IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Uhhg. When you google 'aphex twin' the first thing that comes up are these asinine articles about his comments on the Illuminati and 9-11. I feel almost defensive about this and makes my fanboyism flare up. They are painting him as an idiot for click-bait. At the end of the day I think Aphex is pretty sensitive actually (reading between the lines). I don't want him getting pissed and saying fuck the public again (= music drought). /end paranoia

hopefully a few Tabloidly assholes dont ruin the fun. Fact Mag has always been a hacky and shitty excuse for journalism type of outlet. NME is.. well NME not really much to say there. Anyone ever remember reading anything remotely newsworthy or even a hair interesting on NME? nope not me either. Payola driven shit shacks who somehow think that by ridiculing richard they'll get clicks. they can all get royally fucked

Am I reading articles from an alternate universe? I've read literally nothing disparaging (from the two articles I just read anyway - NME and Independent)? Why are you getting so worked up and protective?

I just like to get worked up. I'm protective of anybody, especially one of my favorite musicians on the planet who decided to say such a risky thing (but thing I also adamantly believe about 9/11) to press. Fact Mag especially just thinks he's bullshitting, look at their story about it. All that aside, it's just a very exciting experience for this to happen (as evident by me being killed in my own boner in the other thread)

Edited by John Ehrlichman

I am currently eating a baked potato and am listening to Syro and it's quite nice. In a moment I mught take a sip of water and report back on how that makes me feel.

I hope it has lots of yummy toppings on it - chives, sour cream, shredded cheese, butter, salt, pepper, fresh ground bacon bits...

Damn, now I want a baked potato!

Can you make me one too and serve it to me on a tray, cause too lazy to get out of bed. Thaanks

After nearly a 13-year wait, Aphex Twin returns with its first full-length album since 2001, Syro. The album debuts at No. 1 on Dance/Electronic Albums and No. 11 on the Billboard 200, selling 23,000 copies in its first week, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

It's the best sales week ever for the act, and by far its best chart position on the Billboard 200, surpassing the No. 154 peak of Drukqs in 2001 (its last full-length studio set). (In between, Aphex Twin, aka, Richard David James, reached No. 3 on Dance/Electronic Albums with 26 Mixes for Cash in 2003.)

The new album performed particularly well on vinyl, as 22 percent of its first-week sales were on LP. That 5,000-unit figure also lands Syro the No. 1 spot on the Vinyl Albums chart -- and the largest sales week in 2014 for a dance/electronic album on vinyl.

From Billboard, this is data from sales in the US alone I think. Dunno quite how it works.

I like how they refer to Aphex Twin as 'it' though.

Finally listened to Syro, yesterday and today. Not quite sure what to make of it. But I only listened to it once, and a bit late at that.
Mostly uniform, steady jams as far as I can tell - nothing super edgy like he's done in the 1997-2001 time period. Overall, I didn't find it spectacular, but not atrocious either. Pretty much middle of the road.

Also how the hell did I miss your sulfuric acid post Peace7, that was fuckin' gold.

After nearly a 13-year wait, Aphex Twin returns with its first full-length album since 2001, Syro. The album debuts at No. 1 on Dance/Electronic Albums and No. 11 on the Billboard 200, selling 23,000 copies in its first week, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

It's the best sales week ever for the act, and by far its best chart position on the Billboard 200, surpassing the No. 154 peak of Drukqs in 2001 (its last full-length studio set). (In between, Aphex Twin, aka, Richard David James, reached No. 3 on Dance/Electronic Albums with 26 Mixes for Cash in 2003.)

The new album performed particularly well on vinyl, as 22 percent of its first-week sales were on LP. That 5,000-unit figure also lands Syro the No. 1 spot on the Vinyl Albums chart -- and the largest sales week in 2014 for a dance/electronic album on vinyl.

From Billboard, this is data from sales in the US alone I think. Dunno quite how it works.

I like how they refer to Aphex Twin as 'it' though.

Could be interesting to see whether there is a prallel between syro sales and kickstarter donors. The first week of the kickstarter was spectacular as well.

But besides, i do think syro deserves a larger audience than drukqs. It's easier to digest and it does remarkably well on repeat. Compared to drukqs, Listening to the entirety of drukqs is just too much for the average listener.

Btw, I'm still waiting for the music video for minipops (or syro). Would be a hell of a stunt to try to redefine pop music, like in the nineties. And this time it could be even more successful. Because there's an entire album worth of music coming along with a videoclip, instead of an ep.

Edited by goDel

there's alot more going on in syro

Than in Rushup Edge? No way.
I felt so. I recently went back and listened to the Tuss EP & LP and I really like SYRO a lot more. I think it's more melodic and layered, but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

I felt so. I recently went back and listened to the Tuss EP & LP and I really like SYRO a lot more. I think it's more melodic and layered, but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Whatever you say Anthony Fantano :emotawesomepm9:

hey pitchfork, can you please tell me again which song it is that skrillex likes and which one kanye sampled? it's been 5 minutes since the last time you mentioned it, fucking morons. and those guys are important so if they mentioned this aphex twin dude then it must be OK for me to check him out. oh but hmm whats this? a video for a song called windowlicker. i'll click on that and give that a chance. wow is this racist? i dunno but its really disturbing and super weeieeieeirrrd! eewww!

noticed that too. anyone know why?

one thing i noticed while looking over my records was how different aisatsana's grooves looked to every other track. i just thought that was cool.

Just go and grab two records from your collection. One ambient, and one full of beat-heavy drillcore. And see how different the grooves look on the two records. The ambient one prolly looks a bit darker than the beat records, I'm guessing. Has to do with how the waveform looks...

noticed that too. anyone know why?

one thing i noticed while looking over my records was how different aisatsana's grooves looked to every other track. i just thought that was cool.

Bass makes wider grooves.