spacer.png

Kinda crazy finally seeing this after years decades of waiting. Not much story. Mostly just highlights of the recoding sessions and rehearsals. Honestly, I don’t see what the big fuss was about it making the band members look bad. It’s pretty benign. Definitely inspired me to pick up my guitar afterwards, probably for the first time in 6 months. 
There are some cool moments in there that weren’t in the Get Back series but, at the end of the day, I would say if you had to choose between them, the series is infinitely more interesting. Still, The Beatles are The Beatles and I would gladly watch a 12 hour documentary about them doing their taxes. 
🍏/10

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 2

e5hNOS2uwIvPCNSyIOkpmtm6HEM.jpg

one of my go-to films to watch when i'm feeling ill; as it requires you to just "sit and watch" the futile attempt at discovering eldorado. the character of aguirre reminds me a lot of captain ahab (except that character's obsession is mainly driven by his maniacal dispute with God whereas aguirre it's both greed and his own warped ego)

near perfection out of ten

• Like 5

On 7/29/2024 at 11:27 AM, Nebraska said:

e5hNOS2uwIvPCNSyIOkpmtm6HEM.jpg

one of my go-to films to watch when i'm feeling ill; as it requires you to just "sit and watch" the futile attempt at discovering eldorado. the character of aguirre reminds me a lot of captain ahab (except that character's obsession is mainly driven by his maniacal dispute with God whereas aguirre it's both greed and his own warped ego)

near perfection out of ten

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 12:58 AM, J3FF3R00 said:

spacer.png

Kinda crazy finally seeing this after years decades of waiting. Not much story. Mostly just highlights of the recoding sessions and rehearsals. Honestly, I don’t see what the big fuss was about it making the band members look bad. It’s pretty benign. Definitely inspired me to pick up my guitar afterwards, probably for the first time in 6 months. 
There are some cool moments in there that weren’t in the Get Back series but, at the end of the day, I would say if you had to choose between them, the series is infinitely more interesting. Still, The Beatles are The Beatles and I would gladly watch a 12 hour documentary about them doing their taxes. 
🍏/10

I prefer Wings myself when is their Disney spesh?

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

MV5BZGQ2YzQ2ZTItYmJmNy00ZGFjLWFhZWYtY2U3

a joseph lai masterpiece that has to be seen to be believed. a young girl's pet snake is exposed to a mysterious chemical that causes it to grow a thousand fold. meanwhile, there is a terrorist group / militia that's trying to acquire the formula (for the mysterious chemical here described as "strictly military" and gives it's user "unlimited power").

through clumsy editing we bounce off these two narratives: on one hand a bunch of commandos shooting at guerrillas protecting "the scientists" who 'created?' the mysterious formula that started this whole thing, and the giant snake protecting the little girl and her family because it is now a giant the size of godzilla. 

this film is described as dealing with "the horror of science gone wrong" which could possibly be the first time producer joseph lai introduced a social criticism of technology and embraced a more left-leaning yet commando styled form of anarchism.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

eighteen years in prison / eighteen year sentence by tai kato (1967)

another film set in the post WW2 chaos of a japan struggling with black markets and petty crime, struggles of poverty and a demoralised population, like kato's 'by a man's face you shall know him'.

former (real) yakuza noboru ando leads again, this time as a military man who had great responsibility during the war, now trying to gather locals together for a brighter future. clearly confident, he handles these kato appearances well and doesn't look weak compared to regular but part cast members.

a misstep puts him inside, and amongst various problematic thugs and hoodlums, one or two strong and silent types, ultimately including the estranged brother of a woman he met and was drawn to shortly before incarceration.

they are manipulated into conflict by wayward influences and former friends who are vying for greater power and losing their moral compass through misjudged ambition. the clashes are typical of genre films that can tangle characters in scripts far more cost-effectively than in settings, so locations are quite sparse but deftly made impressive use of.

some sets might be in back lots of the studio, sound stages possibly visible in the background at times. however, i still remain amazed at how the maximum impact is looked for in how sets are compost in shots  and cast are scattered for an effect that's less modest than minor, faltering shots momentarily suggest.

this is a tale of a man considered immoral determined to be righteous, appears by some to be on his way down and looks like he's on the high ground compared to others. it's an unexpected discovery, a director lost in time but at times covered by retrospectives and respected by many decades later despite the lack of wider western exposure.

My morbid curiosity got me started on the director cuts of Netflix Snyder Star Wars aka Rebel Moon, and 15 minutes in I have to say holy fuck these are possibly the ugliest movies I've ever seen. Just visual diarrhea, and the acting and story also seems to be heavily enema influenced. My god. I'm not sure I'm going to make it. Lock him up.

Is the moon in question Zack's ass? Is that it?

Edited by Silent Member
  • Haha 1
  • Big Brain 1

21 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Deadpool & Wolverine: C+

I thought it was worse than that, D or even D- from me. I might not be part of the target demographic anymore, either. Should've waited for streaming instead of wasting a theatre visit.

Edited by dcom

2 hours ago, Silent Member said:

My morbid curiosity got me started on the director cuts of Netflix Snyder Star Wars aka Rebel Moon, and 15 minutes in I have to say holy fuck these are possibly the ugliest movies I've ever seen. Just visual diarrhea, and the acting and story also seems to be heavily enema influenced. My god. I'm not sure I'm going to make it. Lock him up.

Is the moon in question Zack's ass? Is that it?

why would you do this to yourself

• Farnsworth 1

23 minutes ago, dcom said:
39 minutes ago, usagi said:

People would rather be electrically shocked than left alone with their thoughts (Science)

66bb211349359060c44afc9edaaf19c3c1a527be3d9d21bff9700f3587057372_1-1965727741.jpg.f787532d3a4578f3404dff94284b6813.jpg

on a very related note/on topic i've been watching the Harry Potter movies and LotR movies over the last couple of months. only paying like 33% attention usually. LotR stuff holds up well enough, not watched the Hobbit ones tho. HP films are cute, mostly blah but there's a few good ones in there and none of them are bad.

2 hours ago, usagi said:

I love hate-watching sci fi slop on lazy Sundays, god forbid I do something enjoyable or creative. 

44 minutes ago, Silent Member said:

I love hate-watching sci fi slop on lazy Sundays, god forbid I do something enjoyable or creative. 

I watch a lot of complete garbage in a similar way. I'm wasting my time on my terms, it's not anyone else's problem.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, auxien said:

on a very related note/on topic i've been watching the Harry Potter movies and LotR movies over the last couple of months. only paying like 33% attention usually. LotR stuff holds up well enough, not watched the Hobbit ones tho. HP films are cute, mostly blah but there's a few good ones in there and none of them are bad.

It's amazing to me how LOTR is one of the greatest three movies of all time, and The Hobbit lacked every single bit of magic that LOTR somehow captured. 

Turrible, just turrible.

Tired Charles Barkley GIF by NBA on TNT

• Haha 2
  • Big Brain 1

4 hours ago, lyst said:

It's amazing to me how LOTR is one of the greatest three movies of all time, and The Hobbit lacked every single bit of magic that LOTR somehow captured. 

Turrible, just turrible.

Tired Charles Barkley GIF by NBA on TNT

…and Rings of Power was even WORSE. 
I still can’t believe it was renewed for a second season :facepalm:

The Hobbit films really shit the bed by completely ignoring the whimsicality of the original book. It could have been great if they held onto the childish nature and broke the tone with moments like Gollum, Smaug, etc. Instead, they felt compelled to raise the stakes and drama all around and it fell flat. 

• Farnsworth 1

I'm just here to point out that rebel moon part 2 directors cut is a very abstract four hour movie about a wheat field, where you can't see what is happening for most of the time.

It has had a very negative impact on my life so far.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Silent Member said:

I'm just here to point out that rebel moon part 2 directors cut is a very abstract four hour movie about a wheat field, where you can't see what is happening for most of the time.

did you watch part 1 of the directors cut? i've been watching to watch both but just haven't had enough time for all 7 1/2hrs of this epic.

• Like 1

Yeah, I did them both. Part one was pretty bad, but compared to part two it's a masterpiece.

• Like 1

spacer.png

This was meh. Nic Cage was highly entertaining (surprise surprise) but the rest was a bit slow and boring. The big problem was that the lead actress was very one-note / blah. Didn’t buy that she was FBI for a second. 
I do find current Nic Cage’s strategy of saying yes to just about any crazy character as entertaining as the roles themselves. I’m pretty sure that he gets his name attached to get a movie into production that otherwise wouldn’t get made so that if it makes a little cash he gets some off the top. Sorry but without him this movie is a total dud. 

Edit:

It didn’t help that three teenagers movie-hopped into the theater about 10 minutes in and proceeded to cough loudly, laugh, shine flashlights, make animal sounds and take flash photos of the screen, throughout.
 I ratted them out to security who asked me if they had tickets! Wtf?? Dude. That’s your job, not mine. I said “I have no idea” so he just came in for a stroll and left, doing absolutely zero.
The kids started up again for 20 more minutes or so so I had to go out again but this time I told a custodian lady who got the job done and the kids were ejected. I almost asked for my money back. 

Edited by J3FF3R00