IGNORED

Black Box: One Year On

Dragon

On March 1st, 2011, a flurry of excitement spread across our community, as Boards of Canada "announced" - in the most subtle way they possibly could - that after so many years of inactivity, they intended to release something new. It didn't say when, it didn't say what it would be, but for many fans, it was enough to keep hoping.

That was a full year ago, and since then, there has not been so much as a whisper of official news. We've had plenty of speculation, rumors, arguments - even Peter Serafinowicz did his best to hazard a guess. But no-one really knows for sure when or if BoC will ever release something new.

On the one hand, perhaps they've disappeared forever. After all, what other musician, or group of musicians, has ever put so much effort into screwing with their fanbase? Stretching all the way back to 2006, we've had "official spokesmen" telling us over and over again that there would be a new release, people with "contacts to Hexagon Sun" starting pranks with comically-worded false announcements, official Twitter accounts consisting simply of URL links (all of which were later removed.)

But what if, just what if, there really will be a new album? They're well known for spending and extra-long time bringing their work to perfection, so is it any wonder it's taken them a long time? And who knows, there could've been any number of reasons for them to be held up along the way. Just because they're famous doesn't mean they have full control over their circumstances.

So, what do you think? What does the Black Box really mean? Will the brothers ever give us another release, or even give an official word to answer our many questions? For a fan who has waited this long, I have to say it is hard to respect a group of people who do this to their fans. But you've got to admit, they're real showmen. In this modern, voyeuristic age, such a feat of silence is extraordinarily difficult to pull off, especially for people with such fame.

Truly, Mike and Marcus Sandison are either heroes of modern music, or the greatest trolls in recording history.

Discuss.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ruiagnelo

I read a magnificent article of Pitchfork reviewing the black box. Will try to find the link and post it here. with a black thumbnail linking to it of course

We've had plenty of speculation, rumors, arguments - even Peter Serafinowicz stirred the shit-rumour pot. But no-one really knows for sure when or if BoC will ever release something new.

fixt

I talked to a BOC insider not too long ago and apparantly all their music is recorded to airplane black boxes these days, when a track is finished, the airplane containing that black box is crashed into the north sea.

Who would even want a new release when we all have the stunning Hi Scores EP to enjoy, my gosh is it marvelous...

Listening to it now...LOUD

My idle thought for the day: Mike went nuts, and the delays are due to Marcus trying to muddle through finishing up the album by himself...

I have it on good authority that it was actually Marcus who went a bit gaga and Mike is finishing up the album. However he's having a bit of a problem with the snare sound.

Again, just throwing this out there - it's not unlike BoC are the first artists to ever take an extended hiatus from releasing music to have families, go in different creative directions, recharge the creative batteries, etc.

And to think BoC is actively "doing" this to it's fans is a bit of a stretch - they've never been a traditional band in the sense of having an active connection to their fanbase, or keeping an online presence so their fans know what they're doing on a regular basis. I highly doubt BoC has sat around wondering what the fans must think of their lack of commercial output as Boards of Canada.

Guest Margatroid

Again, just throwing this out there - it's not unlike BoC are the first artists to ever take an extended hiatus from releasing music to have families, go in different creative directions, recharge the creative batteries, etc.

And to think BoC is actively "doing" this to it's fans is a bit of a stretch - they've never been a traditional band in the sense of having an active connection to their fanbase, or keeping an online presence so their fans know what they're doing on a regular basis. I highly doubt BoC has sat around wondering what the fans must think of their lack of commercial output as Boards of Canada.

The thing that's weird to me is the aura of secrecy that seems to surround them. It seems like all of their real life friends must be sworn into some kind of pact of silence or something like that. Otherwise you'd think someone eventually would just be like "yeah I talk with them occasionally and they're not working on anything right now." It seems like that would be what would happen if they really didn't care about what the fans knew, one way or the other.

Anyway I've been a BoC fan for a long time and I didn't think very often about whether they were releasing a new record until I started reading this forum. To be honest I didn't think Campfire Headphase was as good as the earlier stuff and I figured they had just moved on. But the total mystery surrounding their active or inactive status as musicians is pretty weird.

Edit: I did find out about the black box thing last year though, through twoism or something. Then I promptly forgot about it and I kinda wish it had stayed that way. :dry:

I must say, Joyrex - the sheer existence of 'the black box' completely disagrees with your statement

i agree with literally everything you said. along with musicians, they are people with private lives. to drop the music and focus on other interests/priorities has absolutely zero to do with a fanbase—not sure why people believe otherwise.

Archived