I just watched The Thing. Only 30 years late. Fantastic fucking film.

:cerious: ...dude.

Yeah, I know. I'm surprised I somehow avoided spoilers of all the great moments for that long.

the chest-mouth and blood testing scenes were brilliant and I got that first-viewing suprise scare as intented.

Yeah, I know. I'm surprised I somehow avoided spoilers of all the great moments for that long.

the chest-mouth and blood testing scenes were brilliant and I got that first-viewing suprise scare as intented.

Indeed. Love that flick. My Mom worked for Showcase cinemas for a long time late 70's through the 80's. She got tons of swag. Including a Thing poster & T-shirt (not worn til I dug it out in the late 80's). I wish I still had the T shirt. Wore it the fuck out thinking I was some hot shit. No idea where the poster is, but I got soooo much star wars swag, need to sell that shit.

I only first saw it about 3 years ago, but all the same. Such a treasure of a movie -- In my top 3 horror films of all time.

Edited by melancholera

What tops The Thing? It's flawless in every way.

Btw you guys know Childs WAS infected at the end right? Carpenter said if you look closely you can see he's not breathing like Macready.

Btw you guys know Childs WAS infected at the end right? Carpenter said if you look closely you can see he's not breathing like Macready.

Oh snap. That pretty much means that humanity's fucked then, right?

Is that something they established earlier (the breathing) in that if I rewatch I'll see the infected people not breathing the same as the others?

Oh snap. That pretty much means that humanity's fucked then, right?

Is that something they established earlier (the breathing) in that if I rewatch I'll see the infected people not breathing the same as the others?

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/Has-John-Carpenter-Explained-Thing-Ambiguous-Ending-35887.html

The Shining. Actually, they're probably tied to me. Both are so tremendously atmospheric and that's what appeals to me most.

Also, I didn't know that. Cool. Definitely thought it was supposed to be completely ambiguous.

check Calvary if you like that, its funnier, darker and the finale is mint.....much more like a play with a proper cast of degenerates

recent viewing - Birdman = 10/10.....raucous, anxiety-ridden, hallucinatory & funny as fuck when it needs to be

Whiplash - just watch it......& appropriate for music lovers generally

Classics? Blue Velvet, Solyaris & Stalker (Tarkovsky NOT Clooney), The Ascent (1977), Come And See, Salo/120 Days of Sodom (not easy viewing), Don't Look Now, Death In Venice, You The Living/Du Levande, anything by Werner Herzog, the last 15mins of Fellini's Juliet Of The Spirits for its hallucinatory visions, anything by Peter Greenaway & anything by David Lynch

Classics? Blue Velvet, Solyaris & Stalker (Tarkovsky NOT Clooney), The Ascent (1977), Come And See, Salo/120 Days of Sodom (not easy viewing), Don't Look Now, Death In Venice, You The Living/Du Levande, anything by Werner Herzog, the last 15mins of Fellini's Juliet Of The Spirits for its hallucinatory visions, anything by Peter Greenaway & anything by David Lynch

would you be kind enough to suggest some movies by him, i only saw his recent one Goltzius and the Pelican Company...

all your other recommendations are favorites of mine (specially Roy Andersson, btw excited about his new one A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence) so i guess anything you suggest will be cool! thanks.

would you be kind enough to suggest some movies by him, i only saw his recent one Goltzius and the Pelican Company...

all your other recommendations are favorites of mine (specially Roy Andersson, btw excited about his new one A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence) so i guess anything you suggest will be cool! thanks.

first & foremost - The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover.....Michael Dumbledore Gambon at his psychotic best & Helen Mirren slutting 7 jutting up the gaff. Add The Draughtsman's Contract, Prospero's Books & Nightwatching.....all superb especially if u like Kubrick's period piece Barry Lyndon.

You might like Import/Export by a director called Ulrich Seidl, he did another slab of strangeness called Hundstage/Dog Days which is proper. Not on the funny scale like Roy A's work, but immersive brilliant story-telling nonetheless.

what makes eugene happy? i really do wonder

to crush the goyim, see them driven before him, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

They already are cushed. Also, cynical opining on films keeps this thread real. And i don't need a crystal ball to divine that he's likely correct in his reaction after having had to have endured those two films.

watmm will keep the fire for zaphod

:loggins:

Edit:

Has anyone actually seen Inherent Vice yet? Was playing a month or so ago in LA, but I was required to exhaust my semi annual theatrical quota (of one) on Interstellar.

I am complicit.

Edited by baph

watmm will keep the fire for zaphod

:loggins:

Edit:

Has anyone actually seen Inherent Vice yet? Was playing a month or so ago in LA, but I was required to exhaust my semi annual theatrical quota (of one) on Interstellar.

I am complicit.

trying very hard to resist screeners