IGNORED

The Caustic Window LP (CAT023) Kickstarter FAQ - LIVE NOW!

Joyrex

Yeah... kinda stupid, really - why not just pay the 16.00 and get it?

Moral arguments aside, you can't really call it stupid. It's the smartest thing to do - why pay money for something when you can get it for free? That's the opposite of stupid. Whether it's the "right" thing to do, however, is a question of morals, not intelligence.

I see your point (and had that mindset at one time), but honestly, it's easier (in most cases) to pay for something legitimately instead of waiting until it's pirated (for me)...

The thing is though - Irrespective of if/when it gets ripped, the point is that people have contributed the $30k towards this. If I'm right in thinking that money is now for certain and they can't back out.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moral arguments aside, you can't really call it stupid. It's the smartest thing to do - why pay money for something when you can get it for free? That's the opposite of stupid. Whether it's the "right" thing to do, however, is a question of morals, not intelligence.

I see your point (and had that mindset at one time), but honestly, it's easier (in most cases) to pay for something legitimately instead of waiting until it's pirated (for me)...

The thing is though - Irrespective of if/when it gets ripped, the point is that people have contributed the $30k towards this. If I'm right in thinking that money is now for certain and they can't back out.

no, people can back out at any point up until the end of the kickstarter. once the end date and time has been reached though, that's it - no backing out.

I have to say, I'm very relieved by Joyrex's response regarding the excess funds as it was quite ambiguous as to whether all the (rapidly accumulating) kickstarter proceeds would go to the seller. Anyway, I think if I had a windfall of a million or so I would def give 100k to autechre and chris douglas to sort through their stuff and release all of it, so 10 quid is great in that respect (I'm very stupid with my money). Regardless, cheers Joyrex and watmm for engineering aaa and this. As a long time lurker... I've heard about some awesome music from your forums (my reason for lurking)!

moral arguments aside, why be truthful when you can lie.

Guest CoKlaComa

Perhaps this has been asked, not sure .. so please forgive me if it has ... but I rip a LOT of vinyl. Have a Technics 1200, a great cartridge and fancy my rips to be damn-near pristine... but would still not consider them to be on a professional level. with the possibility of how many backers this could get to, and the amount of money it could reach, why not instead pay a professional to create the files - or even with both Rephlex and RDJ on board, what about the orig master tapes that pressed that vinyl to begin with .. why can't we get a transfer of those?

Perhaps this has been asked, not sure .. so please forgive me if it has ... but I rip a LOT of vinyl. Have a Technics 1200, a great cartridge and fancy my rips to be damn-near pristine... but would still not consider them to be on a professional level. with the possibility of how many backers this could get to, and the amount of money it could reach, why not instead pay a professional to create the files - or even with both Rephlex and RDJ on board, what about the orig master tapes that pressed that vinyl to begin with .. why can't we get a transfer of those?

joyrex has that all sorted

you need to read the thread....

and the rules

Guest CoKlaComa

and the rules

read the rules, perhaps I missed something .. haven't time to scroll through 40 pages on this thread... thanks for the input. Anyone else wanna take a stab at it?

moral arguments aside, why be truthful when you can lie.

Because liars are bad :sad:

and the rules

read the rules, perhaps I missed something .. haven't time to scroll through 40 pages on this thread... thanks for the input. Anyone else wanna take a stab at it?

I'll take a stab at it!

Read the rules!

Lol don't worry Joyrex has it sorted.

Also

• photo-11039.jpg?_r=1396987898

Intelligence and morality are innately linked to one another. I think it extremely myopic to consider choosing to acquire something in a way that only enriches yourself as the "intelligent" choice.

Guest CoKlaComa

I'll take a stab at it!

Read the rules!

Lol don't worry Joyrex has it sorted.

ah, has been edited since last I read to state "considering hiring a professional audio engineer to do this, so stay tuned!" thanks for the help

Please don't waste the extra money on a physical release. We're all doing this for the MUSIC. Flac files will be fine. If you all want it on a disc, burn it to a disc and print up a nice cover with an A on it. Sit it on your shelf. I think the rest of the funds should go to charity or a partial refund for all backers. If RDJ wanted the money, he could've (and would've) released this himself.

Guest beringelab

Please don't waste the extra money on a physical release. We're all doing this for the MUSIC. Flac files will be fine. If you all want it on a disc, burn it to a disc and print up a nice cover with an A on it. Sit it on your shelf. I think the rest of the funds should go to charity or a partial refund for all backers. If RDJ wanted the money, he could've (and would've) released this himself.

I don't understand why a few people are starting to sweat the total amount raised, you're buying this because it's worth $16 to you to have new (old) unheard Aphex. Your enjoyment of this really shouldn't matter if this raises $9,300 or $9,300,000 in total as long the music is worth what you spent for it. With Drukqs, RDJ, ICBYD albums, we had no idea of the total $ made by the label, we just bought them because we loved the music and the price of the album was worth it to us.

I don't understand why a few people are starting to sweat the total amount raised, you're buying this because it's worth $16 to you to have new (old) unheard Aphex. Your enjoyment of this really shouldn't matter if this raises $9,300 or $9,300,000 in total as long the music is worth what you spent for it. With Drukqs, RDJ, ICBYD albums, we had no idea of the total $ made by the label, we just bought them because we loved the music and the price of the album was worth it to us.

Agreed. And the rest is gravy. As long as the terms of the Kickstarter are filled (rewards, i.e. digital download of the music) there is no further responsibility. In fact, Kickstarter does not even have protections if the person who runs the Kickstarter flees with the money and delivers nothing. It's all very carefully laid out to provide no risk to Kickstarter or the people who list. There are many cases of people running away with large sums of money or trying earnestly and failing to deliver what they said they would.

I am not saying any of this will happen here.

I am saying that backers are in no position to demand extras beyond the reward pledged, mentioned above.

There is plenty of time for people to pull their money out if they're not satisfied with that arrangement. Everything will go along without you. It doesn't seem like a terribly complicated business arrangement from the "backer" perspective on this one.

Joyrex i think your bandwidth concerns about delivering these files might be overblown. I could be wrong but I'm confident that if you made bandcamp download codes batches until you covered all the kickstarter contributors there wouldn't be an issue speed or download time if you did like 100 codes per day.

Logistically though it would take time to provide each person a unique code, unless a clever programmer here figured out a way to automatically send an email to every contributor and link it up with a bandcamp download code database

There's definitely a way to do it as an email version of a mail merge, if you combine the kickstarter backer list and list of bandcamp codes in a spreadsheet..

$30,000 comes out to around 2000 donors, can Bandcamp generate mass batches of codes like that and deliver to that many addresses?

Edited by Rubin Farr

It can generate the codes, but probably can't mail out to recipients. It generates a .csv file of pure codes, that can be merged with a list of email addresses that I assume can be exported from Kickstarter, and then thrown into variable data email software to send the same email to all recipients, except with unique codes according to the spreadsheet. Each code is only valid once, and I believe bandcamp also allows tracking of which codes have been redeemed.

Long-time lurker here just chiming in to say many thanks to everyone involved in making this happen. I just about had a heart attack when one of my roommates got home tonight and mentioned something he heard on the radio about a new Aphex Twin album. Of course it's old material, but this is such a pleasant surprise. The Kickstarter is a great idea and I'm happy to be able to contribute.