it was a totally dull, flat and obvious movie imo. the score was a mishmash of uninspired tropes (dissonant synth drones + scratchy atonal strings = wow such tension). the gender "reversal" was pointless and obvious. the cinematography was boring and at times completely cheesy (particularly the scenes surrounding that moment she trips in the street -- really banal, amateurish urban shots followed by a series of overlays my god that was very art student level). the whole black liquid shit was embarrassing and silly. even the vaguely unique shots of the dudes underwater just completely over-stayed its welcome and went from potentially intriguing to annoying -- wow, such blue skin floating in liquid. amaze.

to me the whole thing was like what a david lynch movie would be if david lynch sucked.

it was part live action/part fly on the wall, thought it played well against the 99.99% of detective wank that has a female victim, the way it captured the drunken menace of Glasgow at night

film school? ouch, that film was 10 years in development and has superb cinematography

each to their own

I need to see it again but the main thing I remember was feeling completely spaced out once outside the cinema and walking through Leicester Square, the beach scene was quite disturbing too. Read the book.

I find it hard to enjoy a lot of UK cinema / TV because of the 'school project' vibe they give off.

Under The Skin, Utopia, Filth (the Irvin Welsh adaptation) .. countless others, feel like I am watching a six form project always.

Dunno if it is the quality of the image, or the lack of serious experience by the production crews, or the awful feeling it has been edited in a university edit suite.

Literally can't watch any of the above properly objectively because of this and it makes the flaws stand out so nasty.

Ben Wheatley joints seem to be of a high enough quality for me to enjoy. Can't think of any other undergroundy work that is of anywhere near that level of expertise.

So maybe under the skin is good but i can't see through the amateur.

Morgan Creek To Sell Film Library; ‘Ace Ventura’, ‘Exorcist’ & ‘Major League’ Eyed For Remakes

Morgan Creek CEO Jim Robinson told Deadline. “It will go back into the company to fund more production. We have a number of properties that we are looking to move forward on.” Hmmm, could a remake of Major League and Ace be in the works? “Yes,” said Robinson, who said that ideas are being tossed right now for both those and The Exorcist.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

There's absolutely nothing they could do in an Exorcist remake that would make it worth doing, and even in the unlikely event that the remake is good, it will fall flat with horror fans simply from the massive glut of mediocre exorcism movies that have come out since it was originally released.

I have the same with most things the BBC does, don't feel it in films though.

Look at top gear and planet earth and stuff tho, is incredibly lush and probably the highest production on televisions in the world ever.

Would love to see that talent working on something with more underground source material could be the dankest.

I find it hard to enjoy a lot of UK cinema / TV because of the 'school project' vibe they give off.

i think i know exactly what you're talking about and it's due to the type of camera they use (mostly older broadcast quality cameras) but i love that warm look because it makes whatever you're watching having a kind of documentary feel to it. with most american shows, they get so carried away with the look that they forget about the story

tbh all the shows i am referring to colour grade everything to a ludicrous extent [think my first photoshop ] and it's like david fincher on acid all stupid desaturated except one colour [yellow in utopia - blues in black mirror red in dead set etc]

people usually grow up and stop abusing plugins pretty quickly to this extent and and everyone is guilty for it at first but it should never be exponed on prime time television

they all use this grain plugin as well which i could only call 'UK grit' which must be some exec decision

'this doesn't look UK grit enough guys turn the grit up!

yeah like that!

yeh, gritty.

BRILLIANT.'

i really dunno how you could put Filth (0/10) and Utopia (1/10) in the same bracket other than nationality.

all the BBC does is costume wank and high-def nature docs, oh shitty panel shows, and shows based on cooking competitions.....real film school gear.

Peaky Blinder was like the BBC trying to a Boardwalk Empire or summat, and as for the so-called Brummie accents they could just overdubbed Ozzy Osbourne and used more period appropriator music too....if authenticity counts for owt these days

Ben Wheatley's done some good gear, but he couldnt have made something like UTC simply cos he has his own oeuvre. A Field in England is a solid 7/10, KIlllist similar and Sightseers fallls into its own class of horrors

Under The Skin, Utopia, Filth (the Irvin Welsh adaptation) .. countless others, feel like I am watching a six form project always.

Dunno if it is the quality of the image, or the lack of serious experience by the production crews, or the awful feeling it has been edited in a university edit suite.

Literally can't watch any of the above properly objectively because of this and it makes the flaws stand out so nasty.

Ben Wheatley joints seem to be of a high enough quality for me to enjoy. Can't think of any other undergroundy work that is of anywhere near that level of expertise.

So maybe under the skin is good but i can't see through the amateur.

10 years in development and has superb cinematography

bahahahahahaha

cerebral sci-fi was a world away from Sexy Beast (classic gangsta filem) but if you find nothing in Under The Skin except mockable wank then you need your fuckin ead' read mate

neverthless, a well thought out response Mr L, the last time i gave an honest opinion in this thread i got banned, so i'll leave you to your self-satisfied chortlin. At least mutual husband & wife criticism has apparently saved a marriage, but still doesnt get close to undermining what few good films actually get made these days.

Maybe Pacific Rim would suit you better

CijRq3D.png

this is probably the most "annoying" documentary i've EVER watched. it's basically a camera crew spending a few (days? weeks?) with a pimp called snooky and you basically watch him degrade, abuse and exploit women. it's completely beyond me why any woman would want to give all her money to this guy or put up with his crap considering the miserable conditions they live in (he insults their moms and beats them if they show any kind of sympathy to family members) all in the meanwhile spinning a long list of lies about starting businesses with them which they run but he owns.

at one point in the film one of the girl's family members tries to kill this guy, but his "bodyguards" who also act the camera crews security team come to his aid before he flees to get "mo bitches!". snooky is now on permanent vacation in one of the finest resorts in the country- so everything ended up better than expected

not recommended unless you don't have a problem watching women get a double dose of that pimpin'

Edited by Nebraska