IGNORED

Autechre - Exai

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've noticed warp are selling 24-bit waves of a lot of other stuff these days, makes me wonder if these masters are being sent to them in 24-bit format. If they are then i wonder if the musicians who delivered content in 24-bit waves is actually sourcing material in the 24-bit domain up until the point of exporting.

Probably not. 24bit is laughable to me anyway since the Red Book standard is still 16/441. And not even getting into territories of "Can we hear a difference" either.

It just makes me chuckle to think about Warp sorting a 24bit wavfile of something that AE could very well have made using massively bitcrushed samples on old samplers. There's truly something hilarious there.

you guys aren't saying that it's a snake oily maneuver designed to drive hardcore collectors to bleep.com for purchasing music are you? because that would be extremely un-called for and offensive

joke

All I can tell you non-believers is that the 24bit wavs are louder, more substantial, more colourful and whenever I listen to them my angry stepfather calms down and stops beating me.

you guys aren't saying that it's a snake oily maneuver designed to drive hardcore collectors to bleep.com for purchasing music are you? because that would be extremely un-called for and offensive

joke

Oh no, we'd never say that. Not about Warp. They always have the best intentions and really, after so many needlessly deluxe and expensive editions of the records they've released in 2011-2012, it's totally obvious that they're rolling in money and therefore have no reason at all to try to get more from us, just because we love them and we trust them. They love us back, right?

Guest Lucy Faringold
I'd think most pros like AE will be running in at least 24bit (both audio and VST) in whatever host program they use these days it's just a matter of your soundcard being up to scratch.

Ae have been recording in 24-bit for a while and I know they're super-fussy about Warp properly encoding their stuff so I would trust that any 24bit Ae stuff purchased from Warp would be legit.

144 dB vs 96 dB!

Not exactly.

16 bit audio can go considerably deeper than 96dB. With use of shaped dither, which moves quantization noise energy into frequencies where it's harder to hear, the effective dynamic range of 16 bit audio reaches 120dB in practice, more than fifteen times deeper than the 96dB claim.

120dB is greater than the difference between a mosquito somewhere in the same room and a jackhammer a foot away.... or the difference between a deserted 'soundproof' room and a sound loud enough to cause hearing damage in seconds.

16 bits is enough to store all we can hear, and will be enough forever.

Source: http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

144 dB vs 96 dB!

Not exactly.

16 bit audio can go considerably deeper than 96dB. With use of shaped dither, which moves quantization noise energy into frequencies where it's harder to hear, the effective dynamic range of 16 bit audio reaches 120dB in practice, more than fifteen times deeper than the 96dB claim.

120dB is greater than the difference between a mosquito somewhere in the same room and a jackhammer a foot away.... or the difference between a deserted 'soundproof' room and a sound loud enough to cause hearing damage in seconds.

16 bits is enough to store all we can hear, and will be enough forever.

Source: http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

that quote says it all.

dither.

in other words, the sound isn't accurate to the source.

Well it would have quantization errors if it wasn't dithered. You can't hear the random noise added by dithering. You can't hear the noise floor of a well dithered 16-bit file. The sound is accurate to the ears.

Guest zzwerty

I ripped the track out of the original recording, and tried to upload it to Youtube, but it blocked it, saying "Autechre-spl9", sound recording administered by: 0:03

[Merlin] Warp Records"

Thanks for the name of the track, Youtube/Warp!

Archived