IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

I just read someone on elektronauts refer to a metallica concert as a live dawless jam and it made me laught out loud and clap my hands.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

by that, do you mean you can hear in advance what they're gonna say?

No, I hear what they're gonna say at the same time that they're saying it.  But I honestly can't stand when I can hear a song's melody in advance.  When that starts happening it's a sign that I've listened to something too many times and I have to find something new.  That's why I like really crazy atonal jazz, it's the music that I'm least likely to predict by accident.

Imagine the absolute carnage you could cause if you were to pop a single nugget of aquarium gravel into a packet of Nerds.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1

1 hour ago, Plum said:

Imagine the absolute carnage you could cause if you were to pop a single nugget of aquarium gravel into a packet of Nerds.

i ate nerds as a kid and that statement just made my teeth crawl itch

like two eggs rubbed together on the shell

medusa scratching her nails down the pillar as she fell

oh shit forgot about the tinfoil when i had mercury fillings

bizzare electric feeling in the teeth

a little bit would've stuck to the hersey's bar

have to chew on some cotton wool now and find out

Adding a cymbal to a track always sounds incredibly cheesy at first, even when it's clearly exactly what's needed.  Figuring out how to make it sound appropriate in context is always the most challenging part of any mix that requires a cymbal... and i have no idea why the fuck this is.  It shouldn't be so confounding after 20 years of music production.  Do other producers have this same problem, or is it merely my achilles heel?  (honestly, most cymbals I hear in electronic music sound ironic to me, so maybe I'm just reeeeally particular about what a cymbal is supposed to sound like.)

Do you mean like rides? Can we hear some examples of ironic cymbals? Last question; is it the way the cymbal is played/programmed, the place it occurs or the way it's mixed that makes it ironic?

Took me a long time to get my rides right and not too long after I figured out some programming tricks/swing settings/etc and started getting the mix right I switched daws. So now I usually decide to get rid of the ride.

Sometimes rides, but mostly crash cymbals.  I don't know which tracks go with which song titles (and don't feel like listening through a pile of stuff to figure it out) but almost any time there's a crash in an Aphex or Squarepusher track it seems like it's being sort of cheeky.  Also, if you just play a cymbal crash from almost any drum machine it sounds hilarious.  But any time I've wanted to add a cymbal to something I'm working on, it's to make a section actually sound more powerful... and sanding off the comedic edges of a crash cymbal is no easy feat.  Although after posting that last message, I had something I was happy with in under 5 min.  So maybe I'm over that hurdle.

New pointless observation: Lemmy's vocal doubles sound remarkably similar to Al Jourgenson's.  Neato.

The other day I was chasing rabbits with my bike but I would stop when the rabbit got exhausted and not get closer, so it was kind of a game and I was trying to keep the rabbit from the street so it won't get run over by a car. But the next day I went to the same area and I saw a rabbit completely smashed to a flat red-grey mass of bones and flesh at the bus station, probably run over by a bus. So I'm wondering if the rabbit got run over as a result of me thinking about rabbits getting knocked down by cars or if it was just a random and completely unrelated occurrence (which I doubt). A lot of the stuff I think seems to get manifested in this reality, in one form or the other. It's not that I can just wish for something and it happens, but all my thoughts seem to resonate into manifested reality in some weird way. So I'm wondering if what I was seeing was real or if it was something shown to me by a counterpart of existence that isn't me, as a response to my earlier thoughts.

• Sad 2
  • Facepalm 1

Sounds like the sort of train of thought I had in my early 20's when I was manic out of my skull.  Some alternate theories for the rabbit thing: random coincidence (most likely), inadvertent precognition of sorts (fun!/harmless idea, but not the most rational take on things), cosmic pranksters (I prob would have gone with this one back when I was off the rails).  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, xox said:

Am quite worried about you, ding man!

Yes, me too @dingformung

Go talk to someone. Seriously. If only to get some ointment for your fingers. They must be worn out from typing so much.

• Like 5

Prior to the whole Harvey Weinstein debacle I'd no idea who the guy was. Now I'm gradually realizing just how many good flims the old codger was involved in. From Tarantino to Eli Roth, Kevin Smith and a handful of up and coming horror talents helped on their way. I can't help but wonder if the current Hollywood scene would've been slightly less stagnant had he still been in the bizzo, workin his movie magic. 

"Man cave" sounds like such a sexually loaded word that it's interesting that all the dudebros are using it.

Let me enter your man cave..

3 minutes ago, zkom said:

"Man cave" sounds like such a sexually loaded word that it's interesting that all the dudebros are using it.

It's because a natural void in the ground for human male entertainment sounds a bit contrived,  and even more creepy.

Edited by dcom

Finally listened to a 10cc album.  The first one, obviously (gotta go chronological).  JFC that is a GOOD debut album.  Production's about as good as I can imagine anything being.  Prob a bit outside the reaches of my imagination tbqh.

4 hours ago, zkom said:

Let me enter your man cave..

I've been hearing the term thrown around for at least a decade now. Used to be called "the den" when I was growing up.

Although I think it applies more to married men than bachelors.

Ah, but have you heard of the Femme Den? the She Shed? The Lady Lair? The Ma'am Cave? 

(it's a bit of a lol that some women felt the need to "reclaim" or "feminize" the idea of a man cave, considering the latter was essentially just men's attempt at trying to have a boudoir of their own)

49 minutes ago, luke viia said:

Ah, but have you heard of the Femme Den? the She Shed? The Lady Lair? The Ma'am Cave? 

(it's a bit of a lol that some women felt the need to "reclaim" or "feminize" the idea of a man cave, considering the latter was essentially just men's attempt at trying to have a boudoir of their own)

How about non-binary barn?