IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

i'm playing shovel knight plague of shadows right now, really great game.. i'm looking forward to spectre knight too.

Spectre Knight is really good (as was Plague of Shadows).

KOTOR with Pye Corner Audio as the soundtrack is just fucking perfect

The KOTOR soundtrack IS perfect.

It's actually pretty fucking good.

(in glorious 96kbps or something like that)

Any thoughts on this upcoming EA/bioware game "Anthem"?

I caught my first sight of it recently and wasn't sure what to think. Apparently the same guy behind it as the Mass Effect trilogy and Knights of the Old Republic?

Well, it's definitely not by the "the doctors" (Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka) since they're not working at BioWare anymore. The latest rumors were that they're rushing to finish it up for a Q1 2019 release. Here's a quote or two...

Over the past few months, BioWare has essentially transformed into a single-game studio as it harnesses its teams to work on the ambitious multiplayer action game Anthem, sources say. There are still small teams maintaining Star Wars: The Old Republic and piecing together the next Dragon Age, which was recently rebooted, but the bulk of BioWare’s staff in both Edmonton and Austin are now on Anthem. And there’s a sense among BioWare employees that the company’s future is inextricably tied to this game.

Anthem, which was announced at E3 2017, is now scheduled for release in early 2019, according to three people familiar with the project. The “fall 2018” window mentioned during that E3 announcement was “never realistic,” one source said. Exact dates remain in flux—and Anthem’s developers must also plan for a beta release, an EA Access launch, and an ongoing schedule of patches and updates—but it appears unlikely to developers that publisher EA will allow BioWare to delay the game any further than March 2019, when the company’s 2019 fiscal year comes to an end. (EA, like most publicly traded companies, uses the fiscal calendar as a basis for all of its decisions, as those dates determine how investors will behave.)

It’s not unusual for BioWare to pull staff from other projects as it enters the final year of production on a game. In recent years, BioWare has done the same for both Mass Effect: Andromeda and Dragon Age: Inquisition. But Anthem, the studio’s first new franchise in eight years and EA’s first big stab at a Destiny-style persistent online world, feels different. To BioWare staff, the stakes feel higher than they ever have. As one developer told me, there’s a belief that if Anthem doesn’t live up to EA’s expectations, BioWare will look very different in the future, especially after the disappointment of Mass Effect Andromeda led to EA absorbing BioWare Montreal into the studio EA Motive.

Now, with a year left in development and a climate that’s grown more turbulent thanks to controversies over EA’s Star Wars Battlefront II and Activision’s Destiny 2, pressure is mounting for Anthem to be great. In the past few weeks I’ve spoken to more than half a dozen people close to the project, all of whom spoke anonymously because they were not authorized to talk about the game, and they’ve described feeling both optimistic and anxious—optimistic that they can make something good, but anxious at the number of forces that appear to be pushing against them.

Read more here...

https://kotaku.com/bioware-doubles-down-on-anthem-as-pressure-mounts-1822380989

I remember reading about ME: Andromeda's development how horrible that was. They also used the Frostbite engine and apparently it's terrible for third person games.

So not only that but I hate how every single game is now turning into loot based shooters ala Destiny.

No no, this guy - Drew Karpyshyn.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Karpyshyn#Mass_Effect

Also I think he wrote Neverwinter Nights and Baldurs Gate, Jade Empire etc? I'm hoping if his name is attached to it like all those great games, it turns out decent at least. I'm not seeing a game that he's written that I didn't like tbh.

Yeah I didn't even play ME Andromeda, everything about it looked terrible. 

Interesting article, thx! I don't know much about the frostbite engine. Reading up now.

I guess it's 2019 now.  :catsuicide:

https://kotaku.com/biowares-anthem-officially-delayed-to-2019-1822565640

is destiny 2 actually good? ive just reached level 72 in borderlands 2 and learnt that there are 8 'OP' levels now where you dont even get a skill point and i cant be arsed. need something else shooty to move onto. 

is destiny 2 actually good? ive just reached level 72 in borderlands 2 and learnt that there are 8 'OP' levels now where you dont even get a skill point and i cant be arsed. need something else shooty to move onto. 

I like it but it's really all about the multiplayer (mostly PvP). I spent 80% of my time on there doing PvP. 

The single player stuff is pretty lackluster and the cooperative multiplayer is bunk unless you have an active clan so you can do raids. =(

I'm about 8 hours into ME Andromeda and so far really like it. Guessing it gets super repetitive soon, but considering I've been slamming through all the AC games for a year now I'm pretty sure my tolerance for shiny monotony can handle this.

For the first time ever I delved into the whole lootbox shithole. PUBG players were given 30,000 points on Xbox because they had reached 3 million players or something like that. So I thought I'd check out what I'd get from some random crates.

- A turtle neck

- Two identical blue t-shirts

- A red t-shirt

People seriously pay money to get random and useless crap like this? I really despise the fact that this has been put into so many games. It's disgusting.

People seriously pay money to get random and useless crap like this? I really despise the fact that this has been put into so many games. It's disgusting.

it really is a plague.

Reminds me of my 9-month run on War Robots for mobile last year. It (d)evolved in such a way that you effectively had to gamble if you wanted the best robots and weaponry, with all those stupid bronze, silver, and gold chests.

Seems like the freemium trend is more pervasive for mobile games than for console and PC so far. But even Fallout 4 is going that route with Creation Club, which is basically paid mods (weapon and armor skins mostly).

I've spent too much of 2017 falling for this microtransaction trap. But this year I'm putting my foot down.

What happened to the good ol' days when you just bought the whole game up front and that was that?