5 hours ago, ooqpoo said:

One thing I simply cannot stomach about Nebraska's film posts is that he never says where he found/watched those movies, cause I can never fuckin find them anywhere xD

that and the name and/or imdb link...

:snares:?

just get your shit togheter m9...

2 hours ago, ooqpoo said:

One thing I simply cannot stomach about Nebraska's film posts is that he never says where he found/watched those movies, cause I can never fuckin find them anywhere xD

amazon prime and tubi.tv have been very good to me. see how far you can make it into this film.

PlL6Ony.png

despite all the hype, this wasn't very good mainly because screenwriting is not the strong suite of stunt actors trying give their characters backstories. very funny guys. 

dam, tubi.tv isn´t available to me. Any other streaming sites that specialize in those tasty obscure flicks? I have POV Horror but its only found footage stuff. I also normally come up empty handed looking on piratebay, though one can sometimes get lucky there

1 minute ago, ooqpoo said:

dam, tubi.tv isn´t available to me. Any other streaming sites that specialize in those tasty obscure flicks? 

try a VPN.

youtube also has a lot of tasty free "bad cinema". i highly recommend the following film. one of the best i've seen all year. i have a very soft spot for lifetime originals

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nebraska said:

amazon prime and tubi.tv have been very good to me. see how far you can make it into this film.

PlL6Ony.png

despite all the hype, this wasn't very good mainly because screenwriting is not the strong suite of stunt actors trying give their characters backstories. very funny guys. 

• Facepalm 2

Watched John wick 4 as well.

Should've stopped with the first one, still the best of the bunch

All the 'lore' is stupid, was ok when it remained as a vague. Assassin's have sanctuaries? they pay with gold coins? ok. They answer to some stupid all powerful secret society with backwards rules? Laaaaaame.

Ending's bad. Teaser scene cheap.

still has great choreographed fighting scenes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

poster.jpg?1682334373132

this was terrible. the marketing says "from the studio that brought you john wick" but clearly not the same brains. there's also so much post production happening you'd think the entire country was asked to contribute in retouching things up so they looked as "not real" as possible. 

spacer.png

No surprise, this was brilliant. I’ve been a big fan of Östlund’s work for a while and was dying to check this out before it was released (and before it won at Cannes). Unfortunately, as a toddler-dad, I was unable to find the 2 hours to sit down and watch this until last night. I strongly feel this movie needs to be required viewing for every schoolchild. 

It’s on Hulu now, so you guys all need to watch it. If you haven’t seen Force Majeure or The Square. Watch those, too. 

♾️/10

• Like 4
  • Burger 1
  • Big Brain 1

Yeah, uhm..it's been out a long time and everyone seen it 6 months ago. Talk about turning up late to the party. Nice rousing speech though.

• Big Brain 1

1 hour ago, Schlitze said:

Yeah, uhm..it's been out a long time and everyone seen it 6 months ago. Talk about turning up late to the party. Nice rousing speech though.

Schlitze

13 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

spacer.png

No surprise, this was brilliant. I’ve been a big fan of Östlund’s work for a while and was dying to check this out before it was released (and before it won at Cannes). Unfortunately, as a toddler-dad, I was unable to find the 2 hours to sit down and watch this until last night. I strongly feel this movie needs to be required viewing for every schoolchild. 

It’s on Hulu now, so you guys all need to watch it. If you haven’t seen Force Majeure or The Square. Watch those, too. 

♾️/10

Sad that the actress died. It was on the nose but very enjoyable. 

I liked Blindspotting recently. 

On 5/26/2023 at 9:39 PM, Nebraska said:

poster.jpg?1682334373132

this was terrible. the marketing says "from the studio that brought you john wick" but clearly not the same brains. there's also so much post production happening you'd think the entire country was asked to contribute in retouching things up so they looked as "not real" as possible. 

But who doesn't like ultraviolent b movies where nazis get murdered?

Edited by aderei

I finally saw the highly-lauded Life is Beautiful, after years of hearing from people what a wonderful movie it is. what a fucking crock of shit, it was a complete farce. like a Holocaust remix of the worst things about Amelie (yes I know it came first). Benigni, both in character and his irl self, seems like the kind of person you couldn't be 5 minutes around without wanting to strangle violently.

the fablemans

yeah idk man. this was fine? it's quite ridiculous and probably not a very good film. the dialog is at times absurd and heavy-handed, starting with the very first scene in which the dad explains films through technical terms and the mom calls them dreams. this is dichotomy. wow. they're like, opposites. i felt the story was basically fine but it did not have an emotional core - it showed what in a better movie would have been felt. the family dynamic was there, a story was there, but there really was nothing that drew the viewer into a deeper register.

the glorification of the spielberg stand-in character was genuinely annoying - the movie revolves around a kid who is a kind of perfectly creative filmaker starting at like age 6 where he's filming full movies in his house with complex lighting, creative props, special effects, etc. every time we are shown one of his films it's a huge success, the audience is literally hooting and hollering in amazement at every turn. at no point does he struggle with his art, fail at anything, undergo any process of learning or discovery. this kid is simply a born filmaking prodigy.  he is at one point picked on by a bully, only to be immediately befriended by the bully's girlfriend and her friend who throws herself at him. he briefly hates his mom for what he discovers only for him to immediately forgive her when he reveals what he knows. his dad doesn't understand him and considers his art a mere "hobby" but nevertheless supports his hobby at every turn. the potential conflicts are constantly undermined like this. the most interesting conflict - the mother torn between two worlds - is just undercooked and bland. and anyway in the end she gets what she wants, too. this is a world where every ending is happy and no conflict endures for more than a few scenes. it amounts to just the happenings of a privileged oedipal unit.

which to me is not an interesting thing to watch. as ever, spielberg cannot produce anything erotic which renders the central conflict of the story cold and plastic. never in film has there been a scene of a woman dancing in a nightgown with lights behind her shining through and revealing her body underneath that was less sensual, less erotic. that scene was rated G. this was a weird film that was almost nothing but cliche, there are no standout lines or characters or shots or anything like that. it's all very nicely done but yeah, just an extremely conservative film in every way. kind of disturbing that there is no real wisdom to be found in a very late work by one of the most celebrated film makers in the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey dudes I’m watching Vice. Seeing as probably about 10 films called Vice it’s the one about Dick (there’s probably a few more movies called Vice about dick). Dick Cheney. So fart so good.

Good chance of finishing it. Unlike many  films nowadays that I can’t be fucking bothering watching. BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS!!!

20 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

never really understood the fascination for that Benigni dude...

I suspect these two movies appeal to exactly the same type of people. in fact, Benigni's character is just an older male version of the same manic pissflaps dream girl from Amelie.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, usagi said:

I finally saw the highly-lauded Life is Beautiful, after years of hearing from people what a wonderful movie it is. what a fucking crock of shit, it was a complete farce. like a Holocaust remix of the worst things about Amelie (yes I know it came first). Benigni, both in character and his irl self, seems like the kind of person you couldn't be 5 minutes around without wanting to strangle violently.

Wouldn't agree with the bolded. It was polarizing on release and there was a ton of criticism for it winning the Oscar (edit:  I originally said Palme D'or, very different award but basic point stands). I agree with the rest though, that film (and everything Begnini) is execrable.

Cannes has an odd thing for obnoxious Italian filmmakers (see also:  Moretti, Sorrentino, and arguably Olmi and Fellini). Like being an adult acting like a precocious child, coupled with being able to say "I worked with ____ at Cinecitta in 1972" will automatically get you competition entry.

Tangentially:  I've never been huge on Jonathan Glazer but the reviews for his new film (which debuted at Cannes) have me intrigued. It sounds excellent.

Edited by Taupe Beats

22 minutes ago, Taupe Beats said:

Tangentially:  I've never been huge on Jonathan Glazer but the reviews for his new film (which debuted at Cannes) have me intrigued. It sounds excellent.

Yeah, kind of came out of nowhere too? I'm actually a pretty big Glazer fan (mainly coming from his music videos and commercials - the Director Series DVD wore out my player ages ago), but somehow totally missed he was putting together a new film until a few weeks ago. 

Pretty great review of the new film here (spoilers abound, but I'm not sure it will actually makes a difference with a film like this): https://www.vox.com/culture/23733985/zone-interest-arendt-banality-review-canes-jonathan-glazer

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

the fablemans

yeah idk man. this was fine? it's quite ridiculous and probably not a very good film. the dialog is at times absurd and heavy-handed, starting with the very first scene in which the dad explains films through technical terms and the mom calls them dreams. this is dichotomy. wow. they're like, opposites. i felt the story was basically fine but it did not have an emotional core - it showed what in a better movie would have been felt. the family dynamic was there, a story was there, but there really was nothing that drew the viewer into a deeper register.

the glorification of the spielberg stand-in character was genuinely annoying - the movie revolves around a kid who is a kind of perfectly creative filmaker starting at like age 6 where he's filming full movies in his house with complex lighting, creative props, special effects, etc. every time we are shown one of his films it's a huge success, the audience is literally hooting and hollering in amazement at every turn. at no point does he struggle with his art, fail at anything, undergo any process of learning or discovery. this kid is simply a born filmaking prodigy.  he is at one point picked on by a bully, only to be immediately befriended by the bully's girlfriend and her friend who throws herself at him. he briefly hates his mom for what he discovers only for him to immediately forgive her when he reveals what he knows. his dad doesn't understand him and considers his art a mere "hobby" but nevertheless supports his hobby at every turn. the potential conflicts are constantly undermined like this. the most interesting conflict - the mother torn between two worlds - is just undercooked and bland. and anyway in the end she gets what she wants, too. this is a world where every ending is happy and no conflict endures for more than a few scenes. it amounts to just the happenings of a privileged oedipal unit.

which to me is not an interesting thing to watch. as ever, spielberg cannot produce anything erotic which renders the central conflict of the story cold and plastic. never in film has there been a scene of a woman dancing in a nightgown with lights behind her shining through and revealing her body underneath that was less sensual, less erotic. that scene was rated G. this was a weird film that was almost nothing but cliche, there are no standout lines or characters or shots or anything like that. it's all very nicely done but yeah, just an extremely conservative film in every way. kind of disturbing that there is no real wisdom to be found in a very late work by one of the most celebrated film makers in the world.

I'm so not into Steven Spielberg I watched this movie thinking it was going to be his take on a weird magical family. Probably mixed up an article about a book adaption at some point. When I realised it was about him it became pretty obnoxious. Why does the actor playing him wear lenses? Did Spielberg have some sort of cornea sickness? Who makes a movie about himself anyways? Lynch felt very shoehorned in at the end. I was glad it was over.

Edited by chronical

7 hours ago, usagi said:

I suspect these two movies appeal to exactly the same type of people. in fact, Benigni's character is just an older male version of the same manic pissflaps dream girl from Amelie.

the color grading that this guy (Jean-Pierre Jeunet) uses for his movies makes me puke... although a lot of peeps love city of lost children and delicatessen... also 2 movies I couldn't give a shit about...

• Like 1

michael mann's "thief"

now THIS is a fucking movie. goddamn they do not make em like they used to. honestly a 10/10 film. great performances, great story, great music, great cinematography. so much of this stands out, stays with you. it feels so real. at one point i even said "thank you" aloud after a scene, just because it felt so satisfying to be seeing a real fucking movie. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3