IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

Guest Chesney

make sure it's a later one with the new board. Great synth by the way. I just fixed mine last month or so ago.

The keybed? I'll check on it. The guy selling it hadsn't registered it, so maybe I can send it to Moog for a fix after I do. If they even do that, iunno

No, I believe the cutoff potentiometer was a plastic shaft surface mount potentiometer on the earlier board revisions, and was prone to breaking, or becoming otherwise faulty. The newer versions are through-hole, metal shaft potentiometers:

Just bought a used Sub 37 for $1,100.00 

It'l be my third analog mono after a BSII (recently sold) and a Minibrute. I plan on keeping this one, but that's what I always say...

What didn't you like about the BSII? I want something like this in the near-to-medium future but I'm not sure whether I want that, an MS20 mini, a Minilogue, or an Evolver.

I have a Microbrute but I want something with just a little bit more to play with and potentially patch memory. I would probably keep the 'brute around, though - I love its ratty, SID-ish vibes. The only other monosynth I have is a Shruthi-1 which is fuzzy and squirmy and has a digital filter which is often a bit too gritty.

I finally got Nil's APS Coax speakers but I had them sent to my parents' place since I wouldn't be home to sign for them, and it'll be almost two weeks before I can go pick them up.  Going to be a long two weeks. I feel like it's a waste of time to work on any mixes since I'll probably end up redoing most of it.

Just bought a used Sub 37 for $1,100.00 

It'l be my third analog mono after a BSII (recently sold) and a Minibrute. I plan on keeping this one, but that's what I always say...

What didn't you like about the BSII? I want something like this in the near-to-medium future but I'm not sure whether I want that, an MS20 mini, a Minilogue, or an Evolver.

I have a Microbrute but I want something with just a little bit more to play with and potentially patch memory. I would probably keep the 'brute around, though - I love its ratty, SID-ish vibes. The only other monosynth I have is a Shruthi-1 which is fuzzy and squirmy and has a digital filter which is often a bit too gritty.

I can't really say, other than I just eventually stopped using it. I think, in the sound department, it just never got quite there for me. I actually used the microbrute a lot more when I had it. It definitely has it's own sound. The BSII is a great synth though, and the resale value will most likely stay the same or increase in the future, so I doubt that you would regret buying one!

The keybed? I'll check on it. The guy selling it hadsn't registered it, so maybe I can send it to Moog for a fix after I do. If they even do that, iunno

No, I believe the cutoff potentiometer was a plastic shaft surface mount potentiometer on the earlier board revisions, and was prone to breaking, or becoming otherwise faulty. The newer versions are through-hole, metal shaft potentiometers:

Ah, thanks. I will definitely have a looksee when it arrives. 

Guest Chesney

Yep, what Modey said. If it's an early one just get them to send the replacement board and fit it yourself. That's what I did.

I was talking to Bitroast on chatmm about it as his cutoff pot went so had to send his back and I said mine had been fine for a year and mine was a really early one, literally a few days later the headphone jack died and the cutoff pot went. It's easy sorted though.

The basstation2 always sounded a little plastic to me. I would like it for certain bass sounds but not as an all rounder unless you really like it's timbre.

Edited by Chesney

I finally got Nil's APS Coax speakers but I had them sent to my parents' place since I wouldn't be home to sign for them, and it'll be almost two weeks before I can go pick them up.  Going to be a long two weeks. I feel like it's a waste of time to work on any mixes since I'll probably end up redoing most of it.

Funny how they've traveled over the years : from APS's HQ in Poland to the US via my several studios here in France ;) Very glad they've found a new home and new ears to please! Pretty sure you'll enjoy them a lot, looking forward to reading your opinion on these marvelous little boxes ;)

I've just ordered all the components to build a new i7 6700k hackintosh. Totally fanless. If I'm lucky I'll be able to run full tracks in Numerology without too much hassle... 

I'm selling my mint Roli Rise 25. Love it to bits but spending the last weeks improvising on my girlfriend's entry-level digital piano has been an eye opener: I need more octaves. Will certainly go for a NI Kontrol S49: using U-He softsynths as much as I do, the NKS integration is quite appealing.

I'm also considering getting Maschine: I'm hmmm demoing the software, and I'm afraid I'm being sold on the Drumsynths. Some very nice physical modeling there.

Funny how they've traveled over the years : from APS's HQ in Poland to the US via my several studios here in France ;) Very glad they've found a new home and new ears to please! Pretty sure you'll enjoy them a lot, looking forward to reading your opinion on these marvelous little boxes ;)

I've just ordered all the components to build a new i7 6700k hackintosh. Totally fanless. If I'm lucky I'll be able to run full tracks in Numerology without too much hassle... 

I'm selling my mint Roli Rise 25. Love it to bits but spending the last weeks improvising on my girlfriend's entry-level digital piano has been an eye opener: I need more octaves. Will certainly go for a NI Kontrol S49: using U-He softsynths as much as I do, the NKS integration is quite appealing.

I'm also considering getting Maschine: I'm hmmm demoing the software, and I'm afraid I'm being sold on the Drumsynths. Some very nice physical modeling there.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  As a keyboardist I'm a hack at best but anything less than 5 octaves starts to feel pretty cramped.

I can buy an extremely rare Ddrum AT with a bunch of cartridges for a great price but I really don't need (although I don't have a dedicated simulated/sampled electronic drum brain yet...) it. But if I spend money on this it means I have to postpone the purchase of an analog rytm by a week or two. Get something rare I don't need now or get a common box I do need soon...

Edited by user

Guest Chesney

It's nice to own rare stuff but they have to add something to your setup and pull their weight otherwise they are just ornaments.

Yeah, that's entirely true. I have a hard time deciding if it will actually add anything, I'm only able to find one 3 minute sound demo of the unit. I'm leaning towards thinking that it doesn't do anything I couldn't do with a bunch of samples and I'm mostly gassing because of the rarity. 

Guest Chesney

Yeah, it's not particularly unique sounding but has some nice kick drums (probably just watched the same vid as you)

Depends on price really and whether you can wait longer for the rytm. the rytm will always be available, you may never hear of another Ddrum AT for sale again.

I think the rytm will give you way more musical mileage, obviously.

Which is ultimately what I'm looking for, musical mileage. Going to hold out for the rytm...maybe if the at is still there in a few days, aaaargh.

Thank you for wise words in this dark hour.

I recently pulled a Virus Ti out of storage. I can't believe how much I missed some polysynth action! This thing was so ahead of its time. Fuck the plugin it came with.

I've been wondering lately how the Virus synths compare to the Nords.. I'm very much happy with the Nord sound but I'm still curious :D

My latest GAS has been just for good rackmount/travel options for my gear. I picked up a 12U rack mixer case for cheap today, gonna attempt to get my octatrack and nord modular in there, along with space for something that hopefully won't end up being a tiptop happy ending kit or similar :P

I've also had the desire to get a real piano recently; I think it'd be a nice break from making electronic music. I re-strung my classical guitar recently, and it's great, but I want that lovely ringing sound that only a real piano's polyphony could provide..

Andertons won't be getting a Rytm in until mid July so I cancelled the order. Went through my 'studio' and put a load of stuff on Ebay so that I can hopefully buy a Rytm and then eventually get an Analog 4. I didn't realise that I was such an Elektron fanboy but their music making process works with my brain. 

Guest Chesney

haha welcome to that world.

I can't say I was enamoured by the rytm (had a go on a friends) but I couldn't live without the A4.

I'd say the Virus is in the same ballpark as the nords as they are clean sounding synths but i'd say (with my limted time with both) the Virus is rounder, if that's possible. It sounds Very professional, I couldn't decide whether that was a good thing or bad at the time. I can understand why they are used by the money making Dance peeps. And you get a random patch generator which I don't think you get until later nords.

I've been wondering lately how the Virus synths compare to the Nords.. I'm very much happy with the Nord sound but I'm still curious :D

My latest GAS has been just for good rackmount/travel options for my gear. I picked up a 12U rack mixer case for cheap today, gonna attempt to get my octatrack and nord modular in there, along with space for something that hopefully won't end up being a tiptop happy ending kit or similar :P

I've also had the desire to get a real piano recently; I think it'd be a nice break from making electronic music. I re-strung my classical guitar recently, and it's great, but I want that lovely ringing sound that only a real piano's polyphony could provide..

If you are on a budget (granted, it's not that cheap, but cheaper than a real piano) and don't mind digital, I would highly recommend a Casio Ps5x. Had one for a couple years to teach myself piano and regrettably sold it. Probably one of the pieces of gear I miss the most. The grand piano sounds amazing, and the other presets + midi and relatively deep synthesis made it a great all 'rounder.  

Yeah, I've thought about getting a digital piano, and have enjoyed living in houses with them in the past, but people always give away real ones or sell them cheap in my area, which means a piano mover shouldn't be too expensive. I really want a real piano so I can do some prepared piano stuff, and also that dull kinda plinky sound of a worn/slightly out of tune upright piano is pretty appealing to me :D

haha welcome to that world.

I can't say I was enamoured by the rytm (had a go on a friends) but I couldn't live without the A4.

I'd say the Virus is in the same ballpark as the nords as they are clean sounding synths but i'd say (with my limted time with both) the Virus is rounder, if that's possible. It sounds Very professional, I couldn't decide whether that was a good thing or bad at the time. I can understand why they are used by the money making Dance peeps. And you get a random patch generator which I don't think you get until later nords.

Same.

A4 is my heart and soul for the past 6 months and could never part with it at this point.

I can't really comment on the Nord sound beyond what I've heard from a Nord Lead 2 but I find the Virus benefits more from the sum of its parts and ridiculous voice count ... fx. I find it does well at creating subtle buzzy sounds and massive lush pads.

I recently bought Reface CP for pianoish playing, but I used to have an 88 key Yamaha digital piano, in the $1,000 range. I chose it because it had the heaviest key action, and it was fucking nuts. Made my MIDI keyboard feel like a lil' bitch. After practicing on the piano, my MIDI keyboard felt like air.

But DOOODZ... Have any of you played a Rhodes?! Motherfucking sooo lush, man. The tactile feedback of the whole system is an experience in itself. Vintage Vibe is also an option, but I seriously gotta up my chops if I'm gonna invest like $7000. I better be Stevie Wonder if I'm paying that kind of money to just jam in the corner.

Yeah had the chance to play on a Rhodes a few times and it's amazing. The SOUND is otherworldly. Owning one of these babies clearly is one of my lifetime goals!

I haven't played a Rhodes (a friend of mine who's a piano technician has one but he's slowly restoring it so it's always opened up and unplayable) but I got a free Wurlitzer in college (because schools throw the most amazing things in the trash) and it sounded incredible.

Be careful of free/used pianos though, a lot of the time they have a deformed soundboard or similar, which is essentially unrepairable, and even just getting the action back to the point where it's playable is hundreds of dollars, not to mention tuning (and don't even ask about restringing). There's no such thing as a free piano in practice, so make sure you can really check it out before you agree to take  it.

I used to play in a band with a guy who runs an independent moving company, and at one point he had 6 pianos (two baby grands and some uprights), all of which were free, and not a single one was repairable at any price.In the end they actually cost him money because his company had two moving trucks and one of them spent most of a year out of service because it was filled with pianos and he couldn't get rid of them.

But on the other hand, there's not much better than a real piano.  Just be careful.

Edited by RSP