IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

Can we at least agree that a ban on automatic and semi-automatic rifles would be a good idea?

Yes.

It'll never happen in most of America, of course. But it should happen.

i literally cant believe that there are people stupid enough to think that legal guns is a good idea.

Legal guns are a good idea. Highly (HIGHLY) regulated hunting weapons are fine. There'd still be problems, but that's because of the culture around guns, which is really the problem. But that sort of shit will take a very long time to get away from, if it's ever possible. Banning things (drugs, guns, abortions, etc.) doesn't fix the issue. It can often cause even more problems. It's the culture that needs fixing more than anything, and that's not going to be easy, if it happens.
You are mental. Legal guns are obviously not a good idea. Banning them is a great idea. "Hunters" should just get a new hobby, why not try just hiking and camping without bringing along a cannon to murder small furry things with?

You vegan bro? Also you know hunting weapons are legal in pretty much any country in the world, right?

if the concert attendees had shoulder-fired, laser guided, missile launchers none of that would happen and they could swiftly deal with the attacker shooting at them from above.

fucking lol

also the "warmest condolences" tweet made me vomit

finally called it an act of evil...you know he like said something even W would of immediately stated as a reptilian reflex like any other human being with basic empathy

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/opinion/mass-shooting-vegas.html

We don’t need to simply acquiesce to this kind of slaughter. 

When Australia suffered a mass shooting in 1996, the country united behind tougher laws on firearms. As a result, the gun homicide rate was almost halved, and the gun suicide rate dropped by half, according to the Journal of Public Health Policy.

Skeptics will say that there are no magic wands and that laws can’t make the carnage go away. To some extent, they’re right. Some criminals will always be able to obtain guns, especially in a country like America that is awash with 300 million firearms. We are always likely to have higher gun death rates than Europe.

But the scale is staggering. Since 1970, more Americans have died from guns (including suicides, murders and accidents) than the sum total of all the Americans who died in all the wars in American history, back to the American Revolution. Every day, some 92 Americans die from guns, and American kids are 14 times as likely to die from guns as children in other developed countries, according to David Hemenway of Harvard.

So while there’s no magic wand available, here are some steps we could take that would, collectively, make a difference:

1. Impose universal background checks for anyone buying a gun. Four out of five Americans support this measure, to prevent criminals or terrorists from obtaining guns.

2. Impose a minimum age limit of 21 on gun purchases. This is already the law for handgun purchases in many states, and it mirrors the law on buying alcohol.

3. Enforce a ban on possession of guns by anyone subject to a domestic violence protection order. This is a moment when people are upset and prone to violence against their ex-es.

4. Limit gun purchases by any one person to no more than, say, two a month, and tighten rules on straw purchasers who buy for criminals. Make serial numbers harder to remove.

5. Adopt microstamping of cartridges so that they can be traced to the gun that fired them, useful for solving gun crimes.

6. Invest in “smart gun” purchases by police departments or the U.S. military, to promote their use. Such guns require a PIN or can only be fired when near a particular bracelet or other device, so that children cannot misuse them and they are less vulnerable to theft. The gun industry made a childproof gun in the 1800’s but now resists smart guns.

7. Require safe storage, to reduce theft, suicide and accidents by children.

8. Invest in research to see what interventions will be more effective in reducing gun deaths. We know, for example, that alcohol and guns don’t mix, but we don’t know precisely what laws would be most effective in reducing the resulting toll. Similar investments in reducing other kinds of accidental deaths have been very effective.

These are all modest steps, and I can’t claim that they would have an overwhelming effect. But public health experts think it’s plausible that a series of well-crafted safety measures like these could reduce gun deaths by one-third—or more than 10,000 a year.

Before he opened fire late Sunday — killing at least 50 people at a country music festival on the Las Vegas Strip — the gunman Stephen Paddock lived a quiet life for years in a small town outside Las Vegas.

A retired man, Paddock often visited Las Vegas to gamble and take in concerts, his relatives said. Public records show he was a licensed pilot who owned two planes. And he had a hunting license from Alaska.

[At least 50 dead, more than 400 injured after shooting on Las Vegas Strip]

For several years, he appeared to live in Mesquite, Tex. But property records show he chose to move to another town named Mesquite in Nevada, where he bought a home in 2013, and he has been living there ever since.

Paddock's family said there was nothing in his past that would suggest violence.

"We are in complete shock, bewilderment and horror. We have absolutely no idea how in the world Steve did this. Absolutely no concept," said one relative, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to avoid hurting other relatives. "There was nothing secret or strange about him."

Family members said that Paddock spent much of his retirement in recent years staying in hotels in Las Vegas and gambling. They said he listened to country music and went to concerts at Vegas hotels.

you could never round up all the guns in America. Ever. 

It's weird when think about going to Europe my first thoughts are, will I get run over by a truck. will acid get thrown in my face, will I get stabbed. 

I guess guns ae the devil I know. 

For several years, he appeared to live in Mesquite, Tex. 

This makes me wonder if he flirted with militias. Not that everyone in Texas is into them, but there's a fair amount of them (and groups like them) out there. Retired, aging white male with an interest in guns. 

I have to admit I find it hard not to want to reason out the whys in situations like this. The media does need to stop plastering the name and face of the perpetrators constantly, I'm a firm believer that the fame of it is a contributor to the mass shootings, but my (and everyone else's) interest in knowing who this person is and why they did what they did is not helping. 

it's not even comparable to australia because their population is less than 10 percent of the united states. there might be a solution in banning semi auto weapons but even then, the rate of gun ownership is so high in the us that it's literally going to be impossible to do. not to mention the gun culture here is not going away. 

It's weird when think about going to Europe my first thoughts are, will I get run over by a truck. will acid get thrown in my face, will I get stabbed.

That's your first thought about going to Europe? wtf

For several years, he appeared to live in Mesquite, Tex. 

This makes me wonder if he flirted with militias. Not that everyone in Texas is into them, but there's a fair amount of them (and groups like them) out there. Retired, aging white male with an interest in guns. 

I have to admit I find it hard not to want to reason out the whys in situations like this. The media does need to stop plastering the name and face of the perpetrators constantly, I'm a firm believer that the fame of it is a contributor to the mass shootings, but my (and everyone else's) interest in knowing who this person is and why they did what they did is not helping. 

They are becoming a lot more normalized too. Even very right-wing gun nuts were hesitant to associate themselves with such groups back in the mid-90s and most "militia" were backwood weirdos. Now you have them essentially lobbying publicly and plastering stickers on their cars as they drive to their suburban homes.

you could never round up all the guns in America. Ever. 

100% truth. Literally impossible. Even a buyback program like in Australia would never work here. 

we're a unique case in history for sure. still, something can and should be done: keep in mind the GOP is literally doing all it can to deregulate gun ownership to the point where anyone could buy any gun and carry it in public without any backlash, including questioning from police

hell I know people who own AR-15s and other crazy military grade rifles, shot them for fun in rural Texas, and are reasonable people who would not dare flaunt that shit in public. do they deserve to be affected? probably not in principle but at this point we all need to pay a price to cut down on deaths. I don't want friends, family, and loved ones living in fear of sociopaths mowing down people in public in the name of defending some vague, bullshit "interpretation" of a antiquated line of the Bill of Rights

Edited by joshuatx

apparently the shooter had a thing like this.. turns your semi auto into a little gatling gun... gun nerds were talking about it on reddit last night.. because it's not a fully automatic rifle.. not a machine gun.. i didn't notice but they said because you can hear the fire speeding up and slowing down.. it's not consistent.. so he had some kind of mod to the trigger to make it fire faster.. 

wtf mericuh.. who needs this?  for hunting??? 

keep in mind that last year the republicans voted to make it easier for people w/mental illnesses to get firearms. 

Edited by ignatius

keep in mind that last year the republicans voted to make it easier for people w/mental illnesses to get firearms. 

US, just build that f-ing wall around your beloved country and stop bothering the rest of the world. and keep your sugary/fat/salty fastfood there as well. kthxbye

it's not personal

US, just build that f-ing wall around your beloved country and stop bothering the rest of the world. and keep your sugary/fat/salty fastfood there as well. kthxbye

it's not personal

we could just divide the country.. put a wall between the two halves. i'd be ok w/that.  but good luck stopping mcdonald's and walmart etc.. :(

b-b-b-b-but......biscuits n sausage gravy

meanwhile in various hotspots around the world, larger numbers of folks are continually slaughtered, day in day out, b-b-b-b-b-but....

biscuits n gravy

now now no need to get nasty, our media is the widest covering so naturally everyone just hears about it more, doesnt mean we as people think our deaths are more important than anyone elses. just like your infrastructure/govt/administration/history didnt define you as citizens and your culture is the same way our backwards as shit shouldnt either. yes, we're fat greasy americans, but there are fat greasy british ppl too :D  hating on america cuz its fashionable is like a thirteen year old girl hating on her favorite emo band cuz they appeared in a hot topic ad. get over it. lives are lives. and why talk like that when innocents have died and the nation is mourning. i hate trump and mcdonalds and walmart and backwards ass hillbillys too, doesnt mean we cant have a day of mourning for the largest shooting spree in modern us history. i have friends who are still waiting to hear from loved ones and friends of friends who were shot, so fuck off.

ps this was for you and godel btw, i know everyone likes to jump in on the pissing contest on who can be more howard zinn / noam chomsky when the time calls for it. 

Edited by Lane Visitor