IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Honestly I don't understand the hate for oversteps/MOT. They're both fucking incredible and, IMO, represent huge leaps forward for Autechre. Quaristice has it's moments, but overall in terms of sound design etc Oversteps and MOT are incredible and I definitely understand the transition into Exai.

Unfortunately I have to disagree with those of you saying that Oversteps is their best. Exai basically rapes all previous releases with a razor blade condom and habanero pepper puree for lube.

Exai is it guys.

Oversteps is beautiful. But Exai is Autechre....?

I think you mean Draft is Autechre

• 2 weeks later...

the emotional subtlety of qplay is a peak in their career

The placement of synths and percussion in the 'space' of the track is just perfection. Listening to this album after all the washy in-your-face style of Exai and L-event is so damned refreshing.

I know I'm going to get trashed for this but I guess it's safe to say that Oversteps is the only release of theirs that hasn't grown on me over time and probably never will. I really do hate its guts and the cringeworthy baroque sound makes it almost unlistenable for me. The only track I really like is Yuop because it doesn't sound like the rest of the album. I wish I could understand what the majority of you guys see in it.

The placement of synths and percussion in the 'space' of the track is just perfection. Listening to this album after all the washy in-your-face style of Exai and L-event is so damned refreshing.

see on see followed by Treale

tumblr_llsaliP8Dw1qe272bo1_250.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Roksen Creek

Having overdosed on Exai and L-Event, I decided to give this a listen for the first time in well over a year, and HOLY SHIT, I've always liked this album but giving it space has hugely raised my appreciation.

This has to be Autechre's most devastatingly beautiful and emotionally rich album. It's just gorgeous, deep and ethereal.

Though it's been great to experience the more forceful side of Autechre again with Exai, I really hope they at one point go back to exploring and expanding upon this softer, more contemplative side of their music. I don't think they get enough credit for how diverse they are.

Having overdosed on Exai and L-Event, I decided to give this a listen for the first time in well over a year, and HOLY SHIT, I've always liked this album but giving it space has hugely raised my appreciation.

This has to be Autechre's most devastatingly beautiful and emotionally rich album. It's just gorgeous, deep and ethereal.

Though it's been great to experience the more forceful side of Autechre again with Exai, I really hope they at one point go back to exploring and expanding upon this softer, more contemplative side of their music. I don't think they get enough credit for how diverse they are.

I've had the same experience and agree with every word here.

Qplay in particular has been haunting me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest pixelives

Fuck. It is so beautiful. Time will definitely put this one in the top 3 of Ae LPs.

After kind of wearing it out over the first 18 months then giving it a serious rest during the year of Exai. I started thinking that there is no way 0PN's R Plus Seven could exist without Oversteps existing.

He seems to have taken it as a major starting point, but in obtuse ways.

• 1 month later...

When I first listened to this Known(1) and Treale were what immediately grabbed me and I listened to.

I like the ambienter stuff a lot but Ilandes and St Epreo are two that I never skip. I don't see St Epreo mentioned much as being one of the better tracks on there.

st epreo sounds like a warped version of pir, there's something very touching going on here, at once very sombre and optimistic. One of Oversteps finest.

I listened to Oversteps today after a quite long time:

r ess --- good

ilanders --- great

known(1) --- nope

pt2ph8 --- nope

qplay --- great

see on see --- nope

Treale --- great

os veix3 --- great

O=0 --- nope

d-sho qub --- good (i always loved the ending part)

st epreo --- great

redfall --- nope

krYlon --- nope

Yuop --- good

Generally I don't like those samey tracks with that overused synth that sounds like a combination of harpsichord and xylophone.