11 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

Yeah, but Chappie notwithstanding (I'm probably one of the few who really likes it), his trajectory has been pretty downward since District 9. Don't know if u saw his horror movie (Demonic) but.... God it was awful. I mean, irredeemably bad. Might be dude just needs the paycheck...

I like everything he's done up until now, even the shorts and Oats Studios stuff is great; Elysium isn't the greatest, but it still has his touch, his personality ingrained. I adore Chappie, it has a metric fuckton of great ideas expanded from Tetra Vaal and the casting's ace with Ninja and Yolandi. Haven't seen Demonic yet.

Edited by dcom

4 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Quite liked the film myself and keep meaning to rewatch it, but I'm an absolute sucker for anything along the lines of The Wickerman. In other words people getting killed/sacraficed by the hands of pagan cults.

Have you seen Hereditary? Or Kill List? They're pretty good, especially Hereditary.

Hereditary is one of my favourite films ever - perfect film. Kill List is on my list to watch and I was thinking to watch it the other night actually but the synopsis didn't sound like much - I'll check it out.

Oppenheimer

The most hectic 3 hour movies I've ever seen. With 3 hours at hand you would think that it would take its time, but no... felt like a 3 hour long ADHD trailer.

It was absolutely fine.

2 hours ago, dcom said:

I like everything he's done up until now, even the shorts and Oats Studios stuff is great; Elysium isn't the greatest, but it still has his touch, his personality ingrained. I adore Chappie, it has a metric fuckton of great ideas expanded from Tetra Vaal and the casting's ace with Ninja and Yolandi. Haven't seen Demonic yet.

Totally agree the Oats Studio stuff is great - I guess I sort of omit them when I think about his cinematic output. They actually remind me of his pre District 9 stuff, like the Halo shit that was so compelling.

Elysium agree def had great pieces, but it feels like those pieces never add up to a coherent film, which makes it feel like a step down from D9. 

I'm actually a pretty big Blomkamp apologist -to me it's worth it even if it's a mishmash, but some of those pieces are brilliant. I think what kind of killed it for me was Demonic. It was admittedly a pandemic project but it's just..... man, it's really bad. 

So, in my mind when I graph out his cinematic output the trend line is  slanted real far down - but thsts partly because Demonic is so bad. 

Honestly, I kind of think the GT movie might actually be really good? - and it might be good for him to be making a film that has inherent structure because it was written by someone else. 

14 hours ago, hoggy said:

Hereditary is one of my favourite films ever - perfect film. Kill List is on my list to watch and I was thinking to watch it the other night actually but the synopsis didn't sound like much - I'll check it out.

It’s (Kill List) nowhere as good as Hereditary but an interesting take on the Cult/Pagan/Devil Worship thing. I had sky high expectations when I watched it and was a little disappointed to be honest because of that. The first half has a British Kitchen Sink vibe going on before things get much more trippy. I thought it was better the second time I watched it, probably because I didn’t have such previous expectations.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

It’s (Kill List) nowhere as good as Hereditary but an interesting take on the Cult/Pagan/Devil Worship thing. I had sky high expectations when I watched it and was a little disappointed to be honest because of that. The first half has a British Kitchen Sink vibe going on before things get much more trippy. I thought it was better the second time I watched it, probably because I didn’t have such previous expectations.

but you already knew the end so... shock factor none...

whatch 'A Serbian Film'...

17 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Kill List

a field in England is a blast, one of my fav movies ev4

Edited by cruising for burgers
  • Like 1

completely unrelated (well, not completely actually, Ben Wheatley is executive producer)...

how many times do I need to tell watmm to watch this movie?

• Noel Fielding
  • Julian Barratt

Produced by 

• Tom Miller ... associate producer
  • Steve Oram ... producer
  • Andrew Starke ... producer
  • Pete Tombs ... executive producer
  • Ben Wheatley ... executive producer

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4501706/

159773812_de16e5.thumb.jpg.324cc485f9cb3e290ebdeca5d45ab5eb.jpg

Edited by cruising for burgers

16 hours ago, dcom said:

Oppenheimer is really good and holds attention for the whole three hours it takes, and Cillian Murphy is amazing. It's a different kind of Nolan film, it'll rub completely different neuronal pathways than his previous work. Gerwig's Barbie is overtly feminist, funny, serious, absurd, grotesque even, but a good watch nevertheless; one might think of it as a two-hour Mattel ad, and of course it is, but it's overt about its real message, too. It's an adult movie with adult themes, and if you're put off by pink, dayglo, in-your-face feminism or blatant tropes, choose something else.

western feminism can smd tbpfh.* it has completely floundered and is no use to anyone anymore except those who have used it to climb the ladder and then pull it up behind them. a big no thank you to Barbie and Greta Gerwig in general (though I kinda liked Lady Bird). Boppenheimer I will get around to watching at some point. I'm just glad my boi Cillian is having his moment, I've been in his corner since 28 Days Later.

Spoiler

*or to put it in the far more eloquent words of a former watmmer: feminism dies when my dick gets hard

59 minutes ago, usagi said:

western feminism can smd

If you had said middle-class white interpretations of feminism can be vapid and self-serving, maybe there'd be a discussion worth having there, but "smd".. it seems a bit self-defeating to phrase it like that

• Like 2

Speaking of social commentary and whatnot, watched They Cloned Tyrone last night, an absolutely terrible title for an amazing film, that remains so until the very last frame (when it becomes clear that it's sort of a wink and a nod to people who have been paying attention). 

I'm hyperbolizing, but in my mind I keep on thinking about how Boyz in the Hood was this watershed moment for both black representation in film, and black cinema. This one is much less bleak (except in the moments when it's terrifyingly bleak) and has moments that are just fucking hilarious, but it seems like a similar thing. Ofc there are plenty of other people doing consciousness raising films, but this one feels somehow special. Maybe it's because it so thoroughly entertaining all the way through - and deftly shifts tones so gracefully. 

Had no idea how good an actor John Boyega is until this one, particularly in the last quarter/end of the film. Jamie Foxx also fantastic. 

Tldr: dumb name, smart movie. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, hoggy said:

If you had said middle-class white interpretations of feminism can be vapid and self-serving, maybe there'd be a discussion worth having there, but "smd".. it seems a bit self-defeating to phrase it like that

are you familiar with hyperbole?

the fuckries that pass for feminism now are certainly not just the fault of either the middle class or white people.

Quite tempted to blow some cash on a trip to London to watch Oppenheimer at Waterloo IMAX. I’m not one for cinemas really (being stuck like a sardine for over 2 hours to watch a film has lost its appeal over the years) so if I’m gonna watch it I’m gonna do it properly. I watched a documentary on Oppenheimer a few years back, was one of the most interesting things I’ve ever seen. That whole nuclear thing fascinates me. Probably because I remember growing up in the 80s mildly obsessed with mushroom clouds and the threat of nuclear Armageddon. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, usagi said:

are you familiar with hyperbole?

the fuckries that pass for feminism now are certainly not just the fault of either the middle class or white people.

Are you? "smd" is not hyperbole - saying western feminism is the worst thing to ever happen would be hyperbole

Maybe not, but your criticism is representations in media and people pulling up the ladder behind them, right? Seems like those are the people with the ladders, or maybe not middle-class, maybe just wealthy people

2 hours ago, hoggy said:

Are you? "smd" is not hyperbole - saying western feminism is the worst thing to ever happen would be hyperbole

well, in that case I guess I meant what I said sans exaggeration. :cisfor:

3 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Speaking of social commentary and whatnot, watched They Cloned Tyrone last night, an absolutely terrible title for an amazing film, that remains so until the very last frame (when it becomes clear that it's sort of a wink and a nod to people who have been paying attention). 

I'm hyperbolizing, but in my mind I keep on thinking about how Boyz in the Hood was this watershed moment for both black representation in film, and black cinema. This one is much less bleak (except in the moments when it's terrifyingly bleak) and has moments that are just fucking hilarious, but it seems like a similar thing. Ofc there are plenty of other people doing consciousness raising films, but this one feels somehow special. Maybe it's because it so thoroughly entertaining all the way through - and deftly shifts tones so gracefully. 

Had no idea how good an actor John Boyega is until this one, particularly in the last quarter/end of the film. Jamie Foxx also fantastic. 

Tldr: dumb name, smart movie. 

I swear boyega transformed himself foe this one 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aderei said:

I swear boyega transformed himself foe this one 

I wasn't even sure it was him when I started watching. I was like "did I read the cast list wrong?" Amazing performance. 

Edited by T3551ER
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 10:24 AM, beerwolf said:

Quite tempted to blow some cash on a trip to London to watch Oppenheimer at Waterloo IMAX. I’m not one for cinemas really (being stuck like a sardine for over 2 hours to watch a film has lost its appeal over the years) so if I’m gonna watch it I’m gonna do it properly. I watched a documentary on Oppenheimer a few years back, was one of the most interesting things I’ve ever seen. That whole nuclear thing fascinates me. Probably because I remember growing up in the 80s mildly obsessed with mushroom clouds and the threat of nuclear Armageddon. 

Going to IMAX Oppenheimer later today ?️ 

damiano damiani's 'day of the owl'. i would like to see more of these more dialogue-heavy italian films that have a sociopolitical streak, especially for the nihilism. they're few on the ground afaik. 'bullet for the general' remains a favourite from damiani, for it's photography and punchier narrative. this one is oddly restricted or claustrophobic for the most part, despite the summertime sicily square that's a central location, with interior questioning taking place. franco nero is a carabinieri trying to deal with the local mafia don. one murder, one missing. resolves quite well, and has lots to think about, but misses some great potential and is little too modest or under explored overall.

i notice 'illustrious corpses' and 'lucky luciano' from francesco rossi get mentioned alongside this as a sort of loose genre from italy, less like police dramas and more like gangster / political dramas - less action, more ideas - but both USA discs are poor apparently. anyone know more of this style of film? i especially liked vittorio salerno's 'no the case is happily resolved' which arrow later rereleased after a good german edition some years back. another film with the same title is in this boxset.

https://www.mondo-digital.com/nocase.html

Edited by logboy

7 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Going to IMAX Oppenheimer later today ?️ 

Good stuff Lord Rubin. I decided today I would do the IMAX. It's completely sold out every day for the next 3 to 4 weeks. But I can wait.

• Like 1

I did my local IMAX screen for Oppenheimer, not a true 70mm showing but still better than a regular screen. Really enjoyed it, was a little underwhelmed by the Trinity test recreation. I swear a couple "fireball" shots from the trailer weren't in it

• Like 1

Hah amusing story. I started to watch District 9 yesterday evening. But I was feeling really tired, really tired and weak from a few tough days at work with little sleep and because I felt so fragile I had to switch the film off because it started to freak me out too much. I was like 'nah can't be dealing with this, its giving my brain a battering and way too much to think about' I think when he started to puke black goo all over his birthday cake and his hand turned into a Prawn Claw was the final straw. I was like fuck this I'm watching Coronation Street and then going to bed, this is way too intense for me at the moment. Funny.

I will finish it soon.

Edited by beerwolf

p_thelittlemermaid_2023_2207_405dcaa4.jp

near shot-for-shot remake of the animated version (although they added some new songs) with, sometimes really bad, CGI. got really distracted by the fact that very few sea creatures talk. in the animated version even the turtles and sea horses sing along. in this it's just sebastian and flounder. 

the 89 version is like a film made by adults for kids. this is like a film made by kids for kids so it lacks that "enchantment" that any disney film used to have

bea ate that role though

Edited by Nebraska