12 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

nu teenage mutant turtles animation is astonishing... I dare say it's up there with spiderverse??? sensory overload as some of u like to put it... fun movie to watch on a big screen...

Yeah, so I've heard. I might have to go see that.

34 minutes ago, IDEM said:

Yeah, so I've heard. I might have to go see that.

It was really good, the Reznor/Ross score amps up the action. It’s getting a video game adaptation, a TV series, and possibly a film sequel. Cha-Ching 💰 

image.thumb.png.586379a320466a79fbefc445f20673cf.png

i watched Dragonslayer for the first time and it was rather good. pretty strong script, solid acting, decent effects (the dragon itself in miniatures/puppets often wasn't great, but it worked). well-paced throughout. the music/sound design was particularly strong in the 1st half-ish....the stretches of no music with really well done sound design set the mood in the best of ways, but made the music all the more powerful when it was there. not sure if it's a score that would work outside the context of the film, but it worked very well as part of it.

apparently the composer Alex North did some of an original score for 2001 A Space Odyssey but Kubrick knew he wasn't going to use it? some werid studio thing IMDB says. some lovely bits, if probably not very fitting for 2001: https://youtu.be/uuCqfvbxsJs?si=6pekheIYMxIig1Sa

• Like 2

I watched that last night and thought it was disposable shit for children. some inventive bits but mostly it comes off like a longer, glossed-up horror short made by annoying youtubers (which it was). there's already both a prequel and a sequel on the way, so expect this to become some shitty franchise like Saw.

also, can't help but notice how prevalent low-light tricks are in horror films ever since Hereditary, and each successive one has done it increasingly shittily.

• Like 1

This looks very promising - mainly because it's not another sequel or something based on an existing IP. New stuff. Yay!

But I haven't heard anyone talk about it, so I'm worried it won't gain any traction.

• Like 3
  • Big Brain 1

I’m sorry but I’m beyond tired of Disney pumping out a ton of Star Wars content.  I grew up with the original films and ever since the prequels I just feel like the whole franchise is an emotionally abusive ex-partner that is trying to flirt with me to try and sucker me back into a toxic relationship where only their needs are fulfilled. Trust me, I’ve tried. I’m done. 
spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Big Brain 1

I just rented Barbie at home. 6.7 / 10. They went a bit overboard with the topic and yes, the men are all just brainless oxen who, if you let them, will all become republicans. Quite lost an opportunity to make a nuanced point on an interesting subject 

Edited by o00o

This was not subtle in its desire to teach kids not to be racist, but the plot started to meander and the water guy was super annoying. The message was admirable though, like how Sesame Street teaches kids to get along and be accepting of others. 

IMG_3846.jpeg

On 9/15/2023 at 12:09 PM, Rubin Farr said:

This was not subtle in its desire to teach kids not to be racist, but the plot started to meander and the water guy was super annoying. The message was admirable though, like how Sesame Street teaches kids to get along and be accepting of others. 

IMG_3846.jpeg

Yeah, Pixar has sort of lost the Midas touch, hasn't it? The last decent one I've seen was Onward (haven't gotten around to Soul yet), and even that pales in comparison with classics like Wall-E, Ratatouille or The Incredibles.

Just finished watching Elemental, and boy, they're really laying it on thick. Hopefully, Inside Out 2 will have some redeeming qualities.

It Chapter 2. Very bad film. I can’t believe it made so much money. It was corny as fuck. Not scary at all. All of the cgi spooky characters were basically goofy cartoons. The 1990 miniseries was way better.
Tim Curry was an infinitely better Pennywise / 10

• Like 2

10 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

It Chapter 2. Very bad film. I can’t believe it made so much money. It was corny as fuck. Not scary at all. All of the cgi spooky characters were basically goofy cartoons. The 1990 miniseries was way better.
Tim Curry was an infinitely better Pennywise / 10

• Big Brain 1

f58Pev9peTv9zDzWAYY2X7GiMbI.jpg

another great piece of science friction- 3 hot babes vacationing in the mountains come across two escaped alien convicts who are (unknowingly at first) being pursued by a (bounty hunter?) called matt. 

gail harris films are incredibly difficult to come across, but to find one with monique parent as well is a major W

• Haha 1
  • Burger 1