to think about too much. kind of like CSI meets Millennium.

is anyone watching this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kRyVaoa10I

yeah, I wrote about it in this very thread:

new hacker/conspiracy thriller called Mr Robot. was expecting it to be terrible, but it wasn't bad actually. was surprised to see the only semi-accurate portrayal of sysadmin stuff and hacking I've ever come across on TV or in film, left out a lot of the detail for obvious time constraints, but there was nothing glaringly stupid involved. not sure if I'll be able to handle the protagonist's monotone voiceover for the entire series though.

Think the season actually starts next week or something. Releasing pilots many weeks before the show starts is annoying.

finally watched the pilot.

i found it interesting, but it really rips off dexter.

he works at the same place as a girl who he grew up with who is hated by the boss, but he is loved so she's constantly asking for his help. after he hacks someone, he creates a folder with a dossier of them which he burns to a disc and stores away in a folder full of discs that he calls his "digital slide". he will chillax with you but when you fall asleep he dons his dark garbe and hoodie and patrol the streets and do reconnaissance missions on would-be targets- constantly narrating stuff about them while he stalks them.

oh and the first BIG HACKER leaves a little clue for him (you know, like a game) that only he can detect with a "message" only he will understand

will check out the 2nd episode just to see if at the very least, the writing gets a little original

Edited by Nebraska

Is Wayward Pines the shamalamam twin peaks ripoff ? I thought it was supposed to be terrible...

i watched 2 episodes and gave up because i realized it was too stupid. even the stuff that's supposed to be subtle and creepy is so heavily emphasized in case anyone with an IQ of 12 is watching and misses it.

then i watched the episode where the plot twist is revealed and felt insulted. a woman basically sits 3 kids down and just blurts out the entire plot/backstory. again, wouldn't want anyone to miss anything so at the end they again SPELL OUT EVERYTHING

deliberating which version of humans/real humans should i start watching, the original swedish one or the new british-american. on one hand sweden is awesome and there are already two seasons worth of episodes, but on the other hand it seems like it got cancelled and that the second season sucks, and it's pretty low budget which can be a total boner killer when it comes to scifi.

the new british-american has just started, but it's got budget and william hurts in it and it'll be more immersive due to not having to focus on subtitles.

prolly gonna try both.

ok, watched a few eps of the british one, it's interesting and as a series it's got enough time to play around with many ideas stemming from this topic but tonally and writing wise it's very soapy and got this old fashion tv series feel, none of that high budget cinematic flair of the recent high end american tv hits like got, hannibal or better call saul, and none of the dread and creepiness of black mirror.

gonna try the swedish one next.