IGNORED

Burial - Rival Dealer

bubbhasdance

This doesn't sound like burial to me. it sounds like someone taking unreleased/unfinished burial tracks and remixing them. Also, the fact that some of the samples were already used on previous releases makes me skeptical of the identity of Rival Dealer's creator. Only listened once so maybe it'll grow on me, but props for the Jimi Hendrix sample on Hiders

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Satisfying? I'm not sure what your investment in all of this is.

Call me crazy, but when I don't like an artist, even an overhyped one that gets, what I believe to be, unfounded praise... I just go own with my life. It really affects me in no absolute way what so ever... You've stated many times before that you don't like Burial... What compelled you to even listen to this release anyways? It's so incredibly easy to filter out stuff these days, it seems like youd have to actively attempt to listen to stuff you don't like, and that makes no sense to me.

i think it's for the same reason i was happy to see the Obama honeymoon over, Burial's musical appreciation goes against my principals as a human being. Of course not as intensely, its just a similar phenomenon. It genuinely makes me happy to witness. I liked Burial's last two eps actually. What compelled me to listen to it? When i saw the first reactions of people being shocked, disappointed, confused and even horrified i was like 'woah whats going on here, i gotta check this out'.

lol

Love it, it's Christmas and this is so much fun. I doubt I'll come back to it as much as his other releases but at the moment this is making me happy and I don't care.

This doesn't sound like burial to me. it sounds like someone taking unreleased/unfinished burial tracks and remixing them. Also, the fact that some of the samples were already used on previous releases makes me skeptical of the identity of Rival Dealer's creator. Only listened once so maybe it'll grow on me, but props for the Jimi Hendrix sample on Hiders

He's always been re-using samples.

BBC Radio 6 Music ‏@BBC6Music

#Nowplaying brand new Burial. "I want these to be anti bullying tunes. Its an angel spell to protect against unkind people + self doubt"

Those are Burial's own words he gave to the presenter to describe his EP btw.

I have no doubt about the sincerity of Burial in his own music. It's obvious it's straight from the heart, even if it often does have this naive quality about it. That's great, it's a good thing! The best way to make music in fact. However, sincerity alone doesn't make great music. If it did, D4NNY would be on all your playlists (the vocals in general actually reminds me of him actually, which might be why I'm having a problem dealing with them, heh)

Really enjoying the title tune from Rival Dealer though.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

I just listened to this for the first time. there were some unusually cheesy moments for sure, but it still sent shivers down my spine and made my eyes well up, so it's all good. this was probably his most feminine-sounding release yet. maybe the next one will be some masculine dancefloor thing a la south london boroughs to balance things out.

http://www.factmag.com/2013/12/14/burial-opens-up-a-little-about-new-ep-rival-dealer/

On Mary Anne Hobbs‘ latest BBC 6 Music show, she shares a brief message from Burial about the producer’s new EP, Rival Dealer.

Released this week, Rival Dealer hasn’t only proved to be Burial’s most divisive release in years, it’s also one of his most conceptually interesting, with samples (most notably the EP’s closing speech by Lana Wachowski) referring to issues of sexuality, transformation and acceptance. In a text from Burial that Hobbs shares on the show, he explains that “I put my heart into the new EP, I hope someone likes it. I wanted the tunes to be anti-bullying tunes that could maybe help someone to believe in themselves, to not be afraid, and to not give up, and to know that someone out there cares and is looking out for them.”

Hobbs then adds, “it’s like an angel’s spell to protect them against the unkind people, the dark times, and the self-doubts.” You canlisten to Rival Dealer here, listen to Hobbs’ show here, and read our review of the record here.

Satisfying? I'm not sure what your investment in all of this is.

Call me crazy, but when I don't like an artist, even an overhyped one that gets, what I believe to be, unfounded praise... I just go own with my life. It really affects me in no absolute way what so ever... You've stated many times before that you don't like Burial... What compelled you to even listen to this release anyways? It's so incredibly easy to filter out stuff these days, it seems like youd have to actively attempt to listen to stuff you don't like, and that makes no sense to me.

i think it's for the same reason i was happy to see the Obama honeymoon over, Burial's musical appreciation goes against my principals as a human being. Of course not as intensely, its just a similar phenomenon. It genuinely makes me happy to witness. I liked Burial's last two eps actually. What compelled me to listen to it? When i saw the first reactions of people being shocked, disappointed, confused and even horrified i was like 'woah whats going on here, i gotta check this out'.

What the fuck are you on about? You liked his last two EPs, but it goes against your principles as a human being? And still you enjoy watching people being thrown and excited by a new direction by him?

What I got from the Obama comparison was, maybe the principle at play here is that no-one should be elevated to the sort of good guy status where they can do no wrong or at least get away with a lot more than someone else. Maybe he's not gloating but just glad to see some healthy criticism of this guy's work.

yeah, i was being hyperbolic as fuck and kinda trolling but the part about me being happy that people are finally being critical of his work on a mass scale is much needed, and it's needed for any artist elevated to such a status.

Seriouth contender for aoty for me. Makes exai look silly, dussn' it?

edit: just ignore me I'm being inflammatory.

Maybe one day I'll understand burial and the true feels

Burial just does something for me. *shrugs*

Archived