Syro period interviews

Boris de Vries

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

U r a cool guy HJ

Richard is really fuckin smart

Apart from the chem trails

I know a really smart guy who is incredibly good with math and physics who truly believes in chem trails. He documents flights and trails and records weather patterns. He is convinced.

Then again. A lot of brilliant people end up going mad or perhaps it is the madness that makes the brilliant. Robin Williams, Godel, Cantor to name a few that I can think of. Or perhaps it is all of us who are blind? IF there were chem trails, who would be able to tell them apart from contrails, not like anyone is going to be able to fly up and take a sample.

just read the oor interview, lot's of truth but troll asswell i believe

he says his kids call him aphex now and then and that his oldest son programs in 5 computer languages

also rants about modern day popmusic and that he wants to shake up the popworld and reach as many people as possible

see you at tommorrow land rich

Believe what you want of course, but he was completely sincere during the entire interview (including those two 'Bonus Beats' episodes with the chemtrail rants). Exaggerating, probably (about the programming stuff), trolling? Not really.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the entire Oor interview attached in a .doc.

very good and interesting interview, enjoyed reading it. really seems like he's grown up a lot with his family and stuff, really different in comparison to other interviews! thx for your effort herr jan :-)!

just read the oor interview, lot's of truth but troll asswell i believe

he says his kids call him aphex now and then and that his oldest son programs in 5 computer languages

also rants about modern day popmusic and that he wants to shake up the popworld and reach as many people as possible

see you at tommorrow land rich

Believe what you want of course, but he was completely sincere during the entire interview (including those two 'Bonus Beats' episodes with the chemtrail rants). Exaggerating, probably (about the programming stuff), trolling? Not really.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the entire Oor interview attached in a .doc.

very good and interesting interview, enjoyed reading it. really seems like he's grown up a lot with his family and stuff, really different in comparison to other interviews! thx for your effort herr jan :-)!

I think he got kind af bored with all that bull . Still he talks about he got 5 or 6 releases ready ( dont doubt him) but i remember Bowie told the same in 1977 ; and what did he got : 4 or 5 finished tracks in the vault.

On the swinging piano:

‘It sounded incredible. I wasn’t sure how it was going to sound. I was hoping for a Doppler effect in the sound, because of the swinging piano. The pitch really went everywhere, especially if you were standing close. The composition was chosen perfectly; for the best results you need long chords. Only then do you really hear the notes being bent. On the stage it was just like all the notes were coming at you and passing each other in different speeds: first the high notes, then the low ones. You could almost see them flying through the air. It was mental.’

I felt privileged enough to be there on the night, and Richard's description nails how it played out... probably one of the most tangible moments I've had when experiencing live music. A shame that the recording on the night wasn't up to scratch for inclusion on Syro, but then I think it would always play second fiddle to the experience of hearing it live. Having a version where he plays it at home seems more appropriate, somehow. I can't wait to hear it round off the album.

Thanks, fantastic interview! The translation sounded pretty smooth to me. The bit about figuring out how to pitch feedback through a parametric EQ was especially interesting --I'll have to scout out that performance as I've only seen the swinging piano portion.

(Might want to turn down your speakers/phones, it's pretty loud)

Couldn't you rig up a set of speakers on a small platform, suspend from a J-hook and chain from the ceiling, feeding the wire up the chain, and then set it in motion and play the track? Wouldn't that produce close to the same effect?

You would get Doppler effect but re-amping a piano is very different from recording it in motion (and Doppler is easy to achieve with a combination of pan, pitch and reverb anyway). The way the swinging strained the entire mechanism, the notes emanating from and resonating in the body of the piano and the creaking of the entire frame as it swung would be lost that way.

It's one of those performances that you can't really record, even a decent binaural set up probably couldn't communicate the aural experience of being there.

I think that's a testament to how amazing the human ear is...

i'm not saying the government doesn't test biological weapons on the public, i'm just saying that that's not how they do it.

also

"Sue Ellison, spokeswoman for Porton Down, said: 'Independent reports by eminent scientists have shown there was no danger to public health from these releases which were carried out to protect the public.

'The results from these trials_ will save lives, should the country or our forces face an attack by chemical and biological weapons.'

Asked whether such tests are still being carried out, she said: 'It is not our policy to discuss ongoing research.'"

wow

In Florida, during the Summer these trucks come out at night & blanket the neighborhoods with Malathion to fight Mosquitos & malaria supposedly. You don't wanna be outside when they spray that shit.

Weren't the Pitchfork and Fader interviews supposed to be out by now? What gives?

I've been saying the same thing! Damn it! Where are the interviews!!

Is he talking about a particular Derrick May track there?

No, he just says May has been an enormous influence on him, then switches to the Reese track, saying that all Detroit techno was based on presets every one of which he eventually found and was ready to die coz of it

So the stock sample he mentions for the Mirage isn't one particular sample in one paricular track?

Ah, i thought you didn't read the thing. Derrick used similar sounds for most of his tracks (in the early era, at least), so i guess it's not a single example. One way to find out anyway.

OK, I just went through a bunch of stock Mirage samples a few weeks back and wondered if I could remember the one he referred to. Sample spotting, 8 bit, that's one for the nerds.

Archived