IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Hm, krYlon. I could see how it could be seen as either structurally repetitive, or maybe the melodies are too on the nose? I dunno, i'm totally into it. It's so shimmering and crystalline, and i love the way the subtler lower notes morph.

Yeah auxien suggested I listen to it LOUD to get the full effect and I tried it a couple times but it's still doing nothing for me. I don't mind repetition at all and I actually don't think the melodies are on the nose, they just feel really arbitrary to me. I could see the shimmering being interesting but I actually think they have done a much better job of this effect on more recent stuff, for example column thirteen.

Oh man, Nuane, it's been way too long. So good.

Yeah, it's like a shoreside industrial wasteland bathed in morning sunlight - it should be ugly but instead the angle makes it majestic.

krylon is my favorite track from the album (in competition with 0=o).  fond memories of laying under trees during a particularly slow summer and being completely overwhelmed by the sound.   ive heard other people say oversteps=fall or winter but this track for me is pure sunshine

Edited by Marked x 0ne

I guess it's time to give Oversteps another try. I don't hate the album, it just never grew on me enough. Thanks for resurrecting this thread and reminding me its existence. For some reason I'm in the exact mood for something like Oversteps (after all the binging on NTS I suppose).

I guess it's time to give Oversteps another try. I don't hate the album, it just never grew on me enough. Thanks for resurrecting this thread and reminding me its existence. For some reason I'm in the exact mood for something like Oversteps (after all the binging on NTS I suppose).

Yeah I have been in the mood for it more lately, too. I like pretty much everything they've done since and it's quite easy now to see it as a nascent form of their current/recent greatness.

d-sho qub blew me away back in the day. nothing cringy about it

- Extremely on-the-nose sugary melody

- Very poppy upbeat tempo and rhythm

- That Snare

Don't get me wrong, it's a great track. It's just one of the few Autechre tracks I am too self-conscious to blast at top volume in a car - contrast with l3 ctrl where I relish the startled expressions of passers by as the razor sharp percussion penetrates every surface with echolocating precision. 

acceptable post-tri repetae autechre tracks to play for others (normies):

d-sho qub

jatevee c

v-proc

uhhh... some stuff from quaristice probably. idk

Autechre: Babysteps, a normie hand-holding AE compilation.

Personally, I say hit them over the head with tt1pd.

os veix3 is prolly my least favorite oversteps track. too quiet

os veix3 is another favorite of mine after krylon  :wink:

so that im not just playing contrarian, can we get some opinions here on O=0?

Edited by Marked x 0ne

acceptable post-tri repetae autechre tracks to play for others (normies):

d-sho qub

jatevee c

v-proc

uhhh... some stuff from quaristice probably. idk

Autechre: Babysteps, a normie hand-holding AE compilation.

Personally, I say hit them over the head with tt1pd.

I’ll second that notion

Love redfall ye. See on See was my least favourite when it was first released (I was with Sweepstakes at being extremely disappointed with Oversteps upon release)

Where u at now ?

banned

can we get some opinions here on O=0?

One of their best tracks imo. Fits right in with their other proggy tracks like Maphive6.1, Sublimit, Stop Look Listen, etc. 

os veix3 is one of the best tracks jeeesssusssssss. And a perfect follow on to treale. Might have to listen to Oversteps again. Oversteps was one of the rare ae's that didn't need to grow on me. I liked it immediately but certain tracks took longer than others.

• 5 months later...

the thing is i have it set so every time i wake up oversteps comes on and my boyfriend gives me the biggest bj in the world and there's so much cum that i go back to sleep, exhausted. at that point the album plays (b/c the bj was only like 10 secs) while i sleep and when i wake up the bf blows me again until he is blinded with cum, slumbering afterwards in a veritable liquid-cum mattress. then i have to get up to listen to all of the autechre records i own (i own 16 copies of amber and i have to listen to each copy, which is a long time). i have to text sean booth when i finish "nil" for the 4th time and he always texts back "hey, that's a lol right there watmm ftw" which is soooo frustrating. but i have to. anyway, i always put other lps into the amber sleeves so it takes forever sorting through the joni mitchell, billy joel, speedy j, faust, etc sleeves trying to find amber again but whatever i don't care i could care less. i use technics 1204s which are really cool because they are the standard. when i'm about 6 repeats of amber in i usually ignite a spliff with weed and smoke that stuff, and then the music starts to make a lot of sense and i can see why they did this album. honestly, at this point the cover looks so cool. is that a beach? with white sand? WTF MAN? i can totally imagine them recording the music there!!! i always skip over those two tracks without beats, i mean come on this isn't a fucking eno album for fuck's sake. when i'm at like repeat 11 i always put on headphones and smoke more k and stuff which makes it seem so much more cinematic, i can just literally see the soundscapes because it's like synthasthesia (eh? eh?) and at this point rob still has long hair like me so i imagine us laughing because we have to share pony tail holders and stuff, it's like we're first meeting but we're bonding and it's cool and i just know that years later i'll be helping them paint nord micro-modulars with a sharpy, i just fucking know how sweet that day will be. sean is always kind of an ass but he's such a genius and i can get him in that way. i think he realizes this. when i'm at listen 14 it's like i'm really high and it's so much fun and i can visualize their whole career: long-haired rob reaching over the surface of the ensoniq eps, sean adjusting the knobs on a nord lead 2 while the alesis mmt8s shoot out ae midi data like magic, the both of them bathing in the glow of a g3 powerbook with its upside down logo, the elektrons of the untilted era...OMG it's getting so intense and i really don't feel like a fan boy, i honestly feel like i am kind of just like them and if i could just spend more time in the studio i could make stuff they would hear and be like "this guy, he's our favorite. we really feel like he gets the whole thing. where can we meet him?" and i'll totally like refer to them in my tracks with names like "y r u here?" and "drane too" and stuff and they'll just be like "lol man this cat is fresh" which feels really good to me. i'll totally like reference their melodies too sometimes. then i'm on the final track of the final copy of amber and i'm so stoned. this whole time i'm sleeping though and i'm listening to oversteps b/c it's so real to just play it when i'm asleep and i'm having lucid dreams.