On 5/31/2023 at 3:23 PM, Alcofribas said:

michael mann's "thief"

now THIS is a fucking movie. goddamn they do not make em like they used to. honestly a 10/10 film. great performances, great story, great music, great cinematography. so much of this stands out, stays with you. it feels so real. at one point i even said "thank you" aloud after a scene, just because it felt so satisfying to be seeing a real fucking movie. 

Yes my dad loved this movie. He also loved Tangerine Dream, who did the soundtrack, I use to see the cd always lying around near the Hi-Fi. Oddly enough I've never seen it. I'll keep an eye out for it.

• Like 1

This was a lower budget movie, but cute. Eva Longoria filled it with a lot of self-esteem messages, never giving up, being proud of your heritage, but also overcoming systemic racism. This janitor worked at a Frito-Lay factory for a decade before he was taken seriously, and he and his family created the slurry that anything flamin' hot is tossed in, he literally helped create the flavor revolution in snack foods in the US. So hooray for carbs!

*Matt Walsh in a wig is ridiculous

hot.jpg

• Like 1

Across the spiderverse.

Best animation ever? Love how it's highly stylized beyond it's style if that makes sense.

Story and the pacing not as good, some good moments but

Spoiler

I'm guessing it was ruined by them making it a two-parter

Edited by GORDO
  • Like 1

WhatsApp-Image-2023-01-11-at-14.40.14.jp

the film reminded me a lot of this show just nowhere near as interesting as it seems more interested in paranoia and anxiety with the main problem being the scope of the films ideas which are confined to a newspaper comic strip (to the point even where the sets seem artificial to the point of being juvenile)

The Doom Generation

fuck me this is better than ever. got to see the remastered version in a movie theater. crowd was lmao the whole way through until the end and when it was all over everyone was dead silent and i could see people crying. a truly fun and funny movie that delivers a brutal depiction of homophobia that is sadly extremely relevant right now. 

• Like 1

Influencer. I was expecting alot of scenes of mobile screens with text and emojis flying all over the place, but despite the subject matter this was handled really well, maturely even - resulting in a decidedly "old fashioned" thriller style movie, with a kind of cool, ominous style that reminded me a bit of Nicolas Winding Refn vibes (sans the gratuitous violence)

Infinity Pool. I went into this only knowing that it was made by Cronenberg Jr. it´s the first of his films I´ve ever watched and I really liked it. It might be a far fetched, even nonsensical idea, though I thought the fictional country angle was a really cool idea, but man does it make up for any shortcomings in atmosphere, weirdness and general solid filmmaking chops. Very impressed with this actually. 

On 6/14/2023 at 1:18 PM, Nebraska said:

WhatsApp-Image-2023-01-11-at-14.40.14.jp

the film reminded me a lot of this show just nowhere near as interesting as it seems more interested in paranoia and anxiety with the main problem being the scope of the films ideas which are confined to a newspaper comic strip (to the point even where the sets seem artificial to the point of being juvenile)

His first short film is a great Father's Day movie

• Thanks 1

the kids wanted to see this, so we took them, in spite of Ezra. It was pretty cool as an attempt to make lemonade out of lemons, Michael Keaton stole most of the movie, then there was really bad CG during the ending which were obvious reshoots. they turned the DC fan service up to 11. good place to stop with this franchise.

Spoiler

it was geared towards Gen-X, the boys had no idea who any of the older actors were, but Nicolas Cage Superman fighting mechanical spider Brainiac, got my money's worth.

poster.jpg

On 6/18/2023 at 2:52 PM, DavieAddison said:

His first short film is a great Father's Day movie

not sure when i'll get to that. not a fan of aster. might check the below film tonight though

MV5BMDc2NDA1YWItZjM4Ny00MGE4LWI3NWEtMWVic

classic 90s cinema. two computer nerds write a program that can "adjust the attitude" of any inhibited woman turning them into an unrestricted, unabashed nymphomaniac. this film was made before people understood computers or the internet clearly so the "program" is really just a list typed out on a notepad with instant replies coming from anyone else who is "online"

they really don't make them like they used to anymore 

• Like 1

Had more of the vibe of the classic Indy video games than the other movies, and still had the “COVID look” of claustrophobia, smaller sets and less extras in the scenes. No real big set pieces until the finale, which left us divided, and the pacing was uneven. But it hit the nostalgic notes, although the music was somewhat lacking, and didn’t hit the classic theme enough. Way too much Phoebe Waller. C+

IMG_0784.jpeg

Signed back up to Netflix to rewatch Breaking Bad and was pleased to find quite a few films I haven't seen.

Memento. From the beginning I could tell this would be my kind of film, just by the acting, production, direction and soundtrack. And it becomes very apparent, very quickly that the viewer has to pay crystal clear attention. Which I did. On odd occassions it got briefly tiresome but I was still hooked. However in the end I found it a bit disappointing. Maybe I was expecting some great finale but I dunno, it just seemed to fizzle out and fold in on itself. Dunno. Odd film in the end. Pearce was brilliant though.

JFK next! (yep never seen it)

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

Saw Indiana Jones 5 in the theater last night. Pretty fun. Fleabag was great. Harrison Ford is dependable, as to be expected. This film surprisingly has the most personal character development I can remember seeing in the franchise, which is refreshing, however the core story is minimal and there are far too many chase sequences. There was a healthy length at the beginning with a de-aged flashback version of Dr. Jones that was entertaining enough but a bit like watching a dramatic interstitial from a video game. Still, it was a great film to see in the theater with a bag of popcorn. Dragged a couple tears out of my cynical eyes in the end. 
7.925 fedoras / 10

• Like 1

Rewatched Tenet for a second time this time paying more attention to it  so I actually understood what was going on this time.

Cool concept but still a bit meh.

Edited by GORDO
  • Like 2