Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief - kinda shit, shallow and one note, it's basically a two hour long anti-scientology infomercial. it's like claiming to make a film about catholic church but only focusing on its pedo and other scandals. this is a pretty good review: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/13/movies/review-alex-gibney-takes-on-scientology-in-going-clear.html

Hmmmmmmm... is George Clooney contracted to play the same character in all Coen Brothers' movies?

the thing is very few other filmmakers even approach the level of conception and execution that the coens do so i'll see this even if the acting is hammy and i dont enjoy some of the actors. channing looks like he has a big part and that is exciting

I think if the Coens reunited with Nic Cage they could do a great meta comedy on Hollywood with Cage playing himself and themed around his declining career, hair loss, financial woes, Scientology, his obsession with Elvis, etc

Hmmmmmmm... is George Clooney contracted to play the same character in all Coen Brothers' movies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UfagsFN0g4

the thing is very few other filmmakers even approach the level of conception and execution that the coens do so i'll see this even if the acting is hammy and i dont enjoy some of the actors. channing looks like he has a big part and that is exciting

Oh absolutely! I'll watch anything they make, no doubt about that.

Christ, A Serious Man is such a good movie!

I think if the Coens reunited with Nic Cage they could do a great meta comedy on Hollywood with Cage playing himself and themed around his declining career, hair loss, financial woes, Scientology, his obsession with Elvis, etc

what, another Birdman?

space odyssey 2010: year we made contact

lot better than i expected, a decent but arguably needless follow-up to a movie that's a classic

kinda demystifies 2001 but I read arthur c clarke's later sequel 3001 so I wasn't phased by this

space odyssey 2010: year we made contact

lot better than i expected, a decent but arguably needless follow-up to a movie that's a classic

kinda demystifies 2001 but I read arthur c clarke's later sequel 3001 so I wasn't phased by this

love the spacewalk scene in this movie,felt really claustrophobic 1st time i seen it

trespass--8 chunky mobile phones out of 10

Edited by sunshine recorder

tried to watch grandma's boy for the second time since it came out. holy fucking shit that movie sucks. how people mention it in the same breath as office space is beyond me. how was it made in 2006? it feels like a really dated 90s movie.

gave up after an hour / 10

the terrible ideas for movies thread is thataway --->

tried to watch grandma's boy for the second time since it came out. holy fucking shit that movie sucks. how people mention it in the same breath as office space is beyond me. how was it made in 2006? it feels like a really dated 90s movie.

gave up after an hour / 10

you'll find a lot of ultra shitty movies sort of 'snuck in' through the door when marijuana started to become really mainstream in the US. These also include the Harold & Kumar trilogy(?) <-- try watching that now and tell me it isn't truly horrible (youll have a hard time )

one of my favorites that didn't get the same level of accolades is an early american 2nd gen stoner comedy called How High, where several members from the Wu-tang clan smoke the ground up body of one of our founding fathers, its pretty great

Edited by John Ehrlichman

one of my favorites that didn't get the same level of accolades is an early american 2nd gen stoner comedy called How High, where several members from the Wu-tang clan

here's my favorite one. cappadonna (from wu-tang) and a few other rappers (not from wu-tang) got high, then rescripted, redubbed and rescored duel of the iron fist and called it iron fist pillage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdRvOFAMcMs