IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mesh gear: I'm glad you checked him out and recognize his awesomeness. larson is pretty amazing. it's a shame there's like zero information about him on the net but at the same time it's kinda cool that he's such an underground dude.

imo it's obvious that opn took some cues from larson's late 80s work and I think the comparison is significant but I also realize r+7 is it's own thing. I do think the influence is significant enough to discount the whole "new parameters" sentiment though. perhaps opn's originality is combanitory, putting together a variety of dated sounds and techniques in a new way which I suppose is where the vaporwave aspect of his work is located. but for me the overall vibe is not always greater than the sum of its parts and in particular the larson vibes and the extremely repetitive granular-glitchy sounds really hold the album down. like, does every fucking track have to have that glitchy sampling trope? this is my personal view, I totally understand that other people would not feel similarly.

I will say, however, that it's an objective fact that the writings/poetry-lyrics on his records are absolutely shit. they're either a total joke in which case it's not funny or this guy is literally wanking into my eyes. ffs.

If you like a particular artist, what difference does it make who that artist is/isn't into?

it interferes with a person's perception of their heroes as infallible gods.

If you like a particular artist, what difference does it make who that artist is/isn't into?

it interferes with a person's perception of their heroes as infallible gods.

it is true that after i read the Groove magazine interview with Sean Booth where he was acting super pissy after he drank too much coffee back in 1999 I continued to believe he was an infallible god until he dropped the opn reference in aaa

R Plus Seven is the best album of 2013.

screw u haterz.

lol i thought it was a rly nice album but i've hardly come back to it since the month or two after it was released. exai, now that's a candidate for best of 2013!

mesh gear: I'm glad you checked him out and recognize his awesomeness. larson is pretty amazing. it's a shame there's like zero information about him on the net but at the same time it's kinda cool that he's such an underground dude.

imo it's obvious that opn took some cues from larson's late 80s work and I think the comparison is significant but I also realize r+7 is it's own thing. I do think the influence is significant enough to discount the whole "new parameters" sentiment though. perhaps opn's originality is combanitory, putting together a variety of dated sounds and techniques in a new way which I suppose is where the vaporwave aspect of his work is located. but for me the overall vibe is not always greater than the sum of its parts and in particular the larson vibes and the extremely repetitive granular-glitchy sounds really hold the album down. like, does every fucking track have to have that glitchy sampling trope? this is my personal view, I totally understand that other people would not feel similarly.

I will say, however, that it's an objective fact that the writings/poetry-lyrics on his records are absolutely shit. they're either a total joke in which case it's not funny or this guy is literally wanking into my eyes. ffs.

fair points and in general I agree. i also don't think that in this case music being handed a ton of parameters is accurate either. I think for every time someone thinks that, there's someone who has had the same ideas before but perhaps in a different context. maybe coincidence or they really were influenced, I would like to know the answer in this case at least.

i do like that phrase though...in my own experience i think actress handed my musical projects a ton of new parameters in terms of being experimental and catchy. not saying I'm setting out to copy him I just think it gave me a better feel for appropriating experimental sounds into beats (I can hear john cringing right now).

if you people know of any other artists I might like based on what I described, I'm all ears (...eyes)

PH2009111204436.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bitroast

hesitation marks is such a great album.

seeing OPN open for NIN would be fucking unreal. not that I can really comment or complain or anything. NIN + Queens of the Stones Age played Australia earlier this year and I didn't go because I am a dickhead and I thought maybe not going to NIN concert would be a good idea (in hindsight I think it was a bad idea).

I was at the Tinley Park show last night: I quite liked it. My only beef was that the OPN act was too short, in my opinion. It was under 30 minutes. Is that standard for opening acts at a big concert show like this? I don't go to many of those kind of events, so I'm not sure how normal that is. In any case, I like the direction of the pieces he played there, and I hope that there are releases in that vein soon via Warp. The visuals were great, too.

But here's the thing: someone on Warp's facebook page remarked that Trent might be overestimating his audience a bit. That was correct. Most of the people sitting near me (in the lawn, way in the back) were incapable of appreciating what OPN was all about. They called him a "DJ" for one thing, and I guess they were expecting some Skrillex type stuff. They were only interested in drinking their shitty beer from plastic cups and doing air guitar along with Soundgarden or singing along with Trent about animalistic sexual congress. For the most part, OPN was too weird for that group. I was probably one out of 2 per 100 people in my vicinity (perhaps a representative sample of the crowd composition at this point of the show) who applauded. But I wouldn't say that the OPN show wasn't successful: perhaps the aim was to confront people and put them outside of their comfort zones. If so, then it worked. The thing is, the tunes he played weren't entirely cerebral--there was some serious emotion in all three acts (that's what I gleaned from the set, that there were three main acts in the show). The first act especially seemed appropriate for fellow NIN fans. It's not like Trent's music is entirely conventional, or that his visuals have not been electronic, strobe-y, or disconcerting. So I can totally see the thinking behind this combination (and I genuinely appreciated it), but I guess people only want what they're used to.

In summary, I bought a sweet OPN t-shirt (I was hoping they would have the slime-logo one, and they did), and I got to enjoy 23 minutes of great OPN music, endured a tolerable Soundgarden show (Cornell seemed sloshed), and was pleasantly surprised by a well-choreographed NIN show. I would recommend it, if you can attend.

apriorion, did he play a lot of new material? I though he tweeted something about a new song for the show....

saw him in DC on the Rplus7 show and it was awesome... i would kill for that tour tshirt.

As far as I could discern, it was all new material. The middle act had visuals that were similar to the video for "Problem Areas", but even that was importantly different. I thought I spotted a few sounds that were r+7ish, but the general composition was more drone/distortion chord-heavy, less choppage. The way that the act seemed to go was like this:

1st act: rhythmic, loud bass line leading into some organ & distortion chords (visuals were a stutter-y cyber-hand with phosphorescent steam coming out of its palm, which transitioned into a strobing positive/negative collage of some recognizable shapes mixed into some strange textures. On the right hand side was the alternating letters "O", "P", "N" from that new logo (which annoying everyone likens to the korn logo), which transitioned into the subliminal ad flash from the "Still life excerpt" video).

2nd act: slightly more r+7 style music, but not anything I recognized from the released recordings (visuals were CG rooms with objects like chairs that would occasionally spazz out, or look like they were turing into road flares, then the frame would scroll upward and it would be a different image of a disembodied hand on a table with a clear sphere next to it, and that would scroll up... pretty oddly nightmarish, like being in a 4-d trap).

3rd act: shift to more contemplative, Vangelis-style chords. If anything, this reminded me of "Describing Bodies" or "Stress Waves", which I'm very happy about--I personally prefer that sort of music to the r+7 stuff (which I also like, just to be clear). (visuals were slideshows of still images of museum-type objects which may or may not have been CG. I couldn't tell.)

Sounds awesome.

On the right hand side was the alternating letters "O", "P", "N" from that new logo (which annoying everyone likens to the korn logo)

Are you annoyed because they are from the Korn logo, or are you annoyed because everyone thinks they are? Cause I thought they were ripped directly from their logo.

Archived