IGNORED

Alva Noto - XERROX VOL. 4

scumtron

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2020 at 7:25 PM, azatoth said:

what's with the CD issue not being at the usual webshops (juno). i can't buy the vinylz because I have the previous parts as CD and it would just mess with my vibe to get a discrepant format.

It's in stock @Juno: https://www.juno.co.uk/products/alva-noto-xerrox-vol-4/775774-01/

• 1 month later...

This album hums, crackles and pops rather nicely but if I’m honest I feel a bit underwhelmed by it. There are a couple of fine tracks though.

Edited by beerwolf

On 6/25/2020 at 1:00 PM, dr lopez said:

i wonder how @Alcofribas feels about this

i have the same ranking as you where 1 is clearly the best, 2 is "quite good" and 3 is somehow not quite up to par as a whole. imo 4 is just as good if not even better than 2. if 2 is "qg" i'd say 4 is "lush." 

that being said i think 4 seems to make it clear that the project has some conceptual inconsistency. this one has lots of lush strings and big verbs and cinematic vibes which seems like it has nothing to do with the cold, digital crunch of the first record and overall it seems that 1 is the only album in the series that feels really tight both conceptually and in its execution. i don't think this is a fault on carsten's part or something - over the many years he's probably just changed his relationship to the project which is fine by me. but in a way for me xerrox 1 is kind of the entire xerrox project in a nutshell and the other records have felt like subplots or something.

still though, 4 is a beautiful record. maybe carsten's most lush work to date.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

actually that's not all. We all know carsten has done eno covers before. famously on summvs. well I think that xerrox calypsoid 2 is a protracted cover/remix/reference of a long way down from another day on earth (which is a criminally underrated eno record) please listen and let me know if im crazy or not

Edited by dr lopez

2 hours ago, dr lopez said:

actually that's not all. We all know carsten has done eno covers before. famously on summvs. well I think that xerrox calypsoid 2 is a protracted cover/remix/reference of a long way down from another day on earth (which is a criminally underrated eno record) please listen and let me know if im crazy or not

You not crazy.

• Farnsworth 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

There's a Xerrox Vol. 4 streaming event on the 17th and 25th of this Month. Info/tickets in the description of the video. 

I'm buying a ticket.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

For those in the UK; Barbican, Wednesday the 26th of April 2023: https://www.barbican.org.uk/whats-on/2023/event/xerrox-selected

Pan-European orchestral collective s t a r g a z e, conducted by André de Ridder, collaborates with electro-musician Carsten Nicolai aka Alva Noto for a live instrumental, audio-visual performance.

Alva Noto, one of the best-known representatives in the electronic music scene since the 1990s, composed the fourth part of his "Xerrox" series in 2020. Based on the concept of digital replication of source material, the "Xerrox" project deals with the manipulation of data (melodies) through endless reproduction. A process of making copies from copies, the sounds of which are changed in such a way that they can hardly be associated with the original material. This creates a sound spectrum of completely new sounds: Copies of originals become originals themselves. 

Now, Alva Noto joins forces with orchestral collective s t a r g a z e to realise an instrumental version of the "Xerrox" series, specially arranged for the ensemble. A multimedia work that combines music with video and light installations.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, someguy said:

Forgot to post about this earlier, but this on right now. Hopefully will stay online!

Setlist for anyone wondering:

Spoiler

1. Xerrox Spark
 2. Haloid Xerrox Copy 11
 3. Haloid Xerrox Copy 111
 4. Xerrox Helm Transphaser
 5. Xerrox Monophaser 1
 6. Xerrox Spiegel
 7. Xerrox Monophaser 2
 8. Xerrox Isola
 9. Xerrox Monophaser 3
10. Haloid Xerrox Copy 1

11. A Forest
12. The Sheltering Sky

On 4/22/2023 at 7:02 PM, someguy said:

Forgot to post about this earlier, but this on right now. Hopefully will stay online!

Tickets booked for the Barbican show tomorrow. Really looking forward to this. Sneaked few mins of this here and there, but don't want to (completely) ruin the surprise. 

Edited by Shimon_Shimon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

Tickets booked for the Barbican show tomorrow. Really looking forward to this.

Honestly have no idea why I didn't grab tickets for this as I love the Xerrox series. Trying to nab the Youtube version so I can watch it on TV but every such site nowadays is riddled with malware and nonsense and all such bad bads