Oppenheimer - somewhat bloated as with any Nolan film, and holy cow it was loud. Most of the acting was good, and the ending was very prophetic. B+

Spoiler

They weren't pulling any punches that this was a warning about being on the precipice of Ai proliferation, as well as the renewed threat from nuclear weapons. The look on Einstein's face at the end really said it all, the weight of knowing he likely set this chain of events in motion, and enabled mankind's eventual self-destruction. It is also cool to see the theoretical physics in this film, actually shown in Interstellar. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

Couldn’t remember if I saw this so I watched it and remembered that I had seen it but forgot most of the details. 
Pretty fun/creepy flick. Ethan Hawke really does a good job. Also, given my pandemic/post-pandemic obsession with true crime content (Ethan Hawke’s character is a true crime author), it scratches both true crime and horror itches at the same time.

I recommend it / 10

• Like 1

13 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

spacer.png

Couldn’t remember if I saw this so I watched it and remembered that I had seen it but forgot most of the details. 
Pretty fun/creepy flick. Ethan Hawke really does a good job. Also, given my pandemic/post-pandemic obsession with true crime content (Ethan Hawke’s character is a true crime author), it scratches both true crime and horror itches at the same time.

I recommend it / 10

Yeah, that’s one of the best horror films I’ve seen (along with Hereditary) in recent years. Have you seen The Babadook? That is also incredibly worth your time. I was blown away by that (because I was expecting it to be shit and it most definitely was not)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beerwolf said:

Yeah, that’s one of the best horror films I’ve seen (along with Hereditary) in recent years. Have you seen The Babadook? That is also incredibly worth your time. I was blown away by that (because I was expecting it to be shit and it most definitely was not)

Yeah dude. I love me some babadook

• Burger 1

I watched the new Indiana Jones last night. It was alright. Some cringey bits. 

Spoiler

That ending bit where the THING they found took them to that PLACE was a bit silly though. 

Edit: spoiler free

Edited by YEK
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 8:03 PM, Rubin Farr said:

Oppenheimer - somewhat bloated as with any Nolan film, and holy cow it was loud. Most of the acting was good, and the ending was very prophetic. B+

Reveal hidden contents

Rewatching Interstellar and TENET, it is interesting to see the through line from Oppenheimer via physics 

Saw Asteroid City a few days ago. It's what you'd expect, charming and quirky, a string of odd and meandering vignettes, it's nice when a film doesn't feel obliged to keep pushing the story forward. Kind of like listening to good jazz. This whole People Living In A Diorama setting is extremely attractive to me for some reason, always reminds me of some of the good kids television shows from back in the day.

Edited by BlockUser
additional thoughts being thought

On 5/21/2023 at 2:21 AM, onecaseman said:

It's the worst of the series by far. They don't get great again until McQuarrie comes in, but it's consistently uphill from here. (And I agree the first is a classic).

3rd (Abrams) was much better, and also watched 4 and 5 (Rogue Nation). all good stuff. i imagine this had to do with Abrams as director and then as producer, along with probably Cruise and who knows what else. Ferguson was hot af in RN. kicked ass, playing both sides, good acting. xpost with celebrity crush thread. good acting/etc from everyone really in those last ones...Renner is kinda meh but he's alright i guess. pretty fun set pieces, constantly moving, not genius or particularly clever (both 4 and 5 were like 'oh the IMF is shut down what will we do' which is...yeah, i get it but maybe not twice in a row?). 

this is about the Mission: Impossible series btw

Edited by auxien
  • Like 1

Instead of going to see Barbie or Oppenheimer, I went to see this…

spacer.png

It has something like 95% fresh on RT.

Super creepy. Really great performances from a group of super talented Australian teen-ish actors. Guest appearance from Miranda Otto (Arwen Éowyn from LOTR… and she kills it). 
Go see / 10

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 3

went to see Barbie - it was ok, couple original moments nothing wow, but had a laugh with my mates, so worth it, and we had reclining leather comfy seats and a little table for booze

• Like 2

I know Mr Scott isn’t really watmm cup of tea (apart from Bladerunner and Alien) but this looks pretty bad ass. 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, hoggy said:

went to see Barbie - it was ok, couple original moments nothing wow, but had a laugh with my mates, so worth it, and we had reclining leather comfy seats and a little table for booze

I thought it was really funny, if a bit twee and corny.

Ryan Gosling Sunglasses GIF by Warner Bros. PicturesRyan Gosling Sunglasses GIF by Warner Bros. PicturesRyan Gosling Sunglasses GIF by Warner Bros. Pictures

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadameChaos said:

I thought it was really funny, if a bit twee and corny.

Ryan Gosling Sunglasses GIF by Warner Bros. PicturesRyan Gosling Sunglasses GIF by Warner Bros. PicturesRyan Gosling Sunglasses GIF by Warner Bros. Pictures

I do remember laughing quite often, but it was tense laughter, I didn't feel the writers were totally adept - though there were some very funny ideas.

I liked at the end when Barbie says “I want to do the imagining, not be the idea, I want to be a part of the people that make meaning, not the thing that is made.” - I feel like the existential moments could have added more depth at times - by tying in the feminist/gender critique in to emotional motivation.. which I think the film was gesturing towards.. I think for me the film was interesting and funny, but unfortunately not as amazing as it could have been. I enjoyed it though!

Edited by hoggy
correcting quote