IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

maaaan, my biscuits & gravy checklist would be enough to get a Green Card already nevermind a 90day tourist visa:

Cracker Barrel does an immense sunday breakfast, folks hate on the Dolly Parton twee facade, but their B&G are the real deal

Georgia Brown's in DC, prob the most ridiculously huge but tasty breakfast buffet i've ever encountered, there was even a gravy "bath" for want of a better description & their biscuits you could fly into the atmosphere from......about 15 pieces of bacon didnt hurt either unless you discount the impending heart failure (see yer notes above)

Bob & Edith's in Arlington.....now THIS was a behemoth breakfast of kings....4 biscuits and a bowl of gravy that i demolished pronto, free refills for tea & coffee cos you know us Brits and our tea fetish

the list could go on but my memory is hazy and its been a while

but yes, biscuits & gravy rrrrrrrrock, its been so long but i'll never forget those fluffy white buttery biscuits heaped with sausage gravy, now THAT sir is national treasure

OK pardon my tone there, you know your biscuits and gravy a hell of a lot better than me. Agreed, you should be de facto qualified you for a green card. And your endorsement of the frozen Bob Evans rings a lot more trustworthy after all that, 

interesting piece by a former member of congress in NYT on why nothing will happen...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/opinion/gun-control-vegas-shooting.html

not a hopeful read, but interesting nonetheless.

Yes that was a good read... 

[J]ust like everything else in Washington, the gun lobby has become more polarized. The National Rifle Association, once a supporter of sensible gun-safety measures, is now forced to oppose them because of competing organizations. More moderation means less market share. The gun lobby is in a race to see who can become more brazen, more extreme.

interesting piece by a former member of congress in NYT on why nothing will happen...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/opinion/gun-control-vegas-shooting.html

not a hopeful read, but interesting nonetheless.

Yes that was a good read... 

[J]ust like everything else in Washington, the gun lobby has become more polarized. The National Rifle Association, once a supporter of sensible gun-safety measures, is now forced to oppose them because of competing organizations. More moderation means less market share. The gun lobby is in a race to see who can become more brazen, more extreme.

bingo

I remember actually seeing NRA gun safety ads and PSAs in magazines as a kid. 20 years seems like ages ago.

b-b-b-b-but......biscuits n sausage gravy

meanwhile in various hotspots around the world, larger numbers of folks are continually slaughtered, day in day out, b-b-b-b-b-but....

biscuits n gravy

now now no need to get nasty, our media is the widest covering so naturally everyone just hears about it more, doesnt mean we as people think our deaths are more important than anyone elses. just like your infrastructure/govt/administration/history didnt define you as citizens and your culture is the same way our backwards as shit shouldnt either. yes, we're fat greasy americans, but there are fat greasy british ppl too :D hating on america cuz its fashionable is like a thirteen year old girl hating on her favorite emo band cuz they appeared in a hot topic ad. get over it. lives are lives. and why talk like that when innocents have died and the nation is mourning. i hate trump and mcdonalds and walmart and backwards ass hillbillys too, doesnt mean we cant have a day of mourning for the largest shooting spree in modern us history. i have friends who are still waiting to hear from loved ones and friends of friends who were shot, so fuck off.

ps this was for you and godel btw, i know everyone likes to jump in on the pissing contest on who can be more howard zinn / noam chomsky when the time calls for it.

maaaaan, grow the fuck up, you have no fuckin idea what a douche move it is to try n take emotional ownership over some cunt on a shooting spree

yeah i bet the *insert x number of facefuck acquaintances you have are in the middle of all this

i've lived in the states & personally if i'd stayed i'd DEFINITELY have procured a weapon, because Merka is uber violent.....fuck off yourself with yer douchey "only emo 13yr olds hate on fat yanks".....that says a lot more about you than it does about someone putting things in a global context

keep in mind that last year the republicans voted to make it easier for people w/mental illnesses to get firearms.

US, just build that f-ing wall around your beloved country and stop bothering the rest of the world. and keep your sugary/fat/salty fastfood there as well. kthxbye

it's not personal

A wall would do fuck-all at keeping aircraft inside. Just sayin'.

meanwhile in various hotspots around the world, larger numbers of folks are continually slaughtered, day in day out, b-b-b-b-b-but....

biscuits n gravy

Like Lane Visitor said, no need to be a snarky prick. I'm aware of the shit that's going on in Syria, CAR, and Myanmar. But that doesn't make the topic at hand any less tragic. You never know if someone on here happens to be among the bereaved.

see above

mass murder like this is clearly the result of an imbalanced mind, but pick any number of location across the world, and we're all humans right, there's slaughter on an entirely larger scale occurring day in day out, but how often do you see it discussed here or anywhere else that curtains off your world from the nightmares elsewhere?

if you think i'm pissing on the freshly deceased, fuck off as well, its about context, not yank baiting, you length

some people here dont half like to get their precioussss on

Chill out man, why are you so angry? Ill admit i was having a shit day at work and a bit disturbed about the events that had unfolded.. I just found it in poor taste to essentially yell abt how much americans suck, what youre gonna tell me britian's shit doesn't stink? Lol who do you think we inherited all our oppression, greed and ignorance from? Thats all im trying to say, Come at american culture/citizens from sweden, haiti, mexico, fine. But fucking uk? Get outta here lol

your brought the hysterics to the table and they were dismissed, get over it

re-Britain - what language are you typing in? i tend to take a precious Euro-snob perspective over so many "lol"s.....its lazy English & thats coming from a region which has had 1500 yrs of mistrust of our duplicitous Anglo-Saxon neighbours

Britain has an imperial legacy, no doubt, but its been however many hundreds of years since you declared independence and sank our fuckin tea...and fuckin with our tea is like fuckin with our emotions, sooooo i'd sort yer own house out before casting aspersions, besides, France your oldest ally was dismissed as a bunch of fags renaming French Fries "Freedom Fries" etc, so there's a shallowness that mindless patriotism bestows on nations who supported & delivered your indepence on some bs whim

More than that, as the new Rome, America clearly appropriated "The British Empire" after WWII, fact. So, you live on the city on a hill built upon generations of sorrow sown by countless failed foreign policy interventions, wars & propping up foreign dictatorships, but you still sleep soundly at night. If yer not part of the solution etc

Certain aspects of American culture are backwards to say the least, thats not Euro-snob bs, its a fact:

guns <---insert countless case file here

education & the waste of so much talent that isnt allowed to realize its potential...who knows if you had we might've cracked the cancer nut by now

your nation's comical attitude to health-care

your nation's prisons & the disproportionate internment of African Americans, year in year out

your nation's insipid money worship, across vast sections of society & the entitlements of ingrained narcissism supported by low costs of living and high living standards

good ol' "American Exceptionalism"

the rate of veteran suicides

and thats just the veneered surface

Britain might be a lot of things, but it aint the manifest outlined above, not by a huge margin

Also who are you to judge how anyone grieves, feels, expresses, etc, esp at a time like this and then assume the ppl i was referring to were meaningless acquaintances. Even if they were and that affected me, i should still have the room to feel the way i do without being mocked or my authenticity being questioned. I think youre being the douchey one dude.

again, hysteria gets you nowhere in life, not now, not ever

if you lived with ptsd, you'd have had a similar nauseating reaction that i did to the events in LV, but America isnt the world and every day far worse events happen globally which barely get a look in within your nation's focus. Even mentioning that got your knickers in a twist, so notions of context etc. How do i know what goes on in terms of the US collective perspective of the rest of the world? Cos i spent enough time in the US to see the place for what it is. Can you say the same about Britain? Case closed.

honestly, it was like reading Limpy Loo Lite, you're a grown man so you'll manage just fine when you learn how to put events into a global perspective & appreciate gallows humour for what it is and conversely for what it is not

and biscuits & gravy should be exported promptly, we could take that back as the interest on all our tea you dumped, or we'll sail up the Chesapeake & Potomac & burn your Whitehouse down again like we did in 1814

hith-british-burn-washington-dc-200-year

biscuits n gravy

now now no need to get nasty, our media is the widest covering so naturally everyone just hears about it more, doesnt mean we as people think our deaths are more important than anyone elses. just like your infrastructure/govt/administration/history didnt define you as citizens and your culture is the same way our backwards as shit shouldnt either. yes, we're fat greasy americans, but there are fat greasy british ppl too :D hating on america cuz its fashionable is like a thirteen year old girl hating on her favorite emo band cuz they appeared in a hot topic ad. get over it. lives are lives. and why talk like that when innocents have died and the nation is mourning. i hate trump and mcdonalds and walmart and backwards ass hillbillys too, doesnt mean we cant have a day of mourning for the largest shooting spree in modern us history. i have friends who are still waiting to hear from loved ones and friends of friends who were shot, so fuck off.

ps this was for you and godel btw, i know everyone likes to jump in on the pissing contest on who can be more howard zinn / noam chomsky when the time calls for it.

maaaaan, grow the fuck up, you have no fuckin idea what a douche move it is to try n take emotional ownership over some cunt on a shooting spree

yeah i bet the *insert x number of facefuck acquaintances you have are in the middle of all this

i've lived in the states & personally if i'd stayed i'd DEFINITELY have procured a weapon, because Merka is uber violent.....fuck off yourself with yer douchey "only emo 13yr olds hate on fat yanks".....that says a lot more about you than it does about someone putting things in a global context

keep in mind that last year the republicans voted to make it easier for people w/mental illnesses to get firearms.

US, just build that f-ing wall around your beloved country and stop bothering the rest of the world. and keep your sugary/fat/salty fastfood there as well. kthxbye

it's not personal

biscuits n gravy

Like Lane Visitor said, no need to be a snarky prick. I'm aware of the shit that's going on in Syria, CAR, and Myanmar. But that doesn't make the topic at hand any less tragic. You never know if someone on here happens to be among the bereaved.

see above

mass murder like this is clearly the result of an imbalanced mind, but pick any number of location across the world, and we're all humans right, there's slaughter on an entirely larger scale occurring day in day out, but how often do you see it discussed here or anywhere else that curtains off your world from the nightmares elsewhere?

if you think i'm pissing on the freshly deceased, fuck off as well, its about context, not yank baiting, you length

Chill out man, why are you so angry? Ill admit i was having a shit day at work and a bit disturbed about the events that had unfolded.. I just found it in poor taste to essentially yell abt how much americans suck, what youre gonna tell me britian's shit doesn't stink? Lol who do you think we inherited all our oppression, greed and ignorance from? Thats all im trying to say, Come at american culture/citizens from sweden, haiti, mexico, fine. But fucking uk? Get outta here lol

re-Britain - what language are you typing in? i tend to take a precious Euro-snob perspective over so many "lol"s.....its lazy English & thats coming from a region which has had 1500 yrs of mistrust of our duplicitous Anglo-Saxon neighbours

Britain has an imperial legacy, no doubt, but its been however many hundreds of years since you declared independence and sank our fuckin tea...and fuckin with our tea is like fuckin with our emotions, sooooo i'd sort yer own house out before casting aspersions, besides, France your oldest ally was dismissed as a bunch of fags renaming French Fries "Freedom Fries" etc, so there's a shallowness that mindless patriotism bestows on nations who supported & delivered your indepence on some bs whim

More than that, as the new Rome, America clearly appropriated "The British Empire" after WWII, fact. So, you live on the city on a hill built upon generations of sorrow sown by countless failed foreign policy interventions, wars & propping up foreign dictatorships, but you still sleep soundly at night. If yer not part of the solution etc

Certain aspects of American culture are backwards to say the least, thats not Euro-snob bs, its a fact:

education & the waste of so much talent that isnt allowed to realize its potential...who knows if you had we might've cracked the cancer nut by now

your nation's prisons & the disproportionate internment of African Americans, year in year out

your nation's insipid money worship, across vast sections of society & the entitlements of ingrained narcissism supported by low costs of living and high living standards

Britain might be a lot of things, but it aint the manifest outlined above, not by a huge margin

Also who are you to judge how anyone grieves, feels, expresses, etc, esp at a time like this and then assume the ppl i was referring to were meaningless acquaintances. Even if they were and that affected me, i should still have the room to feel the way i do without being mocked or my authenticity being questioned. I think youre being the douchey one dude.

if you lived with ptsd, you'd have had a similar nauseating reaction that i did to the events in LV, but America isnt the world and every day far worse events happen globally which barely get a look in within your nation's focus. Even mentioning that got your knickers in a twist, so notions of context etc. How do i know what goes on in terms of the US collective perspective of the rest of the world? Cos i spent enough time in the US to see the place for what it is. Can you say the same about Britain? Case closed.

honestly, it was like reading Limpy Loo Lite, you're a grown man so you'll manage just fine when you learn how to put events into a global perspective & appreciate gallows humour for what it is and conversely for what it is not

and biscuits & gravy should be exported promptly, we could take that back as the interest on all our tea you dumped, or we'll sail up the Chesapeake & Potomac & burn your Whitehouse down again like we did in 1814

lol

The name of the thread is 'How Does the World View America These Days?' so he's really not that out of line. Bit cuntish innit.

aka constructive criticism

Britain's no angel...there are all manner of social problems here, inequalities, injustices, cunts, ffs we're subjects not citizens, have no constitution to even be amended, aristocrats STILL exist so our lisping inbred ruling classes tend to cluster around certain fee paying schools hence get university places tied up far more easily which in turn guarantees a cushy life for those concerned...

BUT, people are generally more grounded, we can laugh at ourselves and our comedy reflects that, we dont worship at the altar of £$ like so many Merkins do, our culture has been built up over approx 40,000yrs+, our music is listened to globally, our literature & its heritage is something truly golden & as a nation we've given the world legal frameworks that are solid today as when first formed

we've raped & pillaged just about everywhere a British redcoat bootprint was left, but we've also bailed out entire continents from numerous threats by totalitarian regimes & never asked for fuck all in return

i'd take this cuntry over the US every time in almost every field of life, cos *y'alls are some seriously blinkered peoples

*excluding the Grateful Dead.....maaaaaaan, what a band

Edited by cwmbrancity

biscuits n gravy

it's not personal

biscuits n gravy

see above

LOL I'm not even rah-rahing over here -- just was annoyed by your seeming to take the opportunity to whine about coverage of the lv massacre and jump on the whole anti-american bandwagon in the midst of others' loss, especially while it was still fresh... but apparently you're the offended one...

Simmer down mate. Don't worry, I'll be sure not to say a word about your country or god forbid ever compare anything to the UK from here out as I now understand just how dear and important your maniacal British fetishism is lol

oh the poor british isles, history's punching bag, just minding their own business making their way in the world quietly, not at all like the EVIL AMERICAN IMPERIALIST CAPITALIST SCUM uh herr durr ahm amerikan ah lahk muh guns an muh walmart y'all ah wud dai fer muh burger an' muh f-150 

*sings land of hope and glory*

BUT, people are generally more grounded, we can laugh at ourselves and our comedy reflects that, we dont worship at the altar of £$ like so many Merkins do, our culture has been built up over approx 40,000yrs+, our music is listened to globally, our literature & its heritage is something truly golden & as a nation we've given the world legal frameworks that are solid today as when first formed

we've raped & pillaged just about everywhere a British redcoat bootprint was left, but we've also bailed out entire continents from numerous threats by totalitarian regimes & never asked for fuck all in return

i'd take this cuntry over the US every time in almost every field of life, cos *y'alls are some seriously blinkered peoples

flol, this is some balkan level shit. don't recall such levels of clown-nationalism being exposed here ever (that is besides my own posts about israel from 7-10 years ago, lol).

flol, this is some balkan level shit. don't recall such levels of clown-nationalism being exposed here ever (that is besides my own posts about israel from 7-10 years ago, lol).

to extrapolate your logic - criticism of merka = bad, liking your own cuntry = bad & "Balkan"

it aint like i sleep in a union jack duvet....Britain's crimes are too vast to list, so i summarized, sue me

its ok, you're a herd, group mind, half of you couldnt even make up your minds whether you liked Twin Peaks or not, i dont take it personally cos that really would be gimpy, or if you really wanted, why not write some overly long inane tv review that barely gets skimmed past every couple o' weeks, cos thats infinitely more balanced

yeah it's an amazing garbage fire of a post surprised anyone thinks otherwise

what exactly, criticizing the US, or having some hope for your own place of birth & its heritage beyond its colonial legacy?

again, herd tastes, herd minds, herd lives, i see more intellectual rigour in various print tabloids than half the shit that the various Aspergers/Autists flaunt here, yourself included

wee birdies love to peck in packs and guffaw at anything beyond your usual remit

crack on mate

Edited by cwmbrancity

having some hope for your own place of birth & its heritage beyond its colonial legacy?

but you seem to be crossing the line from this above to clown-nationalism where you take pride in what is essentially a completely random event of you being born in a particular region.

to extrapolate your logic - criticism of merka = bad, liking your own cuntry = bad & "Balkan"

it aint like i sleep in a union jack duvet....Britain's crimes are too vast to list, so i summarized, sue me

its ok, you're a herd, group mind, half of you couldnt even make up your minds whether you liked Twin Peaks or not, i dont take it personally cos that really would be gimpy, or if you really wanted, why not write some overly long inane tv review that barely gets skimmed past every couple o' weeks, cos thats infinitely more balanced

what exactly, criticizing the US, or having some hope for your own place of birth & its heritage beyond its colonial legacy?

again, herd tastes, herd minds, herd lives, i see more intellectual rigour in various print tabloids than half the shit that the various Aspergers/Autists flaunt here, yourself included

wee birdies love to peck in packs and guffaw at anything beyond your usual remit

crack on mate

I’m on a phone so I’m not going to break down your post line by line but just trust me, it’s trash

having some hope for your own place of birth & its heritage beyond its colonial legacy?

but you seem to be crossing the line from this above to clown-nationalism where you take pride in what is essentially a completely random event of you being born in a particular region.

in an ideal world, if a New World Order-esque disease so abhorrent to the Alex Jones's's's of this world was to exist, there wouldnt be any nation states, we could, possibly, be one big happy family, but that will never happen because of the lust to attain power

nation states = armies = military industrial complex = binary politics, war, genocide, inequality & poverty

its down to being a field archaeologist with an embedded focus on NW-European prehistory, archeo-genetics & the deep time of human inhabitation of these islands

if i'm part of that, it is an accident of birth, but its still part of our collective & varied national identity, i'm not proposing some uber cool homunculus blob of culture that i adore & fly the flag for, more that there are some timeless qualities to these islands and fuck aye i'll stand up for them, sure you'd do the same about the finer aspects of your own troubled nation

added to that, as this is a "how does the world view merks these days", i dont think it was that far fetched to see the juxtaposition between the merkin appropriation of the British empire post WWII and pointing out some of the worst aspects of US society seen & witnessed at first hand, not 2nd hand child-like half wit petulant projection based on never having stayed in the place beyond a holiday & cliched views of the US

had the opportunity to stay on in the US and thank the gods i didnt

crack on mate

I’m on a phone so I’m not going to break down your post line by line but just trust me, it’s trash

so you did have time to answer, quite the contrarian

cool, Lane'll be next w/his tightness of jaw & firmness of face imminent

Edited by cwmbrancity