IGNORED

New Autechre EP - L Event

kiya

Just rang up my local record store, and they put me a 12" aside. Gonna stroll in there tomorrow and hand over some hard cash.

They also sell really good coffee, and will hopefully have some other cool stuff too.

Much more satisfying than ordering from blerp!

Ok so I spent a good while last night trying to wrap my head around this release. Late to the game, but whatever.

Firstly, great vinyl pressing, cannot fault that. It is also great that it fits inside the Exai vinyl box.

Musically, I can understand why some people initially did not like Osla for N, the coughing beat is a bit grating but IMO it works, especially at the track breaks down towards the end.

I actually really like Newbound, a distinctive melody and some crushing beats, kinda nightmare-ish vibes from this one.

Tac Lacora is a great opener and the much celebrated "silent moment" really hits home hard - silence in a busy track always sounds great.

Probably more thoughts later as it starts to sink in.

Overall I like it, glad they got back to making a shorter (more concise) EP again. Hope they follow it up with another EP someday.

It's 4/4 all the way through (check the hihats) but the snare is just syncopated as fuck. I think the bassdrums are even the same all the way through.

Edited by modey

It's 4/4 all the way through (check the hihats) but the snare is just syncopated as fuck. I think the bassdrums are even the same all the way through.

Man I was just hoping they were writing in something other than 4/4 for a change, oh well.

I can imagine way more "conventional-sounding" rhythms that are in different time signatures, like cichli (5/4). This track is way harder to grok than cichli.

The way it sounds rhythmically doesn't ultimately depend on what time signature you represent it in, it's just a convention that helps with communication.

Guest Tom Servo

I can imagine way more "conventional-sounding" rhythms that are in different time signatures, like cichli (5/4). This track is way harder to grok than cichli.

The way it sounds rhythmically doesn't ultimately depend on what time signature you represent it in, it's just a convention that helps with communication.

Way harder than that. They've done a few oddball time signatures ("Characi" is in 13/8), but this is the hardest one to pin down.

Way harder than that. They've done a few oddball time signatures ("Characi" is in 13/8), but this is the hardest one to pin down.
It was really fucked at first for me, but now I can grasp the rhythm within seconds, somehow!

Man I was just hoping they were writing in something other than 4/4 for a change, oh well.

No I know, I was just thinking, I don't know. Don't really care about time sigs and what not as long as the good music's there. It was just a thought. Since they're so good at manipulating 4/4 and making it sound nothing like conventional common time that I wonder how/what they would/could do with other tim sigs. Btw Cichli's my favorite ae track ever.

Yeah, they sure have a knack for some serious syncopation/funk. Some of their drum patterns are so expressive, that I'm like, "god DAMN" or something, zole.

I don't even try to grasp the rhythm most of the time with their more complex tracks, I just let it take me. am I doing it wrong?

yeah, at first I sometimes have no idea about what's going on, and then suddenly it all clicks. I was ridiculously amazed when I realised that Gantz Graf actually is a pretty straight 4/4 beat just fucked to oblivion.

I think perhaps one of the compilation tracks?

That said, everyone is so quick to throw around odd time signature accusations when a lot of their stuff is in 4/4.. just sayin'