did anyone see silence?

i thought it was pretty cool. i was looking forward to it for a while. what you need to know about silence is that scorcese read the book in 1989 while riding a train in japan and immediately knew he wanted to do something with it, but didn't know how it would be possible to adapt it. he spent decades trying to figure out how to do it. 

studios and good directors do the "one for you one for me" thing and this was definitely a scorcese movie that was for him. it's 3 hours long and paced like a novel about faith. it has an unusual story and kind of a removed, alien approach.

definitely a very unique atmosphere for a film. you want to set aside the 21st century a.d.d., sit in a dark room and try to absorb what he is shedding light on. 

Edited by very honest

I liked it as well, beautifully shot, more of a mood piece/ambient movie than anything for me, not really all that interested in the faith aspect of it.

watched annihilation for the third time last night,definitely gets better each time,the story seemed too erratic on first viewing,skipping back and forth through timelines,bit like a netflix tv series would,but the dementia type symptoms the characters suffer made it make sense on a re-watch,the cabin/bear scene reminded me of the thing,so creepy,needed more oscar isaac tho imo,nice soundtrack,special effects superb in parts,not so in others,end credits nice too

edit: well, it turns out it is a comedy after all:

...is a darkly comic drama from Academy Award winner Martin McDonagh (IN BRUGES). After months have passed without a culprit in her daughter's murder ...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

19md9JE.jpg

3 lunkheads working as hotel maids but (secretly) working on a video game find themselves in the middle of a hostage situation a la 'die hard' when some instagram celebrity is held for ransom. there's something to be said about the quality of this movie (?) because i honestly thought it was part of an SNL type skit but turns out it was a feature. there are some genuinely funny moments but it's netflix so it's also very disposable. NEXT

19md9JE.jpg

3 lunkheads working as hotel maids but (secretly) working on a video game find themselves in the middle of a hostage situation a la 'die hard' when some instagram celebrity is held for ransom. there's something to be said about the quality of this movie (?) because i honestly thought it was part of an SNL type skit but turns out it was a feature. there are some genuinely funny moments but it's netflix so it's also very disposable. NEXT

i can't seem to be amused by these guys, even workaholics i couldn't stand...

so far, yeah, but like not every scene needs to linger in the moment that long for you to be able to get the full flavour of the thing. it's at least 20% too long.

also I watched The Death of Stalin last night. brilliant, as expected.

Edited by usagi

Pacific Rim: Uprising was fun, and probably exactly what you'd want if you're the kind of person in the kind of mood to want to see a film where giant robots fight giant monsters from another universe. Took a little too long to get into the good stuff, but once it did it: fun was had. There was a little too much people talking when of course I was hoping for a few more Kaiju, and maybe a few more Jaegers...but you can't have everything.

8 interdimensional ocean vagina portals out of 10

19md9JE.jpg

i can't seem to be amused by these guys, even workaholics i couldn't stand...

"some instagram celebrity" it's mother fucking shaggy motherfucker

i didn't watch the movie but the annoying trailer autoplayed while scrolling through netflix (can you turn that shit off?)

^^ shaggy's in the film but he plays himself. i'm talking about the skinny guy with the dog who wants to finance the video game

mJ9SrSi.jpg

currently watching this. it's on the asylum channel

I watched Tomb Raider. It was god damn awful. I only watched it because I wanted to try out my local theater's new 4D experience bullshit. It actually turned a pretty awful movie into a rather enjoyable experience - but in the dumbest possible way of course. I thought the whole seat movement would be pretty low key but it was like being on a fucking roller coaster. The 3D was absolutely atrocious which made it hard to see what was going on. Now add violently shaking seats to that experience. The opening scene was a boxing match between Lara Croft (played by the insanely boring looking (and bored-looking) Alicia Vikander) and a female version of Ivan Drago. My eyes hadn't quite adjusted to the 3D by then and it didn't help that I was thrown around in my seat.

Apart from that I got sprayed in the face with water whenever someone got splashed with water, they sprayed disgusting scents right into my face whenever they changed the scenery, and during snow storms they would turn on snow cannons. Also, if a bullet flew by the camera they would switch on tiny air cannons located behind your ears. It was so amazingly dumb.

So yeah, fun experience, bad movie.

The best part about my trip to the theater was what happened between the couple next to us before the movie started. He was texting someone and she was looking over his shoulder to see who he was texting. He then turned around and started yelling at her, "stop that girlie bullshit! I'm just texting a friend". I'm sure the rest of their night turned out great.