IGNORED

What's Your Favourite Sound?

Joyrex

Is there a particular instrument or sound in songs that appeals to you? I was thinking about this recently, looking at some of the songs I really like and why I like them, and I noticed that a lot of them have a particular synth sound in them, and despite the variations, they all seem to appeal to me sonically and I end up liking those songs that have that sound in them more than others.

In my case, (and forgive me if I am mistaken) it's songs that have some variation of the Rhodes Synthesizers in them - or at least a similar sound - whether used for the bassline, a droning tone in the background, etc.

What's your favourite sound?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i like laser sounds and flange

a long 808 kick still always makes me happy too and now while i think of it, the 808 cowbell!

also partial to a bit of choir too

before wisp released his stuff on rephlex, there was a really cool preview on youtube that was like choir;s and medievil breaks buti never heard anything like on his album or ep. cant find that now on YT. always wondered what it was and where it went

a really nice breakbeat or a really well designed synth patch. or the sound of a woman crying out during sex. Probably a 3 way tie.

BOC synth primarily, whatever it is they use and drumming like in Plaid's Headspin

BOC primarily use the SH-101 for their trademark sound, AFAIK

High piano sounds or violins mixed with pop music, kinda like what that Sterling chick or whatever does. Only I wish there was something better than her stuff

the *zap* sound from "Home Computer" by Kraftwerk appeals to me greatly. Whenever I hear a variation from that, I just :nyan:

Soft bloopy and droopy sounds based on bells in ambient and fieldrecordings stuff.

For techno I fall in love with ethereal, full, rich, warm and lush pads and stabs. think model 500 - neptune, transllusion - do you want to get down & the other people place - lifestyles of the casual to name a few.

also phat bass ringing kicks like that one in autechre - deco loc is :ok:

also dig 909 hats when i dance and phat booming bass burning its way into my pineal temple

-edit- grammar & complimenting mcbpete on his sound. that sound does so much for me. that whole track too. just love the whole atmosphere of it :dreamy: :grazy: :hazy:

i like the sound of a very heavy stone falling into a deep body of water. it makes a "blop" sound. love it.

flowing water- preferably a stream or water flowing down a cobblestone road

live electricity sparking- especially after a fuse or generator blows up

crickets at night and the occasional owl hooting

logs crackling from a really hot fire. the fire alone has this brooding sound, then the logs crack and it sounds like thunder

That springy doorstop thing.

The sound that happens when you scrape your fingernail across a holographic card.

Orgasms.

Synthesized baritone voices.

When water sloshes around in a metal container.

Hydraulic motors.

Typewriters.

detuned synths washed in reverb

LinnDrum snare

everything about the 808

wonky as shit synth leads

gongs, bells, the longer the better

strings played col legno

wide wobbles with a lot of low end

housey organ stabs

1/16 delay settings

those blips and alarm noises you hear in a lot of dub-influenced music

harmonic accents in general

percussion and SHAKERS! all kinds, every kind, tambourines, fuckit, throw em all in there

synth choirs

Substractive synth pads in lush verb with a long decay.

Subtle, bassy, slidey, rubbery 303 lines.

Dual bass drum sequences with a low/mid kick with a short decay and an 808 boomy kick with a long decay.

Archived