IGNORED

BOLA - D.E.G

Poimandres

Cheers for the update Martin, I'm making myself content with that Touched 3 track for the time being. I wasn't too keen on it at first, but it's growing on me.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The album was planned for this year but its been put back until next year now, its not much longer to wait (I hope) 

I'm genuinely curious as to what holds up these releases - is it scheduling pressing plant times, funding block for label releases (e.g. we only have xxx GBP to release x records in the third quarter), etc.?

Is he still tweaking the tracks, and is not satisfied yet with the final composition?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Darrell did just post this on FB:

"No more wallowing in Brexit self pity for me, it seems my numerous friends in the U.S.A will need all the emotional support I can possibly muster 1f641.png"

I replied saying that only a new Bola LP can make us feel better :p

Thanks to Trump for new Bola.

The album was planned for this year but its been put back until next year now, its not much longer to wait (I hope) 

I'm genuinely curious as to what holds up these releases - is it scheduling pressing plant times, funding block for label releases (e.g. we only have xxx GBP to release x records in the third quarter), etc.?

Is he still tweaking the tracks, and is not satisfied yet with the final composition?

The first delay is scheduling a catalogue number and if the label deals with multiple artists (aka the majority of them), then they have to wait for their spot in the release schedule. For someone like SKAM, who has slowed down considerably over the last few years, then this could have been a big factor in the delay.

Anyway, assuming the album itself is finished and Bola isn't still fiddling with the track selection or the mixdowns (if he does it himself), then the first major port of call is mastering. Depending on which engineer he uses, this usually takes at least a few weeks for them to schedule you in, as well as a day or two for the actual mastering itself. The artwork is also usually also done around this time, or sooner if they're smart :)

After that, it's sent to the manufacturers and this is usually where the longest wait time is. The vinyl pressing plant I use currently has a 12 week manufacturing delay on all orders. This is one of the quickest too. Others I've used in the past have either stopped taking orders, or have 4 months+ delays right now. This is best-case scenario too, without factoring in test presses and whether any issues occur with the cut. CD's are a lot quicker, usually only taking a couple of weeks.

Then you have to factor in time you need to allocate for promotion, as well as distributors needing time to get the record around the world ready for release day. Releasing a record physically/traditionally is an expensive and time-consuming job, sadly. When an album is eventually released, the actual tracks are often months/years old.

.... Or you could just ignore all that and release it on Bandcamp the same day it's finished :)

The first delay is scheduling a catalogue number and if the label deals with multiple artists (aka the majority of them), then they have to wait for their spot in the release schedule. For someone like SKAM, who has slowed down considerably over the last few years, then this could have been a big factor in the delay.

Anyway, assuming the album itself is finished and Bola isn't still fiddling with the track selection or the mixdowns (if he does it himself), then the first major port of call is mastering. Depending on which engineer he uses, this usually takes at least a few weeks for them to schedule you in, as well as a day or two for the actual mastering itself. The artwork is also usually also done around this time, or sooner if they're smart :)

After that, it's sent to the manufacturers and this is usually where the longest wait time is. The vinyl pressing plant I use currently has a 12 week manufacturing delay on all orders. This is one of the quickest too. Others I've used in the past have either stopped taking orders, or have 4 months+ delays right now. This is best-case scenario too, without factoring in test presses and whether any issues occur with the cut. CD's are a lot quicker, usually only taking a couple of weeks.

Then you have to factor in time you need to allocate for promotion, as well as distributors needing time to get the record around the world ready for release day. Releasing a record physically/traditionally is an expensive and time-consuming job, sadly. When an album is eventually released, the actual tracks are often months/years old.

.... Or you could just ignore all that and release it on Bandcamp the same day it's finished :)

Ah, cheers - nice perspective on things, and yes, I can see why small labels are an endangered species these days...

• 3 months later...

Ahh cheers mcbpete :)  I'm goiing to check out his work...Sorry for derailing thread.  Back to Bola

a worthy derail, literally ALL of 36's work is worth getting. Top top notch stuff.

I think they've had that bandcamp page for months, pretty sure it pre-dates the Bleepstores site actually.

Good to know, though a bit disheartening as it's clearly just a placeholder for whenever they want to bother filling it in.

Archived