IGNORED

Autechre-Quaristice

Guest Rook

First impressions...

"Quite good"

Listening to on headphones, now halfway through... Will pound loud 2morrowz... Yeah, I think I'm going to like this a lot...!

*wipes forehead while exhaling*

For some reason I thought I was going to have a problem with this. I have no idea why.

i haven't read this whole thread...35 pages?!, nice. what i will say is i like it, it's quite well done. this album reminds me of confield crossed with incunabula. it's not the fact that this record has melodies or anything that makes me think of earlier autechre but it just sounds simpler. i mean there are 20 tracks and a nice balance of complex and simpler tracks, it works out to be a nice balance and flow. i like the fact that they did it this way, 20 tracks very varied, some simpler than others, rather than ten overly complex tracks. it's easier to get into and enjoy from the get go.

to me when i listened to it for the first time i thought some of the tracks sounds like sound being bounced around a small room breaking through walls and stuff. organized chaos and not confusion, word. i like.

Listened to it a couple of times through headphones and just cant get into it atall, actually made me appreciate Untilted a bit more and i went and listened to Ipacial Section and Pro Radii instead. Struck me that a lot of the tracks don't seem to go anywhere compared to the previous 3 albums which i find very surprising.

But i won't give up on it. It's definitely a slow burner and will crank it though a set of speakers. I will try and learn to like it :rolleyes:Because i want to like it :angry:

I think the first and last tracks are pretty similar (ie. it deliberately bows out the same way it comes in) and track 10 and 11 are the centrepiece, everything seems to be built around those track.

Interesting to see what the reviews will say, its definitely not one that can be judged on a few listens.

Particularly interested as what Pitchfork manage to come up with after the mess they made of Untilted, a reviewer clearly out of his depth and struggling to come up with anything coherent before his 10 O'Clock deadline dips into the vault of coke fuelled self indulgence for inspiration.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/reco.../15122-untilted

Highly fucking embarrassing.

LOL, i'm reviewing reviewers. :confused:

I will percevier with the album but will avoid listening to it constantly, may have to listen to Savath and Savalas at regular intervals in between. Just kidding.

Edited by Dr Clitterhaus

Love the use of strings and reverb all over. Makes it sound like a vintage techno album thats been exploded and reassembled wrongly. Kind of has the warmth and beauty of the early albums mixed with the sour melodies and frenetic moments of the later stuff.

Notwo sounds like Angelo Badalamenti mixed with Vletrmx21

Outh9x sounds like it would fit on SAW II

Been looking forward to a studio recording of IO for ages.

fwzE is fun

Edited by The CIA

only listened to first half once (lol) but reminds me alot of the last gescom release. but way better. some kick ass reverbs and nice big empty spaces gives the tracks room to breathe and a couple of nice delayed reverb tails that are awesome. defenitely not messy fx at all, clinical. the track with the three bass drum hits from right to left with the middle one with the real low bass kills me :ok:

(really should go listen instead of adding 2 cents)

i'm laying in bed listening and i felt i should add more to my thoughts, track 1-9 sound almost like ambient tracks. the first half felt to me like fsol life forms in a way to me.

i think that ambient feeling ends on the second half, i think. listening to track 11 now, sounds more song like...

"The Plc" and "WNSN" still don't make sense for me so far... The rest is really good, though.

actually i thought wnsn was one of the most straightforward tracks on the album!

also, fol3 is great, it's nice to hear autechre finally put a noise track on an album. though i'm definitely hearing patterns in it.

i'm laying in bed listening and i felt i should add more to my thoughts, track 1-9 sound almost like ambient tracks. the first half felt to me like fsol life forms in a way to me.

i think that ambient feeling ends on the second half, i think. listening to track 11 now, sounds more song like...

Yes.

Lots of people wanted an ambient autechre album and I think Quaristice is perhaps their most ambient. Probably a quarter of the tracks are beatless.

The bonus cd will have 11 extra tracks, and it's 68 minutes long. That means the tracks will average over 6:00 each. Do you think these tracks will evolve and develop like the untilted tracks?

The bonus cd will have 11 extra tracks, and it's 68 minutes long. That means the tracks will average over 6:00 each. Do you think these tracks will evolve and develop like the untilted tracks?

that's what i'm hoping. Shit, like draft tracks too really.

As far as what i got today, I'm digging it quite a lot. I absolutely cannot pick a favorite right now cuz there is so many good moments.

I wonder if, possibly because of it's immediacy, people get sick of this album quicker. It could totally work the other way though too, and it be a fave in year to come.

The whole jamming feel to it is royally righteous imo, and it has me totally stoked for the bonus disk... not that it needs a bonus disk though by ANY means.

If the bonus disk is not worth it I guess I do not mind because this is good and I didn't have time to buy the lmtd ed.

Guest themanmachine

This has a very flippant uncomposed feel to it, obviously since the music is derived from jams, I think that might rub some people the wrong way. Still I love most everything on this album, particularly the ambient pieces, they're pretty fucking heavy.

According to the warp website, this is the only time they are to be released. Probably to justify charging $66 for it.

On another note, any Stravinsky fans here? Steels really reminds me of the last movement of the Rite of Spring.