IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

Guest Londonskater

I think people are looking too deeply with the idea of a marketing ploy.

I also think that in respect of Warp; those guys are huge fans. Surely they are just as excited on a personal level to hear this?

If AFX was to put out a bunch of stuff he feels he'd never want to release "properly" then that somewhat dilutes a pretty much perfect back catalogue of releases.

Why not just reward the die hard fans with all the "junk" you have laying about - partly because you want to say thanks for the years of support and buying of his records without waiting on a review before they tuck in (because let's face it, the SC is pretty much only followed by die hard fans who would lap up anything).

...and also why not do it because it's just got to feel plain old rad, right?

Tons of folk conversing, listening and enjoying all sorts of oddities which you've felt weren't worth seeing the light of day. That's got to feel pretty fucking cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure Richard said he didn't view the SC tracks as any way inferior to his releases

He did. Somewhere. Hence my line about AFX feeling he'd never want to release certain things "properly".

It's not some marketing ploy c'mon, how cynical are you?

The man wants to release his babies into the world for all to enjoy and so that they won't accidentally get lost or destroyed. 10,000s of copies of all these tracks means they'll exist for far longer than if they'd stayed on a single tape in an attic somewhere.
He's not at war with Warp either - I find it strange that those rumours persist.

Time.

said it before and i'm saying it again... erik's rx101 tracks are way better than the afx sc dump

Fairly provocative thing to say twice in just a few days, but you have me curious at least. I don't know this rx101 music from Erik. Can you please provide a link so I can hear it?

I also think that in respect of Warp; those guys are huge fans. Surely they are just as excited on a personal level to hear this?

If AFX was to put out a bunch of stuff he feels he'd never want to release "properly" then that somewhat dilutes a pretty much perfect back catalogue of releases.

Why not just reward the die hard fans with all the "junk" you have laying about - partly because you want to say thanks for the years of support and buying of his records without waiting on a review before they tuck in (because let's face it, the SC is pretty much only followed by die hard fans who would lap up anything).

Tons of folk conversing, listening and enjoying all sorts of oddities which you've felt weren't worth seeing the light of day. That's got to feel pretty fucking cool.

Pretty sure Richard said he didn't view the SC tracks as any way inferior to his releases

He did. Somewhere. Hence my line about AFX feeling he'd never want to release certain things "properly".

I still don't think he ever characterized them as inferior. He says he cherishes some of them more than any of his released material. Just for some reason or another he doesn't see them as fitting in on a release.

Guest Londonskater

I still don't think he ever characterized them as inferior. He says he cherishes some of them more than any of his released material. Just for some reason or another he doesn't see them as fitting in on a release.

Not that I want to get into he said/she said - but I never described the tracks as inferior or used that term until you did.

The worst thing I referred to them was as "junk" (in inverted commas) as I couldn't think of a better term plus he is dragging these out from old clearly forgotten about resources.

Just for the record - a bit of miscommunication on my behalf I guess - I don't think of the SC dump as inferior or actual junk.

In fact, some of this stuff ranks amongst my very favourite of his output.

Heliosphan live is fucking nuts, for example.

said it before and i'm saying it again... erik's rx101 tracks are way better than the afx sc dump

Fairly provocative thing to say twice in just a few days, but you have me curious at least. I don't know this rx101 music from Erik. Can you please provide a link so I can hear it?

Erik took all his tracks down from Soundcloud as he has been approached by someone to release them. There were over a hundred tracks up at one time or another of consistently good quality. I agree it was a provocative statement though!

Seems like Richard has always done things that seem complicated from the outside but are pretty straightforward for him. He talks a lot of shit though. I would take an Occam's razor approach when attempting to decipher his motivations.

Is this the easiest way?

If yes, that's probably why.

If no, are you sure?

Secondary motivation always being, "Is this the disruptive/troll way?"

If yes, likely he is getting a kick out of it.

If no, let's face it, he always trolls.

can Mike and Rich please upload all the goodies(and enable dl's) before Soundclown goes subscription...

k thnx bai

Or even worse...

http://www.factmag.com/2015/07/27/soundcloud-is-reportedly-dangerously-low-on-cash/

Doesn't sound too good... hopefully we'll get the dwl button with every new upcoming track!

I wonder if the subsriptions will be enough to save SC though. How many of you guys would get a subscription?

I've already got code that lets the voting site supply downloads of all downloadable tracks, including making a zip file of the top 30 (appropriately tagged etc) at any point, but haven't made it live as somewhat questionable about copyrights etc. I guess it probably beats not having the files at all though.

I also wouldn't jump to any conclusions about SoundCloud yet either. Even if they are going through financial troubles the site as-is will have high value - somebody else will buy it or invest or something. It's be highly unlikely for it to just disappear.

they need a cheap sub, i'd pay ten bucks a year for my little corner of their site, they should also provide all stats with this, cause really it's hits and space on their server that costs them money not holding or giving you stat data. it's a good site you know, there's been lots of these things by now and i really like this one. I was disappointed to hear that a music conglomerate now owns a piece. achilles heal

thaanks for making your avatar smaller godel, you're a dude.

Whilst you're at it, how about changing your username, your one makes me feel violated because godel sounds like a conflation of go to hell. Surely it can't be that big of a deal, and i'm sure you wouldn't mind given that you're so attuned to the values of today.

taa.

[-;