IGNORED

VHS Head - Trademark Ribbons of Gold

you have to have realllllllll bad taste in electronic music if this isn't top 5 of the decade if not *the* best.

it's becoming a non-negotiable for me.

:music:

you have to have realllllllll bad taste in electronic music if this isn't top 5 of the decade if not *the* best.

Agreed

There's one we'll never agree on DLo

Wrong.

Correct.

Beats anything Autechre has put out since. Real talk.

is there not new VHS Head emerging soon?

Please.

Been on a fairly sizeable VHS Head kick lately. That track with the "romantic" kinda housey chords in the "methlab" mix is doing things for me. I think this mix is also (mostly) available as a proper release?

Right, then, Trademark Ribbons. So much angst in these tracks, you don't usually get to hear so much emotion in modern electronic music, but the frustration, longing, exhaustion is front and center. 

"Twitch of the Nerve" is fucking magical and cathartic and you know he watched thousands of hours of crusty tapes to find those 5 samples that spooged in unison to create an auditory orgasm. Few things boost my faith in humanity like the intro to that.

I feel like he "cheated" (OK, perhaps there aren't any -rules- about using VHS samples) quite a bit with "Red Lens Effect" but it's so fucking good... like the 80s trying to dream its way into the modern era like its life depended on it.

That said, it's a little hard for me to just plop this on these days. Not because it's anything less than a top-shelf, gold-ribbon, single-malt masterpiece, but because it helped me through some tough times so now it has a little bit of baggage for me. It was wise of him to start it off with that intro that lets you know how serious he is about the whole thing. For a few months it was my soundtrack to some long, challenging work days... when the going gets rough, though, I know where to turn.

Thanks Ade. WE NEED YOU.

• 6 months later...

i fucking love @3:42 in the title track when that cheeky filtered guitar(?) melody sneaks through but is still being synopated with the cuts along the beats.

just really good a e s t h e t i c stuff that a *lot* of vaporwave people wish they could pull off. and from 2010.

ACADEMY AWARD WINNER

Edited by dr lopez