Someone mentioned that the book/film differ in the explanations of previous missions. I'd remembered basically everyone except the husband not coming back, but was mistaken...from the back of the first book: the first expedition returned with reports of a pristine Edenic landscape; the second expedition ended in a mass suicide; the third in a hail of gunfire as its members turned on one another. The members of the eleventh expedition returned as shadows of their former selves, and within weeks, all had died of cancer. Not seeing as I'm thumbing through more detailed info on the other expeditions, but yeah, my previous point still holds that in the book (after the second mission) & movie, no one really went in expecting to come out alive and well. It's a kind of silly set up for a story anyfuckingway guys: no way would authorities just keep sending in tiny teams of people unless they were just guinea pigs, basically (which is the only way I can interpret this in the story, either medium).

But guys I love talking about how Annihilation was trash (I was, proudly, the first on WATMM which obviously means something, goddamn it) but even I'm getting a bit sick of it tbh. It was weird (not in the good way) and I have zero desire to ever watch it again. Anyway. I'll shut up. Probably.

Someone mentioned that the book/film differ in the explanations of previous missions. I'd remembered basically everyone except the husband not coming back, but was mistaken...from the back of the first book: the first expedition returned with reports of a pristine Edenic landscape; the second expedition ended in a mass suicide; the third in a hail of gunfire as its members turned on one another. The members of the eleventh expedition returned as shadows of their former selves, and within weeks, all had died of cancer. Not seeing as I'm thumbing through more detailed info on the other expeditions, but yeah, my previous point still holds that in the book (after the second mission) & movie, no one really went in expecting to come out alive and well. It's a kind of silly set up for a story anyfuckingway guys: no way would authorities just keep sending in tiny teams of people unless they were just guinea pigs, basically (which is the only way I can interpret this in the story, either medium).

But guys I love talking about how Annihilation was trash (I was, proudly, the first on WATMM which obviously means something, goddamn it) but even I'm getting a bit sick of it tbh. It was weird (not in the good way) and I have zero desire to ever watch it again. Anyway. I'll shut up. Probably.

unknown.png

courtesy of spi aka the tyrant fuck

having read the book does make you more interesting though.

jussayan

did you just read it? that's interesting!

fixtthat4ya :)

you mean you thought i meant having read the book makes the movie more interesting? let's not dwell on this too much. regardless of aux-es opinion of the movie, he's read the book as well. so that makes his perspective interesting.

you should return to watching TP S03 now. and read that book that came with it. that way you can pretend to be more interesting as well ;-p

*zing!*

you mean you thought i meant having read the book makes the movie more interesting? let's not dwell on this too much. regardless of aux-es opinion of the movie, he's read the book as well. so that makes his perspective interesting.

you should return to watching TP S03 now. and read that book that came with it. that way you can pretend to be more interesting as well ;-p

*zing!*

nahh i don't think i fully grasp the deep themes mr david lynch explores... ;^)

(I was, proudly, the first on WATMM which obviously means something, goddamn it)

unknown.png

courtesy of spi aka the tyrant fuck

That spiral welcoming son a bitch discord despot asshat better check himself feeding u memeage to discredit my absolutely legitimately and seriously stated claimant as FIRST ON WATMM TO SHIT ON ANNIHILATION THE FILM* I will find him and make him read things in his properly British mouthshaping abilities.

And yes, GODel I am much more interesting and important and my opinion on Annihilation's CGI is worth at least 3x most others' because of course I saw it in the book's original CGI, so definitely you guys should all base your opinions on mine and obviously u r v wrongo if u don't.

funny-guy-receiving-award-white-35465164

I also watched under the shadow, thought it was pretty fun? Interesting take on the whole haunted house thing. I liked it lots. Fak u

watched "the Killing of a sacred deer" and it's a pretty weird intense creep fest. like awkward people doing horror autism.

Hahahaha! Spot on!

that movie is awesome but i had to google lots of things because the whole story is actual a greek tragedy by Euripides's Iphigenia, otherwise it doesnt make any sense.

A24 are distributing and pushing those kind if movies check here for more weirdness.

https://a24films.com/

it is good. didn't know it was greek tragedy based but makes sense. 

a24 looks great. friend of mine writes for lewton bus film site.. i sent the link his way and he said they're super consistent studio.  some of those previews look amazing and weird and creepy as fuck. 

The Post

In the end a good movie. Although the first half hour was a disappointment. Mostly because I went in with different expectations. Thought it was going to be more of an "All the presidents men" kind of thing with more focus on journalists fighting a corrupt government. Instead it went the "woman in a leading position in a time where it was not accepted" direction. With the corrupt government just being in the background to add to the "she had to overcome so many pressures" logic. Other thing I was struggling with was Streeps character, or her acting. Which again is probably most due to my own expectations. She was really driving the point of the importance of her non-verbal acting. Much of the things her character said appeared as nothingburgers. So it took me some time to get to a point where I could emphasise with her character. Looking back on it, don't think I should blame Streep, Spielberg or anyone else but myself. As it represents the position women tend to be in, in that time (and today...other discussion). It's basically the main message of the movie. Women were supposed to be in the background and all that jazz.

So the main character of the movie simply had to play a very subdued, at points even boring role. Which makes it a conflicted movie, imo. In the end it does bring the point home and left me with the feeling of having learned something. But it had me struggling at times to even care about her character. A second viewing is probably worthwhile as, because there appear to be plenty subtleties worth noting that I missed on first viewing.

In a way it's a sort Mad Men with a focus on the female lead. Difference is that it is a bit more subtle and not nearly as straightforward in the way the story is told as the series. Would only recommend to people who think this sounds interesting. If even reading this bores you, you probably should stay away from the movie as well.

857218997_o.jpg?format=500w

one of my favorite films EVER.emanuelle goes to kenya to photograph (?) something then ends up not doing so. fantastic b-movie sleaze. and what happened to karin schubert? actually- nevermind.

ten vintage cameras out of ten

857218997_o.jpg?format=500w

one of my favorite films EVER.emanuelle goes to kenya to photograph (?) something then ends up not doing so. fantastic b-movie sleaze. and what happened to karin schubert? actually- nevermind.

ten vintage cameras out of ten

lol sounds great!

I just got back from A Quiet Place. It was alright. Too many cheap jump scares but beautifully crafted. But it was almost as if the director had collected all of his favorite moments from a bunch of movies and then baked them into this movie. It's hard to explain without spoiling the entire movie.

cdcr102%20retro.jpg

a masterpiece in sleaze. emanuelle heads to america to find some people making snuff films. things end up in washington, and emanuelle is basically bedding some senator type. oh- and there is a horse called pedro. you'll never believe what he gets up to.

again: perfection

Edited by Nebraska

phantom thread - yes, i liked it a lot. the bulk of the film is more admirable than moving and engaging, johnny's score and that editing style create this floaty pace, everything is reserved and controlled with a few splashes of alma outbursts. praising ddl and the technical side of things in pta films is a bit redundant at this point. it all really induces an art gallery attendee chin stroking kind of respect and veneration. but the ending, which is more like the payoff, really swept me off my feet. so twisted and crowdpleasing at the same time that it just made me melt in my seat and grin. pta's noptin of love is really quite subversive and fascinating, with punch drunk love we get to see how it works and what it does, and with this one we get to see how it's produced, i guess. it makes me want to delve into it and research it in depth more than any recent film i can think of.

also saw "you were never really here" with two of pta's collaborators. it was trash.