IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

Unless someone asks him and he specifically says 'oh yeah these tracks are much later than everything else I've uploaded so far' those Cheetah tracks are from the 90s. If that's the case it shines a whole new light on Syro for me. Would mean it's a 'personality' he'd been working on without releasing even a hint of it for over 20 years. I'm probably wrong though I dunno I go away again now.

I think that's too strong of a statement. T13 and T08 were from ~2014 but were posted on SC. Uncle Joyrex said the Cottages were from Tuss-era and I think tigercubdelay is too. There are a couple likely Analord-era tracks, the Luke Vibert track was ~2006.

I think ~2009 tracks are certainly plausible.

Has he specifically tagged tracks as being later than mid-late 90s or said this in comments or something? I've seen quite a few people throwing around comments like 'oh this sounds like Drukqs era!' 'total Tuss vibes' etc. on tunes that sound to me like they're from the 90s when he was releasing stuff that sounded completely different at the time. Where is the JR quote? Did he just say he thought it sounded like that or was it an actual nudge nudge wink wink I know what I'm talking about statement?

Joyrex quote below; he didn't elaborate. Certainly the T08 and T13 were recently, we know that from the interview from last year. And we know the Vibert remix was 2006. We don't know the other tracks were mid-2000s, but they certainly sound like it.

I'm hearing around 2000 estimate for 179 brk 2. Thoughts on when for cubdelay (sounds later, maybe 2004?), Notting Hill Bus (not sure, but 1997 or later), and the two Cottages (Analord, 2004ish)?

the Cottage tracks were Tuss-era, AFAIK

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

not%20even%20close_zpsrch7deyv.png

Just sayin'...

Nah atypic is pretty close imo. Most of the dump is pre-1996 stuff, with the occassional odd one out. For example, he uploaded T13 / T8 with the noyzelab interview stuff and described it as one of his most recent tracks. Afaik the cottage tracks are Analord-era or later, not sure. The Vibert remix is definitely done somewhere in 2006. I do have my doubts about tigercubdelay.

I'm convinced that 179 brk 2 is made in the Drukqs era. Dead giveaway is 1:52 and onwards. Still not sure about Notting Hill Bus although I guess it's somewhere in the late 90's. Are there more recent-sounding ones?

Shit yeah forgot about the Vibert remix and the Noyzelab. Theory goes out the window. In that case Cheetah3 is a Syro outtake then, amazon :)

(Could well be in for some Drukqs/Tuss/more Syro period in the near future then possibly maybe!)

Great comment:

@richard-shepherd-8: ha, well i was here one saturday uploading and there was nobody here, all out enjoying yourselves, so i gave up & went to bed.

He obviously enjoys all the comments and buzz that the uploads produce, bit obvious I suppose but nice to see his human side. But I can't believe there was a recent Saturday where I and a hundred others wasn't periodically F5'ing SC!

Great comment:

@richard-shepherd-8: ha, well i was here one saturday uploading and there was nobody here, all out enjoying yourselves, so i gave up & went to bed.

He obviously enjoys all the comments and buzz that the uploads produce, bit obvious I suppose but nice to see his human side. But I can't believe there was a recent Saturday where I and a hundred others wasn't periodically F5'ing SC!

Looks like we need even more continuous F5'ing, maybe in shifts :)

Although it sounds like something was broken, because how could there be nobody there, people comment on these within a few minutes every time...

Or could be trolling because he knows we're all watching like hawks 24 hours a day

Edited by nyr22

Nah atypic is pretty close imo. Most of the dump is pre-1996 stuff, with the occassional odd one out. For example, he uploaded T13 / T8 with the noyzelab interview stuff and described it as one of his most recent tracks. Afaik the cottage tracks are Analord-era or later, not sure. The Vibert remix is definitely done somewhere in 2006. I do have my doubts about tigercubdelay.

I'm convinced that 179 brk 2 is made in the Drukqs era. Dead giveaway is 1:52 and onwards. Still not sure about Notting Hill Bus although I guess it's somewhere in the late 90's. Are there more recent-sounding ones?

The ones you listed are the only ones I have as post-1997. That's ten tracks, including the Cheetahs.

jackhammerf5.gif

No matter how much I hammer that reload button I can't make him hurry up. Cheetah was too much, got me well excited

not%20even%20close_zpsrch7deyv.png

Just sayin'...

Shit yeah forgot about the Vibert remix and the Noyzelab. Theory goes out the window. In that case Cheetah3 is a Syro outtake then, amazon :)

(Could well be in for some Drukqs/Tuss/more Syro period in the near future then possibly maybe!)

Cheetah3 reeeally sounds like Syro, but then again, when were the first Syro tracks made ? minipops was played around 2005 iirc, probably recorded before that, so maybe the Cheetah track has been made in the late nineties after all - and, to be honest, that would absolutely blow my mind off :music:

So well written.

There are definitely a lot of tracks in the downloaded file that are also on the YouTube playlist, but since they’re both so long and so many of the songs have names like “prncDMC” or “1.5 Dp5 Beats,” it’s hard to tell if they’re exactly the same. Figuring that out sounds like a good job for someone with a ridiculous amount of time on their hands.

They're obvisouly asking for our help here !

I think it's reasonable to assume that both Cheetahs came from the same time period. AFAICT, Teac seems like not so contemporary a company, although. Cheetah very very likely refers to the English-made Cheetah synths though we know not which one. Both have been around since the 80s, although that doesn't mean he wasn't using/recording recently. Certainly they weren't recorded in the 80s. Worth noting that Teac and Cheetah don't show up in the Syro equipment list.

Unless someone asks him and he specifically says 'oh yeah these tracks are much later than everything else I've uploaded so far' those Cheetah tracks are from the 90s. If that's the case it shines a whole new light on Syro for me. Would mean it's a 'personality' he'd been working on without releasing even a hint of it for over 20 years. I'm probably wrong though I dunno I go away again now.

the cheetahs are def. syro-era tracks - or at least analord/tuss, although cheetah 7 could fool you since it's recorded to tape. the sequencing on cheetah 3 is clearly cirklon, and the fm sounds are very similar to ones used on syro. the sound quality of this is better (or at least different) than his 92-94 era tracks, and he didn't use these kinds of synths for rdj-druqks. also, CHEETAHT7 has the same Sound Devices 722 filename convention as other syro/ccai2 tracks.

ed- sorry bad quoting attributions

Edited by Ingwe

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

These AV Club and Vulture articles actually make the Fact article that linked to this thread a few months ago look like a beacon of quality