IGNORED

VHS Head - Trademark Ribbons of Gold

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

hey guyzz

just got a copy of TROG on vinyl....but i think it may be the mispress!

can anyone shed a little more light on that subject? like how many copies of this got out compared to the repress, nature of the surface noise (static and whatnot), this "artifact" (does it happen to be this white line that creates a 90' angle on the cover by chance?)

anyway i bought it off amazon from someone brandnew with the skam sticker and everything, but i did notice surface noise enough to make me want to clean the record.......um.....

otherwise i just re- fell in love with this album after hearing it mastered for vinyl and absolutely BUMPING in every frequency :music:

can sorta almost maybe look past the surface noise part...

Edited by soma

hey guyzz

just got a copy of TROG on vinyl....but i think it may be the mispress!

can anyone shed a little more light on that subject? like how many copies of this got out compared to the repress, nature of the surface noise (static and whatnot), this "artifact" (does it happen to be this white line that creates a 90' angle on the cover by chance?)

anyway i bought it off amazon from someone brandnew with the skam sticker and everything, but i did notice surface noise enough to make me want to clean the record.......um.....

otherwise i just re- fell in love with this album after hearing it mastered for vinyl and absolutely BUMPING in every frequency :music:

can sorta almost maybe look past the surface noise part...

The lines on the sleeve is normal for both pressings (spoke with Kris about the artwork, it was a fuck up with the printing place that was just never resolved).

As for numbers, no-one knows how many mispresses there were but Skam recalled any stock that hadn't been sold.

The only way you can tell if you have the mispress or not is with one of the tracks and how much crackle you get. The crackle appears in the same place for all mispresses. I'll record some samples later (sample of the mispress, and a sample of the second pressing) and shall post back here later.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3080771/trog_mispress_vs_correct.mp3

Side C - Motions

1st play = mispress

2nd play = repress

If I remember correctly there are other tracks which show distortion/crackle but I can't remember exactly which tracks, as you can imagine, I don't really listen to the mispress. But all of the mispresses exhibit the same problems.

I believe you can still buy Trademark Ribbons of Gold directly from Skam, and they wouldn't be selling the mispresses now.

i get that sound sometimes from ripping scratched cds, maybe the pressing house fucked up the master? if so though Skam would have caught it on the test pressings, so i guess that theory doesnt make sense

i get that sound sometimes from ripping scratched cds, maybe the pressing house fucked up the master? if so though Skam would have caught it on the test pressings, so i guess that theory doesnt make sense

here's the response I got from Skam when I emailed them about it upon receiving the record on Saturday 04/09/2010

"Thanks for contacting us, yes your spot on something has gone wrong with the vinyl it does not sound as it should due to a pressing plant error,

it arrived on Friday and we shipped it on the same day. We have had to recall all copies back from distributors.

Your account has just been refund for the whole amount.

We know ask that you destroy your copy (we know you won’t do this and can understand completely).

In which case, hopefully you will consider reordering the correct version when it becomes available, but again you are not obliged to do this.

Please accept our sincere apologies. We are working towards a repress as soon as possible.

Many thanks,

Skam Records"

He's releasing a new one soon. White Mask tells people about it.

I've been waiting for this for a while, knew there was new material in the pipeline since last year.

Was good to see that Kris seems to think it might be out this year.

"I guess it's more Remote Control, than say... Motions"

I was kinda hoping for it to be the other way round, but oh well. New stuff is new stuff! I'm sure he's developed some new styles and techniques.

By the way:

Video Club - September 2009

Trademark Ribbons of Gold - September 2010

Midnight Section - September 2011

Looking forward to September!

"I guess it's more Remote Control, than say... Motions"

He corrected it and said he meant to say Set Pieces, not Motions. I was personally hoping more Nightmare Park kind of stuff.

Edited by gmanyo

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

On the topic of this thread, I just revisited my vinyl copy of the album this past weekend, and GODDAMN it knocks my socks off. Fucking kick-ass album.

And I have to say: I owe it all to you guys, at WATMM. I was skeptical at first, but on your recommendations, I gave it serious attention. Once I got to "Gianasi", it was a done deal.

THANKS, WATMMSERS!!!!1