IGNORED

VHS Head - Trademark Ribbons of Gold

To be fair, I find the production shitty sounding, loud or not. This is down to the VHS samples, it just doesn't sound very good to my ears. This has nothing to do with the construction of the tracks, which I find uninspired and mostly uninteresting, just the sound.

Anyone want to argue with that?

lol, this album made of samples from videos is awful because he's sampling from videos and they sound terrible. nope.

this album grew on me a lot... it's still a bit dessert-y, but it took me about 10 listens to get past the choppyness of it somehow?

wish the first EP made it onto a 12"

definitely agree. I've told Ade this too, and he kinda hinted that it might be on the cards. But this was a while back now, so I dunno if it'd ever happen. Probably not considering that Video Club has been out since 2009 (and was really old material before that)

this album grew on me a lot... it's still a bit dessert-y, but it took me about 10 listens to get past the choppyness of it somehow?

definitely agree. I've told Ade this too, and he kinda hinted that it might be on the cards. But this was a while back now, so I dunno if it'd ever happen. Probably not considering that Video Club has been out since 2009 (and was really old material before that)

oh cool. what did he tell you about vieo club/other stuff? as a huge fan i want to know and feel too silly to hit blacow on facebook with 'tell me everything' inquiries.

i even feel silly to ask you.

To be fair, I find the production shitty sounding, loud or not. This is down to the VHS samples, it just doesn't sound very good to my ears. This has nothing to do with the construction of the tracks, which I find uninspired and mostly uninteresting, just the sound.

Anyone want to argue with that?

lol, this album made of samples from videos is awful because he's sampling from videos and they sound terrible. nope.

Not sure how snarky you're being here.. but reading back over the original comment it's a bit unclear. I find the sound grating, not low quality if that's what you think I meant.

I'll break it down nice and simple. Subjectively, in my opinion, when I listen to the album, I don't like the sound of it. I didn't say the album is awful because it's made up of video samples.

In other words, because I don't like the album doesn't mean that nobody should like it. Although they shouldn't.

Guest Backson

Is meatbingo, Ade or white mask?

Its Neil Sriven isn't it?

He's the third musketeer who swapped demos with them for years, and his primary alias is now Phono Ghosts.

Or at least this is what I believe.

oh cool. what did he tell you about vieo club/other stuff? as a huge fan i want to know and feel too silly to hit blacow on facebook with 'tell me everything' inquiries.

i even feel silly to ask you.

All I know is that Video Club is essentially the demo he sent out to Skam, and this was sent to them years before it was released. The whole 'lack of credits on the release' wasn't done intentionally, and Ade really didn't expect all the hype surrounding it with regard to "is it a BoC side project?" etc etc.

On a side note - the last couple of times I've seen him live, he's been playing this absolute blinder of a track that has a 303 line in it. I am desperate for this to get released.

Is meatbingo, Ade or white mask?

Its Neil Sriven isn't it?

He's the third musketeer who swapped demos with them for years, and his primary alias is now Phono Ghosts.

Or at least this is what I believe.

Yeah it's Neil. I'm hoping they put another night on in Blackpool soon, would be good to hear if there's anything new and to catch up.

Edited by oscillik

First impression on the album, I like it, but Sunset Everett feels a level above the rest because of that killer recurring riff.

Really? I actually kind of thought the opposite after more listens - that Sunset Everett sounded a bit too much like other electronica, like Justice or something. Then again, so does Gianasi and that's my favorite song on the album.

The reason I like this album so much is that I've heard very little like it. VHS Head has a really unique style.

I asked him on his Facebook if we'd ever see public releases of the master mixes so that we could get some homebrew remixes going, but he never replied. :(

Guest White Mask

Yeah we want to put on a night soon, in Blackpool hopefully but we've had a few hiccups recently between us, the latest being a high tension wire breaking on a garage door lashing the support arm into Ade's face whilst he was at work.

Yeah we want to put on a night soon, in Blackpool hopefully but we've had a few hiccups recently between us, the latest being a high tension wire breaking on a garage door lashing the support arm into Ade's face whilst he was at work.

fuck :(

I hope all is cool

Guest Backson

Holy shit, I hope he's okay.

All my respect to the Blackpool crew.

Fuck me man, you's are having a run a bad luck at the moment. Good to see you're still eager.

• 1 month later...

Listened to this again this weekend after a long break, and even more details in the use of samples popped up. It must have taken forever to make this!

This whole album is an amazing example of klangfarbenmelodie. I have to work to stop my brain from filling in implied parts of melodies that are 'in between' the notes I hear in the samples. Many of the tracks only suggest melodies with just a few notes. Other tracks sound like three different parts of the song fighting to be in the foreground at once, and each one wins out in turn. That's a bit chaotic, especially when the parts are not in harmony with each other, but it's still a neat effect. It reminds me at times of Charles Ives's multi-tonality. (dunno if thats a word)

I was also wondering how much of the drum sounds are samples of fight scene foley?

Finally, so many of the sounds on this album have really fast delays on them so they sound like a coin being scraped across a thick guitar string, if that makes sense.

• 4 months later...

There is something so exciting coming up I just had to tell you guys...

Your use of the past tense is inappropriate. And posts like that are annoying as fuck, like when Joyrex would flaunt his BOC connections without ever saying what they were about. That is just showing off, or lying -- you pick.

this album is the only one i can't fall asleep to when i'm in bed

Same as me Lord Ooze.

Though I speak from past experience as I did fall asleep once to this. I drifted into sleep on the third side of the vinyl. It was middle of the day, sun was shining, nothing sinister, just a normal afternoon. Tranquil.

Well the eyes grew heavy and I fell asleep, next thing I know I am having a very serious nightmare, and all the stereotypical screaming and shouting and bolting upright from the mattress occurs. Then it registers I have fallen asleep to this album, as the vinyl is still playing out.

Yeah very trippy.

Edited by beerwolf

Your use of the past tense is inappropriate. And posts like that are annoying as fuck, like when Joyrex would flaunt his BOC connections without ever saying what they were about. That is just showing off, or lying -- you pick.

Sometimes the ease with which WATMM can be trolled makes me sad.

Guest glittablitz

I'm showing off, there will be something nice next year at the latest. If you're in Denmark in a couple of weeks you'll be hearing some of it.

Sometimes the ease with which WATMM can be trolled makes me sad.

I don't always write people off like this because there was that one guy that posted in the Plaid subforum about a listening party or whatever of Scintilli about two-three months before it came out and he was completely right and it was awesome.

Guest glittablitz

I guess I haven't built up a rapport here quite yet, but I've met oscillik so he could vouch for me. (Brenda wouldn't keep off you and you had to get a train to work at 4am I think?)