IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Been listening to these tracks quite a lot while working for the last few weeks and gems keep popping up all over the place. Gonna have to do some tweaking to my votes at some point I think. And more on the way! Bring it on!! :D

Been listening to these tracks quite a lot while working for the last few weeks and gems keep popping up all over the place. Gonna have to do some tweaking to my votes at some point I think. And more on the way! Bring it on!! :D

Yes, I sorted mine originally between ones I liked and ones I didn't. I have moved several across but it is one way traffic. There are none going from like to dislike.

Been thinking about cramming my plane full with money bills and drop it on RDJ's porch. With an extra note on top saying: "yours if you master the entire bunch of sc-tracks and release them digitally". He's still in the music for cash business, right?

Serious question:

.........all this SC stuff is amazing BUT how many think its pure ultra modern marketing effort by Aphex's hidden management posse?

Sure it has the veneer of a musician-with-integrity-touching-base-with-fans.... but could it all be just another music industry charade?

Does it even matter?.... if its all about the tunes anyway?

Hopefully Drukqs era.

It'd be pretty crazy if he was storing Druqks tracks on tapes

I suspect he has far fewer Druqks tracks than any other type, he said himself those were the tracks he spent the most time on(I think that interview was pre-Tuss/Minipops tho)

The fact he spent the MOST time on them probably means the opposite - he probably went through hundreds of revisions to get those tracks just the way he wanted them to be (and learning how to control his player piano).

Personally, I really, really, want to hear more ICBYD outtakes (I suspect he's not releasing any variants of existing released works (barring a few exceptions) due to licensing issues).

Serious question:

.........all this SC stuff is amazing BUT how many think its pure ultra modern marketing effort by Aphex's hidden management posse?

Sure it has the veneer of a musician-with-integrity-touching-base-with-fans.... but could it all be just another music industry charade?

I think it's a bit of both - it's a way to say thanks to the fans for showing such interest in unreleased stuff (CWLP, ABB5, MFM), and a nice side-effect is he gets his backlog of music sorted and organized (I bet it's fun for him to go down memory lane with some of these tracks too), and potentially set up for a proper release, which gives him more cash, which gives him more time to make more music.

Serious question:

I've thought this was the case from the start, although I don't think it matters. He gets new fans, we get new tunes.

Hopefully Drukqs era.

It'd be pretty crazy if he was storing Druqks tracks on tapes

I suspect he has far fewer Druqks tracks than any other type, he said himself those were the tracks he spent the most time on(I think that interview was pre-Tuss/Minipops tho)

The fact he spent the MOST time on them probably means the opposite - he probably went through hundreds of revisions to get those tracks just the way he wanted them to be (and learning how to control his player piano).

Personally, I really, really, want to hear more ICBYD outtakes (I suspect he's not releasing any variants of existing released works (barring a few exceptions) due to licensing issues).

assuming he kept copies/renders of earlier revisions. Could have kept building off the same save files. I'm guessing there are not tons of earlier renders, but maybe. I would buy a box set of drukqs in-progress works, no question.

Serious question:

I really don't think Richard operates under anyone's control (Warp, managers, etc.). I've seen people suggest that he is pissing off Warp or might get sued by so-and-so, and I can't help but chuckle. I truly believe Warp are as happy as piss (just lik we are) when they get something from him to release, and would never in a million years consider suing him.

I'm sure Richard operates on his own terms and it seems like he has since way early on. Besides, how can HUNDREDS OF FREE UNRELEASED RDJ TUNES be anything but a gift?

Serious question:

I really don't think Richard operates under anyone's control (Warp, managers, etc.). I've seen people suggest that he is pissing off Warp or might get sued by so-and-so, and I can't help but chuckle. I truly believe Warp are as happy as piss (just lik we are) when they get something from him to release, and would never in a million years consider suing him.

I'm sure Richard operates on his own terms and it seems like he has since way early on. Besides, how can HUNDREDS OF FREE UNRELEASED RDJ TUNES be anything but a gift?

exactly what i'm thinking

Serious question:

I seriously doubt this. He could just as easily have released all of these tracks if he wanted to and make much more money.

I don't think releasing these tracks on SC will get him more sales on future records. Only the die hard fans buy music without first listening to it.

I think this way is the most basic way of showing the industry that it's all about the tunes like you state. I would think this is the way to bypass the whole industry charade...

with online media you now have to give away 50% of your best material to get back a substantial amount of cash unless you are supported by marketing team to promote your shit.

Most people will just torrent it if they want it so it's better to give some away for free and hopefully make some cash off the rest.

aphex has always talked about music should be free and i think it will be difficult for anyone to make money from music unless they are playing shows.

music companies are trying to make a standard model now for HQ streaming service before the whole thing falls over and i think Richard is doing the polar opposite with this? whether it's just for personal reasons, artistic reasons or just for the hell of it, he's going against the grain.

I don't think warp would be that bothered cause their aphex sales have probably shot up since he started uploading

I still find it a bit strange that Warp never promoted it, yet someone else (can't remember who) did a SC dump and they shared the link on Mongbook, Twitter, etc.

Sure, it was posted on the @AphexTwin Twitter, but that could have been Rich. I assume he has access to that?

Only just realised how good Plinkyplonk is, sorry Rich but could you hold off uploading anything a while longer? Obviously not given half the current batch a good enough going over yet.

Just kidding, unleash the beasts fella!

Guest Londonskater

I think people are looking too deeply with the idea of a marketing ploy.

I also think that in respect of Warp; those guys are huge fans. Surely they are just as excited on a personal level to hear this?

If AFX was to put out a bunch of stuff he feels he'd never want to release "properly" then that somewhat dilutes a pretty much perfect back catalogue of releases.

Why not just reward the die hard fans with all the "junk" you have laying about - partly because you want to say thanks for the years of support and buying of his records without waiting on a review before they tuck in (because let's face it, the SC is pretty much only followed by die hard fans who would lap up anything).

...and also why not do it because it's just got to feel plain old rad, right?

Tons of folk conversing, listening and enjoying all sorts of oddities which you've felt weren't worth seeing the light of day. That's got to feel pretty fucking cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w ho's looking deeply ? one person suggested it, others commented on the suggestion. Anything that gets attention could be thought of after the fact as genius marketing if one felt like it. We're all in on it too, part of the marketing ploy to sell aphexian musics to the masses around our social networks, weren't you at the last, "Big Up Richard", meeting, i sent you a memo in your calender.

I think people are looking too deeply with the idea of a marketing ploy.

I also think that in respect of Warp; those guys are huge fans. Surely they are just as excited on a personal level to hear this?

If AFX was to put out a bunch of stuff he feels he'd never want to release "properly" then that somewhat dilutes a pretty much perfect back catalogue of releases.

Why not just reward the die hard fans with all the "junk" you have laying about - partly because you want to say thanks for the years of support and buying of his records without waiting on a review before they tuck in (because let's face it, the SC is pretty much only followed by die hard fans who would lap up anything).

...and also why not do it because it's just got to feel plain old rad, right?

Tons of folk conversing, listening and enjoying all sorts of oddities which you've felt weren't worth seeing the light of day. That's got to feel pretty fucking cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure Richard said he didn't view the SC tracks as any way inferior to his releases