IGNORED

VHS Head - Trademark Ribbons of Gold

I don't enjoy this as much as Persistence of Vision.

There, I've said it now.

They are both fantastic albums.

The physical artwork on Persistence of Vision is amazing.

I think the 'problem' was that TROG was just so goddamn good as a debut album with every track just being incredible that he made himself such an impossible task to try and be able to top it again

Yeah. Ok.

I listened to it twice. I'd give it a "good minus" at best. I'm certainly not hearing "album of the decade", or "10/10" material. I'm hearing 63 minutes of samples constantly starting and stopping and barely ever settling into a groove, with the occasional melody thrown overtop. Some good tracks on here for sure, "Seen Enough?", "The Stuff", "The Violent Breed", and a couple others but other than that the album is way too twitchy, it's like techno with mega parkinsons disease.

Michael J Fox-core.

edit: and "The Murder Cycles".

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

• 10 months later...

bump!

just played this as loud as I could possibly get away with and my brain danced so hard, it may of turned into sludgy jam

pretty amazing record, but looking at the fan review sites like RYM and Sputnik not so well known, kind of think this LP should of been more popular than beyond the realm of watmm

definitely an under-the-radar classic

Edited by beerwolf

I fucking love Ribbons of Gold. I was underwhelmed by Persistence of Vision.

pretty much... In fact any other VHS Head releases just make me want to listen to Ribbons instead

Agree for everything except Midnight Section.

Yeah. Ok.

I listened to it twice. I'd give it a "good minus" at best. I'm certainly not hearing "album of the decade", or "10/10" material. I'm hearing 63 minutes of samples constantly starting and stopping and barely ever settling into a groove, with the occasional melody thrown overtop. Some good tracks on here for sure, "Seen Enough?", "The Stuff", "The Violent Breed", and a couple others but other than that the album is way too twitchy, it's like techno with mega parkinsons disease.

Michael J Fox-core.

. 59a5d8cab46cf77b70eb42c925b146e8.jpg

If you're in the mood, check out 

This is an especially appropriate time of year for VHS Head, with Halloween just around the corner.

You might also like this.

https://forum.watmm.com/topic/94265-sd-vtol/

This is a moniker, or band of his too which is slightly more looser sounding and partners well with VHS Head:

https://soundcloud.com/gulffire1

I much preferred this release in the same vein to VHS head's releases. 

https://phonoghosts.bandcamp.com/

https://forum.watmm.com/topic/95579-phono-ghosts-%E2%80%94-photons-in-fashion/?do=findComment&comment=2656684

Maybe not quite the same vein but similar I guess. Spliced up tape samples and whatnot.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Yeah. Ok.

Michael J Fox-core.

. 59a5d8cab46cf77b70eb42c925b146e8.jpg

nah