IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jasondonervan

[–]vineavip 3 points 2 hours ago

What is your favourite music for parties?

[–]0neohtrixVerified 9 points 13 minutes ago

Pure Moods

[]0neohtrixVerified 1 point 8 minutes ago

yes--- see the piece i wrote about oswald in wire, it sums up things i appreciate about his work

certain marclay stuff, particularly a video of him on david sandborn's old late night show

neg land is a bit rough for me but i like that it exists

Funny, that's the issue of Wire that I found by googling the other day. I ordered a copy then by the way, so maybe I can get pics or scans sometime soon.

Unless someone has/gets a digital subscription, that would be a lot faster. :smile:

[]0neohtrixVerified 1 point 8 minutes ago

yes--- see the piece i wrote about oswald in wire, it sums up things i appreciate about his work

certain marclay stuff, particularly a video of him on david sandborn's old late night show

neg land is a bit rough for me but i like that it exists

Funny, that's the issue of Wire that I found by googling the other day. I ordered a copy then by the way, so maybe I can get pics or scans sometime soon.

Unless someone has/gets a digital subscription, that would be a lot faster. :smile:

Marclay video:

"

[–]Retosik 11 points

2 hours ago

What do you think about Autechre?

[–]Bat-Might 6 points

2 hours ago

I hope someday we can look back on the progression of eleven Oneohtrix albums.

[–]0neohtrixVerified[S] 5 points

20 minutes ago

hah thanks. thats a nice number

[–]0neohtrixVerified[S] 6 points

21 minutes ago

the best. just saw ikeda perform in den haag and had to go home and listen to confield because i realized that the things i want ikeda et al to do musically (vs structurally) has been actualized hundreds of times in Ae's cannon. oversteps btw... that is one of their best in my opinion. they will always be a north star for me

"

Guest jasondonervan
[–]Chuumba 3 points 5 hours ago

I attended your performance at Glasgow's CCA and while I thoroughly enjoyed your sounds, the visual display seemed to contribute equally as much; would you give an overview as to how they were achieved and how they were manipulated to form such a cohesive unity with the sound? It didn't seem to rely too heavily on triggers, was it a mix of manual tweaking and automation?

[–]0neohtrixVerified 5 points 2 hours ago

thanks. lots of fx sends, sp 555 live processing of audio, some audio on rails some chance trigger stuff. im not that interested in 'improvising' w/ a computer, more interested in modules of form / music / texture assembling itself into self automating sensuality clusters. where things start effecting eachother via affect agents. i learned this from kevin martin (the bug) at a show in bristol. nitro selection and dub techniques, thats where its at for me live

I was at that show too :beer:

seemed a lil reticent/curt on the AMA... possibly because of the quality of questions, or is my impression off? did he deliberately invert the words "affect" and "effect" ?

been listening to R+7 for a week, baffled that somebody would rate this higher than Exai.

Guest Zelmo Swift

I was bored.

ATEfvss.png

damn this is awesome

it's like a visual remix done 80s Pixar style, very appropriate

I like it too! Great color, light, and shadow.

been listening to R+7 for a week, baffled that somebody would rate this higher than Exai.

Apples and oranges.

seemed a lil reticent/curt on the AMA... possibly because of the quality of questions, or is my impression off? did he deliberately invert the words "affect" and "effect" ?

to be fair:

- it's reddit - there's always odd sensibilities that emerge based on seniority and tone of discussion

- most of questions were meh (as I said, it's reddit) - hell they were so bad mine actually was answered :emotawesomepm9: - kind of wished I asked a separate one on hauntology and another about the likely sample of P.E. in "Describing Bodies"

I was glad to read about his actual extent of knowledge of vaporwave.

Guest zaphod

has this mix been posted?

http://www.self-titledmag.com/2010/05/20/needle-exchange-020-an-exclusive-mix-by-oneohtrix-point-never/

probably has. i can't figure out if he's being ironic in his choices or not. some of the stuff is absolutely terrible, but i can see the influence on replica and r plus seven. seems more like a mix you'd make to impress hipsters than something anyone would listen to. but, after reading this press blitz, the one thing i'm taking away is that lopatin seems to intellectualize music rather heavily. i don't relate to that, and it's strange that i find most of his albums so engaging. i guess it's similar to jim o'rourke, who seems to come from an academic place yet makes very listenable, intelligent pop music (sometimes).

I don't think he's being ironic, I agree he intellectualizes music and art heavily but he's also frank and honest and he gives some moments of that. He seems to lack a sense of pretentiousness and snobbery for someone so academically oriented, I think he truly listens to and absorbs a lot of music and art from all sources. Like flat out saying that he tried re-creating a Dopplereffect track or being upfront about using Goldwave and a Juno synth + delay pedal and just leaving it at that seems pretty upfront.

He goes into some intellectual territory that doesn't interest me often (and the discussion doesn't either - I still won't try to read the TinyMixTapes review), but he still seems grounded in humor: there are moments he jokes or cracks a grin at his own words in the RBMA and you can tell the audience and MC are taking the lecture so seriously that they don't even notice.

Just listened to R+7. Decent stuff, but no favourite. My question (probably already been aswered somewhere in the previous 33 pages) is; why does Warp suddenly start to release experimental ambient that probably won't sell shit? I thought Warp just released hipster indie plus some AE/Squarepusher these days. Is this the new hipster indie? Is Warp going back to the roots?

Archived