• Created
  • Last Reply

"

[–]Retosik 11 points

2 hours ago

What do you think about Autechre?

[–]Bat-Might 6 points

2 hours ago

I hope someday we can look back on the progression of eleven Oneohtrix albums.

[–]0neohtrixVerified[S] 5 points

20 minutes ago

hah thanks. thats a nice number

[–]0neohtrixVerified[S] 6 points

21 minutes ago

the best. just saw ikeda perform in den haag and had to go home and listen to confield because i realized that the things i want ikeda et al to do musically (vs structurally) has been actualized hundreds of times in Ae's cannon. oversteps btw... that is one of their best in my opinion. they will always be a north star for me

"north star" is a nice analogy.

au contraire: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/dancealbums

(at time of posting, R+7 is at #28).

Perhaps not indicative of 'huge sales', but copies (digital or physical) are definitely being shifted.

that list is surreal, #8 is the first release I'd actually even bother with and it's Moby, nothing besides The Field and Disclosure until OPN @ #28 which looks insanely out of place...also Discovery @ 35!? Is that like the Dark Side of The Moon of dance music?

Perhaps not indicative of 'huge sales', but copies (digital or physical) are definitely being shifted.

that list is surreal, #8 is the first release I'd actually even bother with and it's Moby, nothing besides The Field and Disclosure until OPN @ #28 which looks insanely out of place...also Discovery @ 35!? Is that like the Dark Side of The Moon of dance music?

Daft Punk's new album was so average that everybody turned back at Discovery's last reissue (as many were too young to buy it initially)

Guest Zelmo Swift

He also wrote the score for Sofia Coppola’s film The Bling Ring (2013).

I'm pleasantly surprised, but still puzzled by how his music suddenly is so popular.

I think he has a hella good agent/publicity team working for him. That's like, half the game, in my eyes.

Either you make a career out of your art, or you get a job and have a hobby that a few people pay attention to.

Everyone and their neighbor makes music now, so how do you expect to get people's attention and time without making yourself extremely visible?

Pay to play, and if your shit is good enough, you might be able to earn a living.

i think it's cool that nowadays you don't have to be good at synthesis, you can just use general midi. and instead of composition chops you can just do like this: fast, unimaginative arpeggio here, followed by wacky chopped up late 90s vox here, followed by more general midi nooding, and have everything tied together with generic sustained synth vox chords. perhaps a few new age samples sprinkled in for good measure. need a video? just smoke a joint and spend your night gathering random bullshit from youtube. guess what? now you're a fucking genius.

i think it's cool that nowadays you don't have to be good at synthesis, you can just use general midi. and instead of composition chops you can just do like this: fast, unimaginative arpeggio here, followed by wacky chopped up late 90s vox here, followed by more general midi nooding, and have everything tied together with generic sustained synth vox chords. perhaps a few new age samples sprinkled in for good measure. need a video? just smoke a joint and spend your night gathering random bullshit from youtube. guess what? now you're a fucking genius.

lol alco i <3 u

i still really like this album tho w/e

why does Warp suddenly start to release experimental ambient that probably won't sell shit?

the joy of topping a BBC radio chart only to find out you're still ranked below V/A - Clubland

QQYGcFP.jpg

i don't like this album

That's perfectly fine.

but you erased all the points he provided, good work. this album, with all of the conceptual hot air and near-unanimous accolades, warrants some sort of realistic, critical discussion. simply "i don't/like this" is a fucking yawn, lets DISCUSS

regarding the album, it's interesting that he uses (in the liner notes) prose that recalls writings of john cage, with possible references to morton feldman, "coptic light," etc.. but this extra information only clouds the way i think about the record. r+7 often sounds one-dimensional, for definite reasons. sure, it's new and shiny, colorful, dynamic and varied, but it's all very dubious. still listening, however

Guest Gravity

i don't like this album

That's perfectly fine.

but you erased all the points he provided, good work. this album, with all of the conceptual hot air and near-unanimous accolades, warrants some sort of realistic, critical discussion. simply "i don't/like this" is a fucking yawn, lets DISCUSS

regarding the album, it's interesting that he uses (in the liner notes) prose that recalls writings of john cage, with possible references to morton feldman, "coptic light," etc.. but this extra information only clouds the way i think about the record. r+7 often sounds one-dimensional, for definite reasons. sure, it's new and shiny, colorful, dynamic and varied, but it's all very dubious. still listening, however

But he's already stated multiple times that he thinks the album is shit, what's the point of going on and on about it and stating how every little good thing about the album is garbage? It's nothing personal at all, I just don't see the point. The guy's obviously talented.

This forum is called music discussion. please don't post here if you're not interested in discussion. if repetition bothers you I'm certain there are like 900 posts in this thread praising the album before it even came out. nice try.

Guest Gravity

Whatevs, no big deal, it's all subjective so I guess there's really no point in my comments on comments anyway.

let's hug

is Eccojams actually made from music from Ecco? I might have to check that out

it's not

sorta like seapunk isn't punk and isn't about the sea :/

I suppose Eccojams wasn't just a proto-vaporwave album but probably spurred on the seapunk fad meme "scene"

Guest Gravity

it's not

I suppose Eccojams wasn't just a proto-vaporwave album but probably spurred on the seapunk fad meme "scene"

Yeah it's just fun slowed down/edited loops of old songs, I dig it though. The full thing is up on youtube if you search for it usagi.

The track in the video above is from this:

Guest cult fiction

it's not

Seapunk has a ton to do with the sea, lots of wet reverb-y synths, dolphins, Coral records, etc.

It also adopts some of the ethos of punk in a semi-ironic fashion.

\

it's not

Seapunk has a ton to do with the sea, lots of wet reverb-y synths, dolphins, Coral records, etc.

It also adopts some of the ethos of punk in a semi-ironic fashion.

No you're right, just being overly-snarky. I really like Ultrademon too and get the aesthetic appeal (I grew up with super-soakers, Christian Riese Lassen paintings, this Sonic Level, trips to Seaworld, neon pool toys, etc like most others my age)

I love his pre-Replica work. I was somewhat disappointed with Replica and not vibing with this new one at all. It sounds like different parts thrown together, haphazardly, for the most part (i.e. Americans). I don't need to break it down. The music and the concepts behind the album sound way pretentious. I think Alcofribas touched on this a few pages ago?

it's not

Yeah it's just fun slowed down/edited loops of old songs, I dig it though. The full thing is up on youtube if you search for it usagi.

The track in the video above is from this:

Shallow Rewards, the vimeo channel of Chris Ott (most know it from the critical beatdown he gave over Disintegration Loops than mentioned Eccojams), was shut down randomly a month ago. He also suspended his twitter account for weeks and deleted his tumblr and most of his home page's content. All of it gone...with the exception being a mp3 of the JoJo song and the word "it's just disrespectful dave"

:emotawesomepm9:

Guest cult fiction

I think the sound palette in this album is mostly very tasteful and beautiful - it gets a bit much when the trumpets or banjos come in, but other than that, the vox, organ, etc. sounds are very pleasing.

That said, I have listened through about 3 times very attentively, and a handful non-attentively, and I think I'm done this album. There isn't a lot to it.

That said, I have listened through about 3 times very attentively, and a handful non-attentively, and I think I'm done this album. There isn't a lot to it.

I'll return to it, but I think you are correct.

I dunno, this whole discussion, especially over the impenetrable intellectual behemoth that's assigned to this album, has made me really re-asses my preferences when it comes to tracing influences and origins of sound and aesthetics behind an album. I love trainspotting samples. Likewise I love being completely mystified by samples and sounds as well: my sweet spot lately are hearing sounds that just feel familiar but have no clear connection to anything I know immediately. That's what drew me to OPN in the first place. That's why I and many others still browse through vaporwave and have discussions about artists with (arguably) a hauntology ethos. His in particular draws from an era (late 80s/early 90s) I can relate too. He achieves that here, but the context of this record is so cryptic and intellectual that it's a killjoy for me to even acknowledge it. In fact, I regret not simply asking him of his opinion on hauntology with regard to his music in the AMA (he answered the bit about plunderphonics at least)

It's Lopatin's right to frame R Plus Seven as he wants. He does have moments of frank answers, but not often enough for me to stay engaged in that aspect. Instead it's re-affirming the fact that I'm listening to it because I simply enjoy it. I don't want to overthink it. OPN as a project is more oft than not too esoteric for me, and what's far worse is all of these media outlets and "journalists" trying to outdo each other is analyzing and deciphering this album. That's why I feel compelled to compare it to Tomorrow's Harvest: there's a plethora of analyzing and deciphering there too, but it's fun. It still engages directly to the fans. There's the same ethos there as there is other sample-based pop, whether it be plunderphonics or turntablism or mash-up DJing. OPN's work on Replica is hardly a step away from say, VHS Head or hell even Washed Out (his first EP was pretty much Eccojam-esque loops + Ableton drums + some chill vocals). There's a plethora of ambient and drone artists making equally good music. To me OPN is another discovery in my search for intriguing and beautiful music. I won't put it on a pedestal just because I'm told I should. So yeah, I completely get why many are so turned off by all the hooplah surrounding this album.

Archived