IGNORED

Will BOC Release A New Album?

fumi

On 4/12/2020 at 8:36 PM, darreichungsform said:

Completely wrong. As we all know music and art in general is nothing but a service industry and should please paying customers

Yes. Related:

images (2).jpg

images (1).jpg

2 hours ago, Candiru said:

I mean shit, I plan on going to Scotland at some point and I'll probably listen to threaten the BoC bros when I am there. 

fixt

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, manmower said:

Even if it was their music, so? It wasn't an official release, just something done for the WARP30 celebrations.

I'm thinking the Hexagon Sun has finally set - and you know what - that's okay. Mike and Marcus may have said all they want to say (musically).

Just enjoy the music they did release, and move on. Be pleasantly surprised if they end up do releasing something after all.

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

• Joyrex changed the title to Will BOC Release A New Album?
35 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

I'm thinking the Hexagon Sun has finally set - and you know what - that's okay. Mike and Marcus may have said all they want to say (musically).

So just like when Richard had retired and had given up the music business, pre Syro? 

Hah I never took that hook, line and sinker. That was like trying to catch a wise salmon on a stale dog biscuit!

:diablo:

Edited by beer badger

I'm surprised, Joyrex, that you are so confident that they're done. On BOC timescales, their Warp 30 NTS mix was relatively recent. From the point of view of their output or public statements, etc., that was basically yesterday. I just don't see any reason for pessimism, unless you know something about this that we don't. 

On the other hand, I'm just not so sure I care. Maybe I've talked myself into thinking about the prospect of new releases from them as highly unlikely, just so I'll be pleasantly surprised, as you say. I remember when this switch flipped for me: after all the months (years?) of the "black box" debacle, the mushroom cloud image on Warp's website, and so on, I just said "fuck it" and stopped caring if they released anything else. And then they did, and it was great, but it's time to stop obsessing over someone else's work and time to get back to my own shit, ya know? So to that extent, I agree with the mindset you're advocating. I'm only just surprised that you're saying things so definitively, especially given your prominence and influence in the fan community. That's all. 

Edited by apriorion
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, apriorion said:

I'm surprised, Joyrex, that you are so confident that they're done. On BOC timescales, their Warp 30 NTS mix was relatively recent. From the point of view of their output or public statements, etc., that was basically yesterday. I just don't see any reason for pessimism, unless you know something about this that we don't. 

On the other hand, I'm just not so sure I care. Maybe I've talked myself into thinking about the prospect of new releases from them as highly unlikely, just so I'll be pleasantly surprised, as you say. I remember when this switch flipped for me: after all the months (years?) of the "black box" debacle, the mushroom cloud image on Warp's website, and so on, I just said "fuck it" and stopped caring if they released anything else. And then they did, and it was great, but it's time to stop obsessing over someone else's work and time to get back to my own shit, ya know? So to that extent, I agree with the mindset you're advocating. I'm only just surprised that you're saying things so definitively, especially given your prominence and influence in the fan community. That's all. 

Joyrex is contractually obligated to drop false flags about anything BoC related as he's on the Warp payroll. I thought this was covered in the rules everyone is supposed to read?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, beer badger said:

So just like when Richard had retired and had given up the music business, pre Syro? 

Hah I never took that hook, line and sinker. That was like trying to catch a wise salmon on a stale dog biscuit!

:diablo:

Well, there were other reasons behind the long gap between The Tuss releases and SYRO (or from DrukQs to SYRO if you are talking strictly Aphex Twin releases)...

3 hours ago, apriorion said:

But the BOC NTS mix wasn't a release, was it? I don't recall being able to buy it anywhere in any format... 

For the record, I am not privy to anything that would lead me to knowing whether they've retired or not - it's just my opinion, and partially a guess, hopefully incorrect!

That being said, we're only 7 years in since Tomorrow's Harvest, so technically they've got two more years before what @mdg said about wanting less of a time period between releases being factually incorrect - but hey - things and times change, and at the end of the day it is 100% BOC's perogerative to release something or not. They don't owe anyone anything when it comes to when and if they release any more music.

It may be that BOC are taking their time with whatever they plan to release next, and when they are ready to release it (if they release it), it may be far longer than any previous gap.

2 hours ago, zero said:

Joyrex is contractually obligated to drop false flags about anything BoC related as he's on the Warp payroll. I thought this was covered in the rules everyone is supposed to read?

Could you please contact WARP payroll and kindly remind them I haven't gotten paid in about 18 years? :dadjoke: For the record, they have never compensated me for running this site or doing anything for them other than being very generous with info in the past, and the occasional white label or demo release.

I think the other artists (I'm looking at you Autechre) spoil us fans with so many releases, official and otherwise, so frequently that we become slightly entitled when viewing BOC, forgetting they work on a different timescale with their musical projects than most others do.

• Like 7

No major disagreements here. I just want to point out that, with their contribution to the NTS Warp 30 celebration almost a year ago (WTF!!! a year already?!), BOC haven't left the music world. That's all. As you said, they have their own geologic timescale, like from the point of view of Sagan's cosmic calendar, it's all recent enough. 

1 hour ago, apriorion said:

No major disagreements here. I just want to point out that, with their contribution to the NTS Warp 30 celebration almost a year ago (WTF!!! a year already?!), BOC haven't left the music world. That's all. As you said, they have their own geologic timescale, like from the point of view of Sagan's cosmic calendar, it's all recent enough. 

Oh my God it has actually almost been a year

Fuck

Have the feeling this is farewell from this thread for another few years. Maybe speak again in 2023?

I guess it was fun for a few days, just a brief spark of energy before being consumed by the only other source of BOC energy that is the dull, boring primordial soup of twoism

Bye 

Edited by beer badger

On 4/21/2020 at 11:23 PM, apriorion said:

Yeah. If they would have already left the industry, they wouldn't have taken part in this NTS thing under their BOC name. They put something out in public under their name, even if it was a mix. That simply says BOC is still a thing and not defunct, imo.

What is notable however, is that there wasn't any unreleased BOC part of that set. Suggests there wasn't anything to put out in the public at that point in time. Which is a rather depressing thought, imo. At least, I can't remember any unreleased stuff. Could be my memory.

3 hours ago, goDel said:

Yeah. If they would have already left the industry, they wouldn't have taken part in this NTS thing under their BOC name. They put something out in public under their name, even if it was a mix. That simply says BOC is still a thing and not defunct, imo.

What is notable however, is that there wasn't any unreleased BOC part of that set. Suggests there wasn't anything to put out in the public at that point in time. Which is a rather depressing thought, imo. At least, I can't remember any unreleased stuff. Could be my memory.

Or, none of their stuff they felt was suitable for that mix - I really think it was their favourite songs and things that interested them, which if you think about it, a weird way to celebrate a record label's 30th anniversary (especially since none of the music in the mix was on WARP :cerious:)

• Like 1

^ Warp was probably so happy to get them to do ANYTHING musically that they didn't care what it was. 

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere here, but aren't they still under contract with warp to release another album?