IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was it called megadrive in the UK? what about famicon

I think it was only Genesis for los norteamericanos

Yep, the Sega console was only known as 'Genesis' in North America, for some unknown reason. Mega Drive everywhere else in the world. I think the Famicom (and Super Famicom) was only ever called that in Japan though.

badlands - 7.9/10 - excellent. dunno why i hadn't seen this before... strange foreboding tension throughout. excellently portrayed unhinged rebel (sheen) and naive vulnerable waif (spacek) on true story killing spree.

i find spacek both attractive and ugly at the same time. she's definately got an unconventional beauty about her. but shit she's playing a 15 year old in this! :pedobear: it's ok though i had to check and she was 24 when filming, phew!

soundtrack is really effective... this carl orff piece must have been used in loads of movies since...

[youtubehd]-tEgzGnzojc[/youtubehd]

... the contentious debate on who directed Poltergeist Hooper or Spielberg? It's actually pretty fascinating.

I never knew there was any debate about this but I can understand why there is. Poltergeist is one of my all time favourite films. It is epic. For 20 odd years I thought it was directed by Spielberg. A few years ago, upon watching it for the first time in 15 years or so I discovered it's by Tobe Hooper and produced by Spielberg which kind of surprised me as I was hyping it up to a friend as Classic Spielberg at his peak. The opening scene is about as Spielberg as Spielberg ever got. It is quintessentially Spielberg. When I think of Spielberg at the top of his game - as he was when I was growing up (Poltergeist was the first film my family rented) I think of the opening sequence of Poltergeist with quintessentially John Williams music swooning away (Googe says Jerry Goldsmith... :shrug: ), the idyllic 1980 American suburb, the kids playing with their Tamiyas, the guy crashing his bike and dropping his beers. It's a good Sunday. It's perfect. Nothing could go wrong. (SPOILER ALERT - something goes wrong). The film is magnificent. Did Tobe Hooper do anything between TCM and then? hmmm....

Also Jobeth Williams. mmmmmm. Pretty sure I made a thread about her once. mmmmmm Jobeth Wiliams.

link to debate please

edit: wtf?

129138952285206529.jpg

Life Aquatic is pretty damn great, and Tobe Hooper has made a lot of terrible films since then. He did a remake of invaders from mars in 1986, which at age 11, I thought was the greatest film ever made, haven't seen it since. Will do so this weekend, in the company of good beer and teary eyed nostalgia.

He did a remake of invaders from mars in 1986, which at age 11, I thought was the greatest film ever made, haven't seen it since. Will do so this weekend, in the company of good beer and teary eyed nostalgia.

yup that he did!

and i thought the exact same thing you did 'hey i gotta watch this on the weekend, its a childhood movie i havent seen an an adult'

its one of those movies that i wished existed in my childhood memory rather than my adult one, it is an absolutely terrible film. There are cool moments kind of like invasion of the body snatchers/faculty style teachers being evil at school but beyond that it's really fucking bad. Tope Hooper is a hack through and through, which is why clearly Poltergeist was Steven's movie. My guess is he let Tobe Hooper helm it and then on set with him realized just how bad of a choice he was, so he took the reigns whenever possible. Ill try to find a link to the contentious debate i read.

The girl with the dragon tattoo US version - 8/10 - it is impossible not to compare it to the original and tbh i think they did really well, it didnt seem as creepy as the original because we know these actors, it is harder to make monsters out of them. the girl playing lisbeth did a very good job, she obviously spent a lot of time studying noomi rapace who i still prefer. overall i enjoyed it, and hope they do the next 2.

Killer Elite - 6/10 - odd one this, seemed to REALLY drag on forever, parts of it were hilariously bad and some parts where really good, also deniro is old and should stop.

Paranormal Activity 3 - cool house/10 - same shit different number, i do however enjoy watching them, im a sucker for this shit and a voyuer.

stridulum - this movie is hilarious. it's just another 'omen' rip-ff, but done in such a clumsy way. you have some jodorowsky-sh desert scene, b-horror movie acting and directing, and best of all - every time god appears he's got this funky blackspoitation musical theme that is so out of palce in this (supposedly) dark movie it just cracks me up. it is so weird. recommended for fans of oddities.

Inside- not as shocking 2nd time round but noticed little things i didnt see before, still it scared the shit out of my girlfriend and i reckon its the best slasher flick to date. 9/10

The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo - Cant compare to original but Finchers excellent cinematography and solid cast makes up for slow pace of the story for the first half of the film (they cut a lot our of the original). Well worth a watch but just short of being a classic. 8/10

Manhunter - Only ever watched this on a CRT last time and never realised what a class looking film it already was. I take back everything i said about Drive this is Mann's finest 10/10

What's with the girl with the dragon tatoo? You guys are saying its ok, ang give it 8/10, then say that it can't be compared to the original. So is the original a 10/10 movie?

Archived