IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Alzado

Did anyone see this mini-review on BoCpages?

1. A listen to the record at Warp Records' London headquarters suggests the last eight years have not been spent in vain. Clocking in at just over an hour, it sounds both quintessentially Boards, and also like a honing of their craft. The optimistic tones of The Campfire Headphase have receded slightly, a more ineffable mood dominating. There are raga-like drones, washes of John Carpenter-like arpeggiated synth, melodies that explode like sudden lens-flare, and rhythms that forsake the skitter of IDM for something more gently, but robustly propulsive.
  2. Discerning a concept within Tomorrow's Harvest is some job. Some track titles ("Uritual", "Semena Mertvykh") defy explanation; others gesture ambiguously to very Boards concerns ("Jacquard Causeway" may be a reference to the Jacquard loom, a rudimentary mechanical computer). It is music that revels in the power of suggestion, encouraging the listener to focus on minuscule detail, Magic Eye-like, until some no-doubt imagined narrative of international espionage or environmental collapse pops out. On ''Telepath", a continuity announcer counts up a number scale, before starting from scratch, this time missing numbers along the way. Voices loom from the fog, conversational fragments float free: " ... this is quite close ... blatantly concealed ... "
  3. Yet for all the misdirection- perhaps in part because of it- tracks like "New Seeds" and "Palace Posy'' feel on a par with anything in Boards' catalogue. Meanwhile, that first piece of vinyl just sold on eBay for $5,700-and according to Warp's Steven Hill, there are a couple of discs unaccounted for. "It's hard to say," he puzzles. "Maybe people have bought them and haven't shared them. Or maybe they're still to be found."

Guest mankymusic

I've resisted all urges to listen to anything yet, I want the full experience of the album, not snippets - its hard though. can't wait!

Is it still thought that the track from the "Tomorrow's Harvest" trailer was Gemini? If that's the case then perhaps we have the first two songs and videos...

It's not.

I couldn't resist:

nEKhLkd.jpg

You Sir, Win The Internet™!

No, it hasn't.

Absolutely no promos have gone out - WARP was smart this time and have only previewed the album from their offices, or in the upcoming listening party in Paris.

I wouldn't be surprised if even close associates of BoC don't have the album yet.

No, it hasn't.

Absolutely no promos have gone out - WARP was smart this time and have only previewed the album from their offices, or in the upcoming listening party in Paris.

I wouldn't be surprised if even close associates of BoC don't have the album yet.

Warp should handle all releases like that.

No, it hasn't.

Warp should handle all releases like that.

I think the hype surrounding it, in addition to the long hiatus since Boards' last release was the impetus for the extra measures. All speculation on my part, though.

I was excited at first with the updates on the bleep orders, thinking we might get it a little earlier, but now I realize it probably will stay on "in progress" until the 20th or something

Stop false hope giving updates on bleep orders

Anyone who got into BOC because they quite liked the mellow vibes of 'Davyan Cowboy' is going to run screaming for the hills after hearing 'Jacquard Causeway'.

GrumpyCatGOOD..jpg

On first listen, it's their darkest, most dystopian record, sonically cluttered and a million miles away from the sentimental reverie of MHTRTC...

... my initial impression is that this will become the serious Boards of Canada fan's favourite album, but anybody who came in at The Campfire Headphase will probably be opting out.

interesting.

Edited by keltoi