IGNORED

Aleksi Perälä - The Colundi Sequence

Herr Jan

Btw, 'someone' is selling their wire recording of Level 8. Of course with a nice discogs price, $400,-

http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/286403902?text=Aleksi-Per%C3%A4l%C3%A4-The-Colundi-Sequence-Level-8&format=Cylinder

Limited to just 10 copies this is probably one of the rarest braindance releases ever, even Aleksi doesn't have one (he told me at the gig) so this might be the only opportunity!

I need to spend some more time with 15, but I think it is already one of my favourites from the recent levels. Before now it was 10 and 13. Level 14 hasn't inspired me as much as other levels for some reason...it's still great though.

Also got an email asking for payment for colundi t-shirt and allentide CD. Well pleased I was lucky enough to get them after missing out on the brainbarndance.

Wait, weren't these meant to be kept secret and revealed only to those that donated a bajillion dollar to the kickstarter -

aleksi-perala-colundi-numbers.jpg

EDIT: Ah actually is that just the frequencies for equal temperament ?

Not sure what to make of that interview, really can't tell if it's just Rephlex shenanigans. I hope so, cos stuff likes reads a little nutty !

Perälä says there are plans to publish the full sequence, but not yet. "It's so potent that you have to be careful of it. Because we are right at the beginning of it still. But Colundi will take care of that. It takes care of me talking to you now."

Whether it's shenanigans or not, it certainly makes for something more interesting than the norm...both the music and everything that surrounds it. I hope the article leads even more people to dip their toes into the colundi waters.

P.S. Thanks for posting the article Herr Jan. This thread gets a couple of mentions.

Edited by RickDastardly

I always like the most recent one more than the previous ones, but listening back to the earlier ones I've come to the realisation that this probably largely down to novelty, the old ones are all just as good.

track 10 is wonderful

Not sure what to make of that interview, really can't tell if it's just Rephlex shenanigans. I hope so, cos stuff likes reads a little nutty !

Perälä says there are plans to publish the full sequence, but not yet. "It's so potent that you have to be careful of it. Because we are right at the beginning of it still. But Colundi will take care of that. It takes care of me talking to you now."

I hung around with Aleksi the day after a gig many years ago, we were getting drunk and stoned all day, playing each other music, and nothing he said in that interview sounds particularly out of character (though that was the only time I've met him). He may be playing up on certain bits for effect, but I think he's being pretty genuine.

Whether it's shenanigans or not, it certainly makes for something more interesting than the norm...

absolutely

Releasing music is also about how to represent your product.

I thinks this statement from Christian Löffler fits nicely:

“I feel as if the majority of the music which is being released today lost its identity. Often it’s music that has a half-life period of 3 to 6 months. I fear that this development, in combination with the amount of tracks being released today, creates this obscure feel for music being a disposable item." http://housecult.com/interviews/interview-christian-loffler-ki-records-majority-music-released-today-lost-identity/

Beside that l always loved rephlexian shenanigans, more please :wink:

Only took about FIFTEEN albums but the colundi sequence is finally getting some well deserved press. Interview with Aleksi on RA:

Perälä was keen to share his discoveries, demonstrating on his site how he constructed a series of equal temperament scales, dividing the octave into an increasing number of equally spaced steps.

Sorry to be that guy, but I'd be able to take all the Colundi-talk more seriously if AP actually understood how equal temperament works.

Only took about FIFTEEN albums but the colundi sequence is finally getting some well deserved press. Interview with Aleksi on RA:

Perälä was keen to share his discoveries, demonstrating on his site how he constructed a series of equal temperament scales, dividing the octave into an increasing number of equally spaced steps.

Sorry to be that guy, but I'd be able to take all the Colundi-talk more seriously if AP actually understood how equal temperament works.

what do you mean exactly?

Perälä was keen to share his discoveries, demonstrating on his site how he constructed a series of equal temperament scales, dividing the octave into an increasing number of equally spaced steps

That's quite an arrogant statement. Explain?

Apart from the first one, those scales on his site aren't equal temperament. Equal temperament means that the ratios between any two successive frequencies are the same. So e.g. 2TET would have frequencies 33, 33*sqrt(2), 66, 66*sqrt(2) and so on. In general an nTET scale has frequencies of the form f*2^(p/n) with fixed f and integer p. The scales Aleksi gives have frequencies of the form f*2^q*(1 + p/n) with fixed f, integer q and integer p in [0, n).

That's quite an arrogant statement.

Yes, my pedantry got the better of me. Sorry.

Apart from the first one, those scales on his site aren't equal temperament. Equal temperament means that the ratios between any two successive frequencies are the same. So e.g. 2TET would have frequencies 33, 33*sqrt(2), 66, 66*sqrt(2) and so on. In general an nTET scale has frequencies of the form f*2^(p/n) with fixed f and integer p. The scales Aleksi gives have frequencies of the form f*2^q*(1 + p/n) with fixed f, integer q and integer p in [0, n).

That's quite an arrogant statement.

Yes, my pedantry got the better of me. Sorry.

Np, was just curious if you could back it up. Loud and clear now, thanks!

That said, consider the possibilty that calling that specific sequence equal temperament might be an error of the journalist. I mean, AP studied the theory for years so I doubt he wouldn't be aware of this? Or were there any direct quotes by AP you had in mind?

That said, consider the possibilty that calling that specific sequence equal temperament might be an error of the journalist. I mean, AP studied the theory for years so I doubt he wouldn't be aware of this? Or were there any direct quotes by AP you had in mind?

It describes them as equal temperament on the Ovuca site.

My dickishness aside though, Aleksi's scales sound much better than their ET equivalents.

Aleksi's scales sound much better than their ET equivalents.

I really need to spend time setting some .tun files with all the frequencies provided by Aleksi on ovuca.com and on RA. I'd love to experiment with those scales.

Edited by Nil

so...anyone figured out the relationships between the freqs in the colundi site yet? or what the heck maybe going on there ?

grant has posted sets of frequencies on fb, no? or just this one set? if theres any more freqs/rants, Id like to seee!!!! Im not fkn getting into fb. thanks

Edited by rekosn

• 1 month later...

It's seems quiet in the colundi camp lately and that's not bad at all because now I've got some time to let these sink in a bit. Recent faves are the Allentide CD tracks and this one:

Anyway, now that the fundraiser has been succesful and Level 9 is on its way (apparently), I wonder if non-fundraisers will get a chance at grabbing Level 9 too... The Allentide CD was already way too exclusive for my taste (read: I missed out on it so it's too exclusive :dadjoke: )