IGNORED

The Caustic Window LP (CAT023) Kickstarter FAQ - LIVE NOW!

Joyrex

Haven't posted in a while. Just came to say that this whole arrangement seems odd and totally wrong

Sure, it's great that we'll finally get to hear something (kind of) new, from one of my favorite artists but the situation doesn't reflect well on Rephlex/RDJ at all

I appreciate all the effort Joyrex has put into this and the enthusiasm that you guys have for it is infectious but taking a step back from my fanboyism for a minute, the idea that some opportunist is going to bag £5000 out of it and a record label are too lazy to release their own music and feel it's OK for fans to go through such a convoluted, expensive and awkward process to hear something is silly.

yeah but.

richard pls

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question. It's now unlimited to the amount of people which is great.

But say we get 1000 people pitching in £10. When it comes to be sold on eBay afterwards no one individual is going to pay £10,000. So isnt it going to be a loss this way?

P.s my phone sucks

yeah, basically the more people that get involved, the less money per investor that will be returned from the sale of the item in the auction. At this point does it matter though, the main point was getting the release to all that wanted it.

I'm thinking at this point since as it was mentioned, the return per-backer could be so small, it might not be worth the effort to try and refund the money - I'm thinking just chuck that bit towards charity (or to cover distribution costs - things are starting to look scary in terms of bandwidth costs of what it will take to deliver FLAC or WAV downloads to 1000+ people).

That, and Kickstarter actually doesn't allow financial rewards like that (I've had to remove that language as well as the chartiy aspect from the Kickstarter for the approval process).

I was going to say this earlier but I left it thinking it would make things more complicated to organise (giving each individual a choice whether they want to send their share to charity or refunding every bank account individually)

Really, we just need a place to store the money and give updates etc... I'm sure we all trust you enough to keep tabs on the fund.

haha

What's funny? Me offering a hand if it's needed, the expectation of a suitable ripping chain for a job like this, my standards for what a suitable chain would be, or something else?

But say we get 1000 people pitching in £10. When it comes to be sold on eBay afterwards no one individual is going to pay £10,000. So isnt it going to be a loss this way?

P.s my phone sucks

yeah, basically the more people that get involved, the less money per investor that will be returned from the sale of the item in the auction. At this point does it matter though, the main point was getting the release to all that wanted it.

I'm thinking at this point since as it was mentioned, the return per-backer could be so small, it might not be worth the effort to try and refund the money - I'm thinking just chuck that bit towards charity (or to cover distribution costs - things are starting to look scary in terms of bandwidth costs of what it will take to deliver FLAC or WAV downloads to 1000+ people).

That, and Kickstarter actually doesn't allow financial rewards like that (I've had to remove that language as well as the chartiy aspect from the Kickstarter for the approval process).

But what about the aspect of, we as the collective buy it for £10,000 because we're getting over excited and carried away. Then you sell it on ebay for £5000 or less (because everyone has it on mp3 now) someone is set to grab a bargin if the resale won't take off. And rephlex/Richard get less in the process.

Just a thought.

(get that kickstarter up) :D

haha

What's funny? Me offering a hand if it's needed, the expectation of a suitable ripping chain for a job like this, my standards for what a suitable chain would be, or something else?

I'd like your opinion on why you think the equipment mentioned isn't adequate...

P.s my phone sucks

But what about the aspect of, we as the collective buy it for £10,000 because we're getting over excited and carried away. Then you sell it on ebay for £5000 or less (because everyone has it on mp3 now) someone is set to grab a bargin if the resale won't take off. And rephlex/Richard get less in the process.

Just a thought.

No, the Ebay auction happens before anyone gets a download - I don't want that taking the wind out of the sails of the auction. Auction is like a week max, so I am sure we'll have plenty of interest, and we'd almost certainly have a reserve set - this is not going for pennies on the dollar, considering it's physical rarity.

P.s my phone sucks

Just a thought.

No, the Ebay auction happens before anyone gets a download - I don't want that taking the wind out of the sails of the auction. Auction is like a week max, so I am sure we'll have plenty of interest, and we'd almost certainly have a reserve set - this is not going for pennies on the dollar, considering it's physical rarity.

Ah. Thats cool then.

Ha. This just popped up on xlr8r.

"which appears to feature frequent collaborators Mike Paradinas and Cylob, among others"

Technically not inaccurate. Lol.

Geez, doesn't anyone read anymore? Fucking LOL.

Don't worry, it won't happen today. In fact, I would put good money on it happening this weekend as the launch date (if all goes well), so everyone will have a shot at it (of course, WATMMers will get notified first - working the logistics of that out right now).

Don't worry, it won't happen today. In fact, I would put good money on it happening this weekend as the launch date (if all goes well), so everyone will have a shot at it (of course, WATMMers will get notified first - working the logistics of that out right now).

cheers!

*jumps off hype train*

Edited by MIXL2

Subscribed.

How are the audio files going to be made?

One of our community members who has experience in ripping vinyl is going to do this, and will be producing a direct rip with no alterations to the tracks (aka post-software processing) using high-quality equipment.

The equipment we're tenatively planning on using is a Technics 1210Mk5G with Arkiv Ortofon stylus (that has been "burned in" for a good sound), and we are currently considering purchasing a MOTO Ultralite Mk3 audio interface for this, although this is all subject to change if we figure out a better combination of analogue and digital equipment - our goal is to provide the cleanest possible rip, and we will NOT being doing any sort of post-processing as not to dilute the inherant quality of the audio.

the turntable is adequate, but for the love of RDJ we must find better ripping equipment.

If someone is **considering** purchasing an external sound card for this rip, then we can most certainly find a better ripper and setup.

As a rule of thumb, let's ensure our ripping setup costs more than our record to be ripped.

I'd rather see VPI over Technics for the turntable, and Grado (or similar) over Ortofon for the cartridge. We need the cartridge to be properly aligned. We need a kickass preamp and a good soundcard.

Joyrex, I'm sure you have all of the resources you need, but feel free to reach out if you want to brainstorm on how to get the best signal chain possible.

Has anyone contacted pbthal?

Just needs a better cartridge and to give the record a good cleaning (anyone have a machine?), the rest of the setup sounds perfect.

How are the audio files going to be made?

One of our community members who has experience in ripping vinyl is going to do this, and will be producing a direct rip with no alterations to the tracks (aka post-software processing) using high-quality equipment.

The equipment we're tenatively planning on using is a Technics 1210Mk5G with Arkiv Ortofon stylus (that has been "burned in" for a good sound), and we are currently considering purchasing a MOTO Ultralite Mk3 audio interface for this, although this is all subject to change if we figure out a better combination of analogue and digital equipment - our goal is to provide the cleanest possible rip, and we will NOT being doing any sort of post-processing as not to dilute the inherant quality of the audio.

the turntable is adequate, but for the love of RDJ we must find better ripping equipment.

If someone is **considering** purchasing an external sound card for this rip, then we can most certainly find a better ripper and setup.

As a rule of thumb, let's ensure our ripping setup costs more than our record to be ripped.

I'd rather see VPI over Technics for the turntable, and Grado (or similar) over Ortofon for the cartridge. We need the cartridge to be properly aligned. We need a kickass preamp and a good soundcard.

Joyrex, I'm sure you have all of the resources you need, but feel free to reach out if you want to brainstorm on how to get the best signal chain possible.

Has anyone contacted pbthal?

Just needs a better cartridge and to give the record a good cleaning (anyone have a machine?), the rest of the setup sounds perfect.
That's a good point regards the vinyl itself, how has the vinyl been stored, has it ever been played etc... Edited by calx

"The Caustic Window LP is a legendary unreleased test pressing (only 4 5 known to exist)"

Missing the word "or" there in the parenthesis.

Vinyl is unplayed (from original discogs listing).

Is there any word on whether Kickstarter will allow those Visa giftcards? And am I correct in understanding that cards will only be charged after the ebay auction so as to figure the final charge (and not first charged and then refunded the auction rebate later)?

Edited by Claudius t Ansuulim

it depends on their billing verification procedure. A lot of online stores won't automatically let you use them because most online point of sales require a billing address that gets verified upon purchase. Its been years since I had one of those Visa pre-paid debit cards, but at the time there wasn't a way to input any kind of billing address, they seemed more designed for physical point of sale transactions that only require a signature.

who the fuck doesn't play an unreleased afx album??

Right? I don't believe that it's an unplayed 12" for one second.

Awesome move to go to an unlimited Kickstarter participation. Still have a question though. Other than the seller telling me via e-mail that they are "sold", still no official word on what happened AB5 and M.O.M. Do you have any information Joyrex ? Thanks