IGNORED

New Autechre EP - L Event

kiya

Guest Rulohead32

guys the best way to listen to the chre is while youre jacked into cyberspace, melting ice with a 10yr old deck

you guys just dont even know that do you

also you should try listening to it sideways

think about a math equation, then dont think about it

the track titles only reveal themselves if you make autism beats yourself or if you load the titles into an octatrack and unremix them to see what they mean

sean and rob have mindmelded so that if one of them dies the other can ressurect or find his naked body on genesis

Hmmm...

Legit

Totally in love with the ep. tac Lacora is my fav atm. newbound the least fav, but overall really impressive! I think it is even better compared to Exai.

Running this ep ever since the pre-order wav's were released. Completely in love with the production. It sounds just awesome. Really not from this world.

I also like the the strange snare/clap/voice being heavily processed and taking almost all the space in Osla for n. Really glad this weird sound is lasting the whole track.

One downside, it is too short!!! This material is really album material.

-exm-

Guest RandySicko

Olsa was extremely boring at first but listening through headphones sort of "unlocked" it for me... something about when those mechanical sounding pads come in, especially at just before the 5 minute mark. It really solidifies the vibe of the entire piece. I mean yeah, it's still kinda drawn out but I feel it matches with what their trying to do with it... but no shit, I guess.

Newbound sounds cheesy when it starts but almost as if it was done on purpose for the listener to focus on how it matures as time progresses towards the end of the song. Matures in literal the sense of not sounding so childish.

Tac Lacora and M39 might as well be 2 parts of the same piece. Not in a bad way though. They're freakin nasty.

All in all, the whole EP seems really dark and cavernous ...like it was created out in space while watching a star collapse on itself. Not as "fun" as exai. May nestle right behind Envane as favorite EP.

i'm constantly getting ambivalent images and feelings of Oblivion while listening to newbound.

Day time, nice weather, high tech, future, beauty of the sky... but underneath all of that everything is fakt up, sad story, melancholia... it hits me hard every time...

Oblivion-Clouds.jpg

oblivion-movie-image_3jpg.jpg

oblivion-movie-trailer-hydro-rigs.jpg

For a 4-tracker it's really neatly structured like 4 sections of a single composition, there's the intro and there's the ending. They've become a bit predictable on ending though, since Quaristice it follows a very same-ish pattern of heavy and prolonged reverberation and archetypical stuff like that

The end of 1 neatly evolves into 2 and the ending of 4 is just a sudden stop...so...euhhh, it is kinda different. Not anything i haven't heard though. Great progress on this ep. It just fits!

-exm-

srsly I don't at all get how one would listen to the EP and not be captivated by Osla for n....

weirdest ae track in ages, isn't this what you guys wanna? i kno you wanaa

Edited by Guest

Guest Rulohead32

srsly I don't at all get how one would listen to the EP and not be captivated by Osla for n....

tumblr_mh9g4djlPp1qa03y5o2_r1_400.gif

yeah, I'm enjoying it. I can't quite pinpoint the moment where I start to understand the beat; it just seems to unfold gradually and all of a sudden I find myself tapping along to it.

if that's the 3rd track, then no. personally not feeling it.

love love love m39 though

The FFT-processed drum sounds after the pause in tac Lacora make my head feel funny (in a good way).. like some kind of ASMR thing or something?

i was wondering what it was as well, don't know what asmr is. Sounds like some kind of spectral effect. Almost like a smearing effect that isn't extending the time of the whole sound. Whatever the case is AE are the absolute kings at mixing/engineering/eqing/compressing weird fucking sounds to make them sound really thick full and sonically pleasing.

To me this is the pervading genius to AE that keeps me listening. Taking a total stab in the dark some of these individual sounds sound like they've had very careful/surgical manual multiband compression done to them, almost like they've extended out 4 different frequency bands to their own channel on a mixer, and put a compressor on each one. Like a form of crazy parallel multiband compression. With a normal musician i'd guess they're just stacking a bunch of different samples, but with AE it sounds much more deceptively simple at least on the surface

I think it would be really interesting and extremely challenging to have a contest on watmm where the goal is to reverse engineer at least in part an aspect of a more recent Autechre song. Watmmer's can take an honest vote for all the submissions. The techniques could be hidden until a winner is chosen and then people could choose to discuss how they achieved the sound or whatever.

edit2: it would be cool if this contest were to happen, sounds/songs are chosen that don't necessarily have mysterious techniques, but it would be difficult to say for the average music producer (even a good one) to make a beat, throw it through a comb filter and make it sound as slamming and as clean/pleasurable as the one in tac Lacora . On the surface that song, at least that first part sounds not too mysterious as to how it was made. The 2nd half of that track would be more of a case of 'reverse engineer the mystery' , first half of the song the theme could be 'make this glitchy technique sound even close to as good as AE'

Edited by John Ehrlichman

By ASMR I was referring to the feeling in my head, zole:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response

I think that effect is rather easy to achieve with the right plugins. There are quite a few spectral/FFT plugins for Buzz that can achieve a very similar effect. I think one was called Neptune; I used it on most of my tracks from 2002 until around 2004.

I'd be up for reverse engineering ae tracks. I'm sure it's harder than it sounds but I could probably crack Fleure.

interesting, never heard of the asmr phenomenon , anyways check out all the ranting i just added to my post above. I think tac Lacora would be a perfect track to have a reverse engineer contest with. The first half to alot of watmmers might seem 'easy' in theory, but the 2nd half goes into deep spectral processing territory that would be a llot more tricky.

i have no complaints and i enjoy every track

I love it, yeah it's got more challenging elements but that's all part of the enjoyment tbh.

Exai, beast

L-event, minibeast

not listening to this ep anymore...faks with my head! every time after listening for it i have to wash the weirdness and sickness with yjy ux or sublimit

I can almost entirely relate to this post, except for the part of not listening anymore. It does fak with the head. And after a couple of repeated listens my mind craves for miley cyrus. Not sure why, but it might have something to do with skimpy outfits and shaking buts.

interesting, never heard of the asmr phenomenon , anyways check out all the ranting i just added to my post above. I think tac Lacora would be a perfect track to have a reverse engineer contest with. The first half to alot of watmmers might seem 'easy' in theory, but the 2nd half goes into deep spectral processing territory that would be a llot more tricky.

Yeah I wouldn't even know where to start with tac Lacora!